Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 11, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #6,572 of 10,664
Ok thank you !

Concerning the dual sdxc adapter, let's say I have one 128gb and one 256gb, then I get the money to buy a second 256, will I need to do the itunes restore process to replace the sd ?
Every time we change storage on the ipod we need to use itunes ?
I was thinking to buy a micro sd card and go back and forth between my clip and my ipod with the same card, but I think it won't be possible

I tried to just add the new 512gb card and dual adapter to my existing 512gb RBd Gen7. It loaded RB, but would not recognize the additional memory. I suspect changing either card will require a reboot and reformat.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6,574 of 10,664

If you don't mind waiting a bit for delivery, you can get PNY cards from Amazon.com. I've just ordered a 256 GB one for ~£75 inc. postage and import duty.

That's how I got mine...but it did take quite a while, hence I then decided to get a kingston next time...which turned out to be a bad idea :frowning2:

By the way, rockbox has gotten a new update that means my external amp now works with it.  Its possible people having trouble with things like in-car-systems might find things have improved.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #6,575 of 10,664
That's how I got mine...but it did take quite a while, hence I then decided to get a kingston next time...which turned out to be a bad idea :frowning2:

By the way, rockbox has gotten a new update that means my external amp now works with it.  Its possible people having trouble with things like in-car-systems might find things have improved.

You mean via the 30 pin line out?

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,576 of 10,664
Couple of Rockbox questions please.  I have an ipod Video 5.5g running the version of Rockbox installed from the main utility about two months ago.

First, to what degree do most car audio systems recognize or work with Rockbox?  I recently purchased a 2014 car, and it can browse the menus on my ipod video 5.5g when running IOS.  However, it does not seem to have any kind of dialog with Rockbox.  Does the new version of Rockbox mentioned above change that equation, or is it possible I have Rockbox configured improperly in the first place?

Second, how does one download the newest version into the unit for testing?

Third, I rebuilt my unit from scratch recently to solve an issue, but the issue was not solved.  I used to be able to play the Rockboxed unit on my Sony clock radio, and it would remember where I left off.  Now it seems to randomly pick a new track to play, often from a different artist or album.  Any idea what may be going on?

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #6,578 of 10,664
  Couple of Rockbox questions please.  I have an ipod Video 5.5g running the version of Rockbox installed from the main utility about two months ago.

First, to what degree do most car audio systems recognize or work with Rockbox?  I recently purchased a 2014 car, and it can browse the menus on my ipod video 5.5g when running IOS.  However, it does not seem to have any kind of dialog with Rockbox.  Does the new version of Rockbox mentioned above change that equation, or is it possible I have Rockbox configured improperly in the first place?

Third, I rebuilt my unit from scratch recently to solve an issue, but the issue was not solved.  I used to be able to play the Rockboxed unit on my Sony clock radio, and it would remember where I left off.  Now it seems to randomly pick a new track to play, often from a different artist or album.  Any idea what may be going on?

Thanks!

I think rockbox might need more work before in-car sytems work.  I don't have a car, yet alone an in-car system to test it!

To update the version I think you just use the rockbox installer as with installing it in the first place, tell it to only install rockbox itself (not themes, fonts etc) then reboot.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #6,579 of 10,664

Thanks!

Rockbox version aside the hardware in the Gen. 5.5 is not compatible with newer DACs, because it runs in USB Device mode. That will only work with a handful of older 3rd party peripherals such as the Wadia 171 iTransport dock.

Starting with the Gen. 6 iPods, Apple enabled USB Host mode, which is what's needed for compatibility with USB DACs.

In my 2015 Mazda 3, the Gen. 5.5 iPods don't work via digital output (though they will produce an analog line out of course), however my Gen. 6 Classic does work perfectly connected to the car's USB input, as well as the USB input of various "made for iPod" DACs such as the CEntrance HiFi-M8.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #6,580 of 10,664

I think rockbox might need more work before in-car sytems work.  I don't have a car, yet alone an in-car system to test it!

To update the version I think you just use the rockbox installer as with installing it in the first place, tell it to only install rockbox itself (not themes, fonts etc) then reboot.

I might test this with a Gen. 6 Classic in my Mazda 3, if it works that would be great as currently that iPod is saddled with the stupid Apple imposed LBA28 restriction maxing storage at 128GB.

If I can get RB to work with my in-car system, I could then also lose that 128GB restriction too.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #6,581 of 10,664

I might test this with a Gen. 6 Classic in my Mazda 3, if it works that would be great as currently that iPod is saddled with the stupid Apple imposed LBA28 restriction maxing storage at 128GB.

If I can get RB to work with my in-car system, I could then also lose that 128GB restriction too.

Thinking about it, I suspect it won't work still.  I'm guessing the issue is with digital vs analogue out.  What has changed is that now you can get power out of the socket, hence my unpowered amp now works.  If they can just get remote working as well that would be enough for me (have no plan to get a car!).

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #6,582 of 10,664
I have purchased a firmware version 2.0.5 logic board for a 7th generation iPod. My 160 gb hard drive is from a version 2.0.4 iPod. iTunes only recognises the iPod as the 2.0.4 version and won't update it to 2.0.5. I have tried doing a low level format on the hard drive but I cannot stop iTunes from only detecting the iPod as the 2.0.4 version. Is there a work around to update the iPod to 2.0.5?

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #6,583 of 10,664
I think I screwed up my girlfriends Ipod... HDD failed so I tried to surprise her for her birthday and ordered Tarkan iFlash Dual and and SD card to fix it. I opened it up and inserted iFlash but when I tried to plug back in the battery cable I noticed that there is something missing... The part where the cable was inserted to fell off and I think the small tiny connectors are broken. Here's a picture - notice the white part (where the cable should be plugged in) next to Ipod and a tiny connector on the left of it. Pretty sure this should be plugged in in the left upper corner of Ipod... Is there anyway to fix or did I just waste 90 € on the most useless gift ever?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back