Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 11, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #5,838 of 10,664
  There is no difference in Rockbox... In original firmware difference is in number of songs that you can sync....

Is there really no difference at all?  I would have expected the additional on-board memory to make some difference in performance - either a bigger buffer for playback or a faster/smoother database.

Certainly one of the things that's cool about Rockbox is that it means you don't have to pay a premium for a 7th gen motherboard, as any video or classic can take larger storage if you rockbox it.  I have a couple of refurbished 7th gens, but as they are rockboxed I slightly think I might as well have just gotten an older model for less.  I'm hoping they at least give slightly better battery life or something!

May 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5,839 of 10,664

Certainly one of the things that's cool about Rockbox is that it means you don't have to pay a premium for a 7th gen motherboard, as any video or classic can take larger storage if you rockbox it.  I have a couple of refurbished 7th gens, but as they are rockboxed I slightly think I might as well have just gotten an older model for less.  I'm hoping they at least give slightly better battery life or something!

Yes 7th Gen give better battery life but I like sound of the 5.5th Gen iPod with Wolfson chip, sounds much better...

May 11, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5,840 of 10,664
PNY 256GB SDXC is best buy at the moment... Everything works fine with that memory card...

Agreed, and get the Tarkan bundle to avoid any issues with the 256GB SDXC not working right with a CF-SD adapter.

Awesome! Thanks guys! Yeah, I plan on getting the Tarkan bundle!

That was an 80GB Gen. 5.5 model.

Ah... So, you have multiple modded iPods?!? Or did you get rid of the 30Gb one you mentioned earlier?!?

May 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #5,841 of 10,664
So, you have multiple modded iPods?!? 

I haven't counted exactly how many ipods I have but I am positive I have more than 10. All of them were modded for bypassing stock amp and storage. These ipods are the best toys I ever had since I was a little kid. 

My favorites are the one with a 256GB CF and a 2000mAh battery and the 1TB SSD loaded with more than 920GB's of music. They are awesome.

May 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #5,842 of 10,664
Awesome! Thanks guys! Yeah, I plan on getting the Tarkan bundle!
Ah... So, you have multiple modded iPods?!? Or did you get rid of the 30Gb one you mentioned earlier?!?

Yes I have 4 modded iPods:
an originally 80GB Gen. 5.5 now with 480GB mSATA
an originally 30GB Gen. 5.5 now with 256GB SDXC
an originally 80GB 6th Gen. now with 128GB SDXC
an originally 4GB iPod mini now with 128GB SDXC

May 11, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #5,845 of 10,664
  I have slightly more than 'too many', but slightly less than 'enough'.

I have way more than what I need but slightly less than what I want.  
wink_face.gif

Seriously, I use some of them for music backup and portable drives, thanks to rockbox.

May 11, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #5,848 of 10,664
  Yes I have 4 modded iPods:
an originally 80GB Gen. 5.5 now with 480GB mSATA
an originally 30GB Gen. 5.5 now with 256GB SDXC
an originally 80GB 6th Gen. now with 128GB SDXC
an originally 4GB iPod mini now with 128GB SDXC

So, how does the performance compare between the 80->480Gb mSATA 5.5 Gen and the 30->256Gb SDXC 5.5 Gen ?!?! Navigation, playback, number of songs, etc... and are you using them on stock Apple OS, or are they RockBoxed?!?

Quote:
  I haven't counted exactly how many ipods I have but I am positive I have more than 10.

Yeeees

Nice! Looks like fun! Yeah, I have a few myself, but all different models...

So, on your iVue, what amp is that paired with?!? and is that modded to be a digital out on the Fiio LOD?!?

I have slightly more than 'too many', but slightly less than 'enough'.

That's exactly right!

May 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5,849 of 10,664
Mine? Mine did not work out. Had a 30GB 5th Gen: put in a new battery; put in a new switch: put in the CF adapter & SD card. 

The new switch appears to be defective; sometimes the unit works OK; sometimes it gets wonky. Out goes the SSD; off to eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back