Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #6,031 of 10,664

I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems I have or if someone has a suggestion on how to try and fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Jotie

I agree with the others on a possible bad zif cable.

When I did the SSD swap in my 5.5g it acted very similar to yours. I kept thinking it was the SSD since the zif cable LOOKED perfectly fine. Others recommended to try a zif cable and that it may be bad, but I'm stubborn and didn't try it because it looked fine. Then after giving up after messing with it for a few days I broke down and ordered a new zif cable and low and behold - problem solved!

- Slater

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #6,033 of 10,664
  I had a similar problem, in my case it was a defective zif ribbon.

Originally Posted by slaterlovesspam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with the others on a possible bad zif cable.

When I did the SSD swap in my 5.5g it acted very similar to yours. I kept thinking it was the SSD since the zif cable LOOKED perfectly fine. Others recommended to try a zif cable and that it may be bad, but I'm stubborn and didn't try it because it looked fine. Then after giving up after messing with it for a few days I broke down and ordered a new zif cable and low and behold - problem solved!

- Slater

Thanks, it would make a lot of sense if the zif ribbon is faulty. Reformatting the Cf-card didn't do much to fix the problem, unfortunately. I have good hope this might make the difference.

Can I just replace the zif ribbon or do I need to reformat the hard drive after having replaced it?

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #6,034 of 10,664
Hey guys, does anyone offer a service to upgrade the HD in a 7th gen 160g classic? I was just directed to this thread by a fellow head-fi'er (Pekingduck) and hadn't even considered this as a possibility. I just would trust this to someone who knows what they're doing as opposed to messing with it myself (regardless of how simple it may be lol). 

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6,035 of 10,664
  Hey guys, does anyone offer a service to upgrade the HD in a 7th gen 160g classic? I was just directed to this thread by a fellow head-fi'er (Pekingduck) and hadn't even considered this as a possibility. I just would trust this to someone who knows what they're doing as opposed to messing with it myself (regardless of how simple it may be lol). 

I do SDXC upgrades.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #6,036 of 10,664
Hello, I just bought a iPod Video 30 GB 5th Generation and I would like to get a case for it and the one I have my eye on is for the iPod Classic 80/120/160 GB. It comes with two backs, a slim one for the 160 GB and a fat one for the 80/120 GB so would the fat one fit the IPod Video?

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #6,039 of 10,664
Have any of you had issues with Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) damage to your bare SSDs?  

Are they the "don't handle when wearing woolen socks on the carpet" type of sensitive, or the "you must wear a grounded wrist strap on a grounded mat in a humidity and temperature controlled room" type of sensitive?

I just bought a Samsung EVO 850 for my iPod, and opened up the case without really thinking about it .  I didn't see the ESD warnings on the case until afterwards.  

I mean, I never felt a shock or anything, and I handled it pretty gingerly.  I was bare-footed too. But I also haven't actually had a chance to test it.

ESD precautions are a Big screw*** Deal where I work, so I get pretty paranoid about this kind of thing.  

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #6,041 of 10,664
Thanks for that.

Next question:

So I've got the Tarkan mSATA adapter, a Samsung 850 EVO. and a 5th gen 60GB iPod video.  I'm looking for a replacement battery.  I'm currently on my second battery which has been in there for about 6 years now, and it was never reliable.

Which vendor/s sell good, reliable batteries that will fit that setup?

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #6,045 of 10,664
Just ordered it. Thanks for the advice!

I wonder...have any of you done a hard drive upgrade (SSD, CF, etc) on a 3rd Gen 15GB iPod? I've always loved the control interface/ aesthetics on mine, but it has such a low capacity, and it's battery is long dead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back