Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #5,776 of 10,664
  Wow you guys really only want to charge once a week or what? My 5g has skipped to the next song a twice while playing lossless. Could this be because it's a 30GB model and has low memory? Both times I hit back and the songs played fine.

Are you encoding your own lossless files? Are you running Apple software or Rockbox? I know that if you run Apple you must be using M4A and the iPod will not like a lot of files if encoded at a sample rate of 48,000 and will try and skip them. You need to use 44,100 which is CD quality. iTunes will play 48,000 sample rate files just fine from your iPod but the iPod will try and skip files when playing through the headphones or dock and not all files, only some. I had file skipping issues before I figured that out. After redoing everything at 44,100 I have not had any file skipping since. I am glad I only tested a few albums before doing my entire collection as redoing thousands of songs would have made me very sad. As for battery life I drag one iPod around everywhere and I do not always have access to a charger nor do I want to be connected to a wall all of the time and it is used every day.

May 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,777 of 10,664
They were files I encoded and I running Apple both times. I did all at 44.1. For battery life I was thinking maybe of using AAC anyways. I just loaded up mostly everything in ALAC because I have so much space now. True VBR at the highest setting will be good enough for being outside and smaller files should mean less loading into RAM and longer battery life.

May 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,779 of 10,664
I had someone buy one of my 5th gen mods and had the same issue. The songs that were skipping were over 1411kbps. He reencoded his library and the issue was fixed.

I had a similar idea so in mid typing of my previous post I checked the info of the last song to skip using iTunes and it says 1066 which was highest for that album. Weird that when I hit back they play fine. AAC will probably get used for most stuff anyways.

May 2, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,780 of 10,664
Hello.

My equipment.

1. iPod Classic 5.5 Gen,
2. Samsung 840 EVO 1TB,
3. Tarkan iFlash to mSata Adapter,
4. Replacement Battery, 2000Mh.

Sequence of operations.

1. Connected parts among themselves,
2. Connected iPod to PC and (accidentally) formatted new appeared device in exFAT via Windows,
3. Turned on iPod and sad smile with www.apple.com/ru/support message appeared. Turned off.
4. Connected my SSD to my ultrabook to mSata slot (because I haven't SSD enclosure) and deleted all logical disks via standard Windows software.
5. Turned on iPod with my SSD and "connect to itunes to restore" message appeared.
6. Connected iPod to PC and Windows can't recognize SSD disk.

Two big questions.

1. I must be formatting SSD in FAT32 via Windows only?
2. Prompt software, which is exactly can be done?

May 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5,781 of 10,664
Hey folks, I've just recently purchased a second-hand iPod Classic 6th Generation 160GB. I know I can upgrade the battery from the standard to a high capacity battery, the question is how do I upgrade from the standard harddrive to an SSD or Memory Card???

May 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #5,784 of 10,664
  Hey folks, I've just recently purchased a second-hand iPod Classic 6th Generation 160GB. I know I can upgrade the battery from the standard to a high capacity battery, the question is how do I upgrade from the standard harddrive to an SSD or Memory Card???

Reading this thread, ordering stuff and putting it together.

May 2, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5,785 of 10,664

Reading this thread, ordering stuff and putting it together.

It's 386 pages. I have no idea where to begin. All I require is a simple list of compatible parts, I would then do the required build at work as and when possible. I have a motorbike with an 800W speaker system and with the current harddrive, I'd ony have to hit a pot hole and the iPod would just die as it would if I dropped the thing.

May 2, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #5,786 of 10,664
  Hello.

My equipment.

1. iPod Classic 5.5 Gen,
2. Samsung 840 EVO 1TB,
3. Tarkan iFlash to mSata Adapter,
4. Replacement Battery, 2000Mh.

Sequence of operations.

1. Connected parts among themselves,
2. Connected iPod to PC and (accidentally) formatted new appeared device in exFAT via Windows,
3. Turned on iPod and sad smile with www.apple.com/ru/support message appeared. Turned off.
4. Connected my SSD to my ultrabook to mSata slot (because I haven't SSD enclosure) and deleted all logical disks via standard Windows software.
5. Turned on iPod with my SSD and "connect to itunes to restore" message appeared.
6. Connected iPod to PC and Windows can't recognize SSD disk.

Two big questions.

1. I must be formatting SSD in FAT32 via Windows only?
2. Prompt software, which is exactly can be done?

Yes you need to format it in FAT32 and you will have to do it with the SSD card in an adapter directly attached to the motherboard of you PC. And after you do the formatting that way, you will need to power off the PC before you take the card out of the adapter. Now the 1TB is ready for restore of your ipod.

Once you have the ipod with the 1TB restored, you will 99.99% likely need to place the 1TB card back to that adapter attached to the motherboard for loading your music files IF you want to load the 1TB card fully and successfully. From my experience this is the ONLY way you can have that 1TB card filled completely.

Once you have done all these, you will be smiling and feeling good about owning a 1TB ipod video which actually works.  :)

May 2, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #5,787 of 10,664
  It's 386 pages. I have no idea where to begin. All I require is a simple list of compatible parts, I would then do the required build at work as and when possible. I have a motorbike with an 800W speaker system and with the current harddrive, I'd ony have to hit a pot hole and the iPod would just die as it would if I dropped the thing.

it's a lot of pages however after reading a few recent of them, you will begin to know what folks are using.  

May 3, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #5,788 of 10,664

Hi,

I am new to the forums although I have been following this topic for about 3 years. I also have tried the SSD mod with a msata SSD, but because of the issues with the heat the SSD generated, the bad battery lifetime, a ripped of battery connector and other issues I decided that I would use a zif SSD or compact flash card for the mod. I chose to wait until prices for compact flash cards and zif SSDs would become more reasonable. (I think €0 - €300 is a reasonable price for such a device). I did not want to use SDXC card because of the extra adapter required and lesser battery life according to Tarkan’s charts.

But then I found by accident on Ebay and Amazon a reasonable priced zif SSD. Although some of  the sellers descriptions  are saying it’s input voltage is rated at 3.3v_%5, but on the stickers of the drive is stated DC:5V. I asked a seller on Amazon about the sticker and he said: “the  input voltage is 2.7v-6.0v is ok for function”. But now is my question is this even possible? because I believe most of this type SSDs are not supported in such a wide range of input voltage. (Most are rated at 3.3 and 5.0v.) Did anyone ever tried this type of SSD with an iPod video 5g or 5.5g?

Amazon uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zheino-256GB-Solid-State-Drives/dp/B00WG4RMG8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430648614&sr=8-2&keywords=zif+256gb+ssd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zheino-Solid-State-Macbook-Rev-a1237/dp/B00W1F0Y9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430648614&sr=8-1&keywords=zif+256gb+ssd

Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zheino-1-8-ZIF-CE-256GB-SSD-for-MacBook-Air-1st-Rev-A1237-Dell-D420-D430-Ipod-/171749804748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fd160acc

May 3, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5,789 of 10,664

It's not that hard to figure out.  I'd suggest you go look at Tarkan's site, it explicitly tells you what parts are known to work. And his adaptors are probably the most reliable choice.

If you have a 6th gen you'll either need to rockbox or stick to 128gb or less, though. 

May 4, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #5,790 of 10,664
Finally all the parts arrived, so I've just finished my iPod mod and would like to thank You all.
The setup is the following:
-iPod 5.5G 64mb logic board from a 80GB fat
-Slim Video front and backplate from a 30GB
-Tarkan iFlash bundle
-128GB QUMOX SDXC
-Original FW

So far everything is smooth and nice at around 6k songs. 
Feels strangely light in hand without HDD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back