Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #5,975 of 10,664
Hey guys!

I just recently purchased a 80gb ipod classic 5.5g and added in a 256gb ssd and loaded rockbox on it using beyondwinds ssd mod build.

Everything works great however, I am more concerned to the actual performance of rockbox on the ipod. Coming from a sansa fuze, the UI feels slow at times while listening to music especially FLACS and the ipod also fails to play 24 bit flacs without skipping. Also, while listening to some 320kbps mp3's, the song skips at random times especially when the screen turns off. I just want some input from 5.5g rockbox owners, is this normal?

Please let me know guys so I can justify my purchase or if I have a faulty ipod/ssd combo.

Thanks!

May 24, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #5,976 of 10,664
Hey guys!

I just recently purchased a 80gb ipod classic 5.5g and added in a 256gb ssd and loaded rockbox on it using beyondwinds ssd mod build.

Everything works great however, I am more concerned to the actual performance of rockbox on the ipod. Coming from a sansa fuze, the UI feels slow at times while listening to music especially FLACS and the ipod also fails to play 24 bit flacs without skipping. Also, while listening to some 320kbps mp3's, the song skips at random times especially when the screen turns off. I just want some input from 5.5g rockbox owners, is this normal?

Please let me know guys so I can justify my purchase or if I have a faulty ipod/ssd combo.

Thanks!

Yes, Rockbox doesnt work well with 5.5th iPod (with PNY 256GB). I dont use rockbox because of same problems...

May 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,977 of 10,664
Yes, Rockbox doesnt work well with 5.5th iPod (with PNY 256GB). I dont use rockbox because of same problems...

Ah. Crap, I hope I'm not stuck with this ipod then :p My fault I should have done more research. I can't stand apples os I must use rockbox

Let's say I got a 6g or 7g.

Rockbox and a 256ssd should work well? I know about the battery issues with ssd but I'll be fine

May 24, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5,980 of 10,664
I would disagree with the comment about the 5.5g not working with rockbox. 

What typically goes wrong is the method by which one transfers files to the ipod.

Seems goofy, but one must be in IOS mode when copying files.  Otherwise corruptions can and will occur.

If you transferred files while Rockbox was in control, the flaky usb controller of Rockbox causes many problems.

If you transferred files while IOS is in control, there is a  potential issue with file corrruption.  I would erase the files than transfer the problem files over again.

Rockbox works just fine on my 5.5g that originally had 80gb.  I also have a Tarkan adapter and 256 SD card installed and all is fine.

Please report back on how that worked.

May 25, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5,981 of 10,664
I think my issue is the adapter combo I used. I went for cheapness but probably should have gotten one from Tarkan.

It's funny because the 24 bit FLAC that I am using to test plays fine when I am running rockbox off the 80GB HDD that it came with, however when I install the SSD it starts skipping on the same song.

I probably should have gone for the CF/SDXC method than the SSD route, not sure why I did that, again my fault should have done more research, got a little excited.

I am using the following SSD/Adapter combo: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNEWN98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 25, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #5,982 of 10,664
  I think my issue is the adapter combo I used. I went for cheapness but probably should have gotten one from Tarkan.

It's funny because the 24 bit FLAC that I am using to test plays fine when I am running rockbox off the 80GB HDD that it came with, however when I install the SSD it starts skipping on the same song.

I probably should have gone for the CF/SDXC method than the SSD route, not sure why I did that, again my fault should have done more research, got a little excited.

I am using the following SSD/Adapter combo: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNEWN98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you compared the md5 sums to make sure you actually have the same files on the SSD and the Hard drive?

May 25, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #5,983 of 10,664
I would disagree with the comment about the 5.5g not working with rockbox. 

What typically goes wrong is the method by which one transfers files to the ipod.

Seems goofy, but one must be in IOS mode when copying files.  Otherwise corruptions can and will occur.

If you transferred files while Rockbox was in control, the flaky usb controller of Rockbox causes many problems.

If you transferred files while IOS is in control, there is a  potential issue with file corrruption.  I would erase the files than transfer the problem files over again.

Rockbox works just fine on my 5.5g that originally had 80gb.  I also have a Tarkan adapter and 256 SD card installed and all is fine.

Please report back on how that worked.

This is what I would like to do with mine. Except, I would like to use the apple UI. Is this possible with the 256gb sd card? If so which adaptor card combo works? I have a very seldom used, healthy 5.5gen 80gb. Would love to make it slimmer and have a high capacity battery, and 256gb is plenty for my travels. Just got it and already love the wolfson DAC over the more current DAC in my 7th gen.

May 25, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5,984 of 10,664
This is what I would like to do with mine. Except, I would like to use the apple UI. Is this possible with the 256gb sd card? If so which adaptor card combo works? I have a very seldom used, healthy 5.5gen 80gb. Would love to make it slimmer and have a high capacity battery, and 256gb is plenty for my travels. Just got it and already love the wolfson DAC over the more current DAC in my 7th gen.

The Tarkan SDXC bundle with a 256GB PNY card will be your best bet. Not sure I've seen a high capacity slim battery though. You're just going to have to use a normal one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back