Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,091 of 10,664

I’m trying to get a 1TB 850 EVO mSata working with the Tarkan adapter. 

I installed the SSD, and fully charged the ipod with a wall charger – it says “Restore in itunes”, so everything looks good. But when I connect it to my PC, the ipod boots with a white screen that says “Do not disconnect”. It looks like disk mode, but it does not say “disk mode” at the top of the screen. My PC recognizes the device (“Apple Ipod USB device”) after a while, but iTunes does not and so I can’t initiate the restore. I left it plugged into the PC for about an hour and the SSD gets very hot.

I removed the SSD and followed the AOMEI procedure to reformat the SSD and fix MBR, but still get the same result. I’m not sure what could be wrong or what to try next.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #6,092 of 10,664
iTunes should see the iPod when its connected and the iPod is showing restore in iTunes. 

OK, I think I have all the parts I need for a T-pod.  Time to build. 

Where to start?  Figure out and install Rockbox?  I'm an absolute newbie with this stuff. 
Then hook msata to mobo and format in FAT32? 

I have my 7 month old twins currently sleeping in my den evenings, so working will be slow, but I should get some computer time over the upcoming holiday.  Thanks in advance for any guidance!

​Install board with SSD in iPod, restore in iTunes, Sync music or proceed to RockBoxing it. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #6,093 of 10,664

I installed the SSD, and fully charged the ipod with a wall charger – it says “Restore in itunes”, so everything looks good. But when I connect it to my PC, the ipod boots with a white screen that says “Do not disconnect”. It looks like disk mode, but it does not say “disk mode” at the top of the screen. My PC recognizes the device (“Apple Ipod USB device”) after a while, but iTunes does not and so I can’t initiate the restore. I left it plugged into the PC for about an hour and the SSD gets very hot.

I removed the SSD and followed the AOMEI procedure to reformat the SSD and fix MBR, but still get the same result. I’m not sure what could be wrong or what to try next.

I believe I read somewhere that the 850 1TB doesn't work with iPods. Only the 840.

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #6,095 of 10,664
@rgarjr, Looks great!  I like the white click wheel!

I myself need to get a new battery for my iMod :-/  It won't hold a charge at all.  I really hope it's just a battery issue and nothing more.

In the mean time I've saved $500 of "fun money."  I planned to use it to purchase an iBasso DX90, but now thinking about investing it in stocks.  Now I can't decide! lol

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,096 of 10,664
  @rgarjr, Looks great!  I like the white click wheel!

I myself need to get a new battery for my iMod :-/  It won't hold a charge at all.  I really hope it's just a battery issue and nothing more.

In the mean time I've saved $500 of "fun money."  I planned to use it to purchase an iBasso DX90, but now thinking about investing it in stocks.  Now I can't decide! lol

$350 picks you up a nice Fiio X5II.  Dual microSD card slot.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #6,097 of 10,664
I've seen the same issue with a used iPod that I acquired recently. 

The restore in iTunes messages would show up but iTunes would not detect it.  Tried it with 3 different computers, and different USB cables.  Thought maybe it had USB syncing problems, which is a bad logic board problems. Turned out it was just a bad hard drive ribbon

Quote:

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #6,098 of 10,664

Thanks - so I tried to putting my hard drive back in and the same thing happened, white screen, and in the diag HDSpecs shows the "can't open device" error, same error it showed with the SSD.  But I can hear the hard drive mechanically moving.  I also have three different hd connector ribbons and each one produced the same problem.  

SO I guess that means the logic board is damaged, maybe the hard drive connector. It's supplying power but data can't be read.

Maybe my best bet is to get a working ipod from ebay or amazon and try again.  This original ipod I used showed some faulty behavior (mostly spontaneous reboots) before I tried to modify anything.

But I'm concerned about the 850 1TB not working, since Imod mentioned that above.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #6,099 of 10,664
I posted this in a wrong thread so it is a re-posting of sorts..

I have a 500gb and a 1tb ipod. The 500gb works like a charm. The 1tb has been flaky all along, I had it working for a while and then when I tried to add more music about a month later the red X shows up. I reformat it with Aomei to fat 32 and tried it again it worked for a bit. One time itunes will discover the ipod and I can restore it other times it will not. But when I can get it to restore I put music on and it loads for a while then red x again. Another time I tried to load only 500 songs then let it set for a day after two days of loading I tried to load more the red x again.I thought it might be the motherboard as the computer has no issues with the 1tb msata. Every time it crashed Aomei shows 815 unallocated, 116.42 unformated, and 24 mb other even though I put it in totally fat 32 formatted.  I put a 240gb hd in it and it loaded fine no problems. So I am back to maybe there is an issue with the msata. Both are Samsung 840s. The battery is the 2000mA Battery from ebay and I do use the firewire/usb cable. Any suggestions as to how to fix the issue?
Also anyone have any luck with the Samsung 850s (as the 840s are no longer supported)?

Thanks

Jul 5, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #6,100 of 10,664
  I posted this in a wrong thread so it is a re-posting of sorts..

I have a 500gb and a 1tb ipod. The 500gb works like a charm. The 1tb has been flaky all along, I had it working for a while and then when I tried to add more music about a month later the red X shows up. I reformat it with Aomei to fat 32 and tried it again it worked for a bit. One time itunes will discover the ipod and I can restore it other times it will not. But when I can get it to restore I put music on and it loads for a while then red x again. Another time I tried to load only 500 songs then let it set for a day after two days of loading I tried to load more the red x again.I thought it might be the motherboard as the computer has no issues with the 1tb msata. Every time it crashed Aomei shows 815 unallocated, 116.42 unformated, and 24 mb other even though I put it in totally fat 32 formatted.  I put a 240gb hd in it and it loaded fine no problems. So I am back to maybe there is an issue with the msata. Both are Samsung 840s. The battery is the 2000mA Battery from ebay and I do use the firewire/usb cable. Any suggestions as to how to fix the issue?
Also anyone have any luck with the Samsung 850s (as the 840s are no longer supported)?

Thanks

Did you try putting the drive in your other iPod and see if you get the same results?

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #6,105 of 10,664
I had 5.5 gen iPod video 30GB, but I had it in back pocket of my bag while it was raining, so it got a little wet, and when I tried powering it on, it just flashed white on screen. So I took it apart and it looks like water just got in lower left corner of the board and under the hard drive. So now I have cleaned the board with 2-propane alcohol and dried it, but now I would like to know, if there is a way of testing if the board actually works (and screen + HDD + other things), without having a battery (I am about to order a new one as old one was inflated (I hope this is the correct term --> English is not my native language...sorry :) )) ?

Thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back