Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #5,958 of 10,664
Right, I now have a 5G 60GB (64MB RAM) iPod Video. I've paired this up with a 1TB 840 EVO and successfully installed Rockbox. I removed the SSD from the iPod, plugged it into my PC and transferred 920GB (114,537 tracks) worth of songs. I left Rockbox to scan the database, and then it asked me to reboot the iPod. Turned it on, goes to splash screen, and then I'm presented with a screen saying 'data abort at 0005b140'

So, I take it the iPod cannot handle around 100k songs no matter what?

May 22, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #5,959 of 10,664
  Is it still necessary to use beyondwind's patched rockbox for the V5 ipod motherboard?
I have had to use it to get any of the V5.5 ipods to work correctly.
Here's my procedure for using a 1 TB EVO in my iPod v5.5:
put the m-sata into the motherboard
use AOMEI to delete all partitions
select the disk to choose "rebuild MBR" from the menu
click Apply in AOMEI.
Shut down computer and remove the m-sata
Install the m-sata into the ipod and restore in iTunes (will Take awhile to complete)
Using Rockbox Utility install Rockbox onto ipod
copy Beyondwind's .rockbox folder to the ipod
Reboot ipod into rockbox
After following this procedure I have been successful in copying music to the ipod, however, I have not been successful in getting all 750+GB of music to work on it. It seems like after a certain number of data is transferred, The rockbox locks up at the scanning disk screen.
Have not experienced the problem with 512GB m-satas. I can fill them up without issue.
Anybody have any experience similar to mine? If so, What can I do to fix it?

I think you have done everything correctly and it's perfectly normal you won't be able to load that 1TB drive completely full using the USB cable.

You would be better off with a 5g instead of 5.5g for this mod so you could load the drive (after the ipod restored and rockboxed) completely full thru your PC's motherboard and your ipod will recognize it.

Right, I now have a 5G 60GB (64MB RAM) iPod Video. I've paired this up with a 1TB 840 EVO and successfully installed Rockbox. I removed the SSD from the iPod, plugged it into my PC and transferred 920GB (114,537 tracks) worth of songs. I left Rockbox to scan the database, and then it asked me to reboot the iPod. Turned it on, goes to splash screen, and then I'm presented with a screen saying 'data abort at 0005b140'

So, I take it the iPod cannot handle around 100k songs no matter what?

Stop scanning the database for 920GB's of music. You are asking too much from this old ipod with that monster 1TB drive.

Just enjoy listening to the music. :)

May 22, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,960 of 10,664
After a few frustrating days trying to get an mSATA to USB enclosure to properly get rid of the red X on my 1TB drive.

Finally grabbed a hold of an mSATA to 2.5" SATA adapter today, connected it to my Windows PC through a SATA port, first try and got the iPod out of the red X.  

Used AOMEI, to Rebuild MBR, Delete All Partitions, Format a new FAT32 partition, then shut down computer. 

Put mSATA card in the iPod and finally got the "restore in iTunes' message. 

Used iTunes to restore it and now dumping music on it.  

May 22, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #5,962 of 10,664

Stop scanning the database for 920GB's of music. You are asking too much from this old ipod with that monster 1TB drive.

Just enjoy listening to the music. :)

I concur, thats a $hit load of music loaded into a 10 year old device. 
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #5,968 of 10,664
Now that selling is trending, I have a custon 5.5 video (thin, black, 64mb board, tarkan kit with 128GB SDXC, new 650mAh battery) for sale. I just got way too used to the classic interface and features. Trade for a last gen classic would be perfect.

May 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #5,969 of 10,664
Has anyone experienced faulty click wheels on eBay? 

I'm gonna have to buy a new one but yeah, i need to know due to almost blowing my brains out as my menu button doesnt work,
I've experienced a similar thing on another mother board.

Both my 480gb and 1tb are gonna just keep getting more and more expensive if i don't get them to work 
mad.gif

I think after these two i might just stop building iPod, depends if i can even get the click wheels to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back