Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 25, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #5,986 of 10,664
The iPod Videos 5 and 5.5 and Classic 160GB thin can go above 128GB using Apple O/S. The ones that are capped to 128GB with Apple O/S are the Classics: 160GB thick, 80GB, 120GB.

Don't think u can RockBOX an iPod on OSX, only Windows.

May 26, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #5,987 of 10,664
The iPod Videos 5 and 5.5 and Classic 160GB thin can go above 128GB using Apple O/S. The ones that are capped to 128GB with Apple O/S are the Classics: 160GB thick, 80GB, 120GB.

Don't think u can RockBOX an iPod on OSX, only Windows.

I have a 7g iPod with a non-SSD 240GB drive doing just fine. I had to get an aftermarket back for it, since the 7G back was too thin and the 240GB Toshiba ZIF drive was too fat - but aside from that it has worked great for a couple of years. That being said, you can actually FEEL the torque of the platters when it spins up ;-pp

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #5,989 of 10,664
Hello,

I've got a 5th gen 60GB that I'm looking to upgrade to a 500GB SSD using the Tarkan adapter.  I've heard it mentioned that there might be issues if I don't upgrade the battery.

Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks!

PS: I should mention that I pretty much exclusively use it with my car's headunit, connected via 30pin to USB.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #5,990 of 10,664
You only need to worry about the battery when you're syncing music, you can do it batches at a time with a regular battery or get a dual FireWire/USB cable.

Read Tarkans Blog and the messages in there, lots of good info.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,991 of 10,664
I have recently purchased an ipod 5th generation and put in the tarkan adapter and a pny 256gb sdxc.  Was able to get itunes to see the device, restore it and I had it sync my 132.87 gb of music.  Sync completed.  Ejected ipod from itunes.  Screen went to apple logo and stayed there.  I tried putting it in disk mode and then if I plug it back in it isn't even recognized.  If I do a hard reset it gives me the screen that states to connect to itunes and restore.  Upon attempting to restore I get error 1429.   Please help.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #5,992 of 10,664
  I have recently purchased an ipod 5th generation and put in the tarkan adapter and a pny 256gb sdxc.  Was able to get itunes to see the device, restore it and I had it sync my 132.87 gb of music.  Sync completed.  Ejected ipod from itunes.  Screen went to apple logo and stayed there.  I tried putting it in disk mode and then if I plug it back in it isn't even recognized.  If I do a hard reset it gives me the screen that states to connect to itunes and restore.  Upon attempting to restore I get error 1429.   Please help.

Did you get the Tarkan bundle, or are you trying to use the iFlash board with some other CF-SD adapter?

Most (all?) other CF-SD adapters won't address the full capacity of a 256GB SDXC card, Tarkan's CF-SD adapter that he bundles with the iFlash runs custom firmware to solve that issue.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #5,997 of 10,664
I did not :frowning2: ! Yikes I just put the card in the adapter and booted it and connected to itunes, itunes restored it & I ejected it set the date and time and checked to make sure it read the card correctly. I plugged it back in synced my library and then these issues. Thank You I will pull the card and prep it in Aomei.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #5,998 of 10,664
I think using AOMEI and starting fresh is not a bad idea. 

Are you rockboxing the unit?  If so, there is a specialized utility that Tarkan pointed out to me that helped out with some sync issues I was having related to Rockbox. 

It looks like you are trying to do this anyway, but be sure to transfer FLAC files etc. when running under IOS not under Rockbox (if you are Rockboxing).  Rockbox has flaky usb drivers when it comes to transfers; but it sure makes the unit sing during playback.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #5,999 of 10,664
It booted and recognized 238gb like it was supposed to it wasn't until after I synced my collection that I had a problem. Is it likely that the cable came loose during sync?

It isn't likely the cable came loose during sync, but if it was never seated properly in the first place it could be the source of your problem. Others who got that error message were able to resolve it by reseating the cable being sure it is both fully seated and not crooked at all. If this was a used iPod, it's also possible someone prior to you has poked around inside and potentially damaged the ribbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back