Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 20, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #4,291 of 10,664

The 60Gb and 80GB models have a buffer size of 64MB, twice of the 30GB models. For the 1TB msata mod, I strongly recommend using the 5g 60GB model due to its buffer size and its ability for file transfer via motherboard. I am still not aware of anyone successfully getting a 1TB loaded beyond 900Gb's thru the USB cable only. 

Why can you load a 60GB model through the motherboard? And I assume that by that you mean plug the mSATA in an adapter and then connecting it on a computer? 

I have no idea if there is a limit, but if there is one it can't be 7,500 songs as I have about 7,900 ALAC tracks currently on a Gen 5.5 Video that was formerly a 30GB model, but now has the Tarkan adapter bundle and a 256GB SDXC card, running v 1.3 firmware.

I thought the gen5 video where the 30GB ones and 5,5gen where the bigger ones but apparently this is not the case. So could someone please tell me what the difference between both is?

Edit: found the answer for my last question here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/ipod-faq/difference-between-5th-generation-ipod-and-enhanced-5th-generation-ipod.html

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #4,293 of 10,664
And yet again in that particular link, just like on iFixit, they are stating the 30GB models have a 7,500 song limit, which is absolutely not correct.

We don't need to belabor that point any further, I just wish to add the clarification one more time for anyone who clicks that link, the song capacity limits stated are incorrect as proven by various members on this forum.
I think here their limit its due to the capacity of the hats drive since they don't really talk about mods. And the reason that I would like to know is that I'd prefer to have search functionality.

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,294 of 10,664

And yet again in that particular link, just like on iFixit, they are stating the 30GB models have a 7,500 song limit, which is absolutely not correct.

We don't need to belabor that point any further, I just wish to add the clarification one more time for anyone who clicks that link, the song capacity limits stated are incorrect as proven by various members on this forum.

One thing that's interesting about the 7,500 number.. It is exactly the "estimated" number of songs a 30gb iPod should hold, based on Apple's old Metric of 1000 songs per 4 GB (based on 128kbps AAC).

Of course, I can't even conceive of the idea of a quarter million songs on a Terrapod. 
eek.gif

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #4,295 of 10,664

One thing that's interesting about the 7,500 number.. It is exactly the "estimated" number of songs a 30gb iPod should hold, based on Apple's old Metric of 1000 songs per 4 GB (based on 128kbps AAC).

Of course, I can't even conceive of the idea of a quarter million songs on a Terrapod. 
eek.gif

Ah, so that's where this bogus number comes from. Apple's original, now dated (who uses 128kbps?) "estimate".

Funny how various sites such as that iFixit Answer then take that and state it as a cold hard fact. That iFixit Answer even went on to say don't bother putting a 240GB HDD into an old 30GB Gen. 5 because you would only be able to utilize 120GB of it.

Completely inaccurate, and hopefully we can put it to bed now. But the problem is people will keep stumbling on that faulty information, and then ask the same question here over and over again.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4,296 of 10,664

Ah, so that's where this bogus number comes from. Apple's original, now dated (who uses 128kbps?) "estimate".

Funny how various sites such as that iFixit Answer then take that and state it as a cold hard fact. That iFixit Answer even went on to say don't bother putting a 240GB HDD into an old 30GB Gen. 5 because you would only be able to utilize 120GB of it.

Completely inaccurate, and hopefully we can put it to bed now. But the problem is people will keep stumbling on that faulty information, and then ask the same question here over and over again.

Back when I first started encoding my CDs into MP3s, 128kbps was considered "CD quality". 
biggrin.gif
 I think I still have some of those around on a backup drive. 

Is there a list someplace of how many files a particular model of iPod can reasonably manage? I've got a couple of upgraded iPod Minis and have seen a unverified reports of a 10-12,000 file limit on that model.

I would guess that the Apple number was an statistical mean, partly chosen for marketing purposes, partly based on an "average" song encoded at 128kbps. Of more interest would be the Standard Deviation since the max is probably somewhere around two SDs from the mean.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4,297 of 10,664
The best way to determine if an iPod Video is a 5 or a 5.5 Gen is by the last three digits of the serial number. The most reliable source for the serial number is the Info screen, not the back (which may have been switched out). It is an "Enhanced" 5.5 version if the serial number ends in:

V9K, V9P, V9M, V9R, V9L, V9N, V9Q, V9S, WU9, WUA, WUB, WUC, or X3N

I believe the 30GB questions in the last couple of pages were about iPods with numbers that ended in V9K and V9M, which places them both on the Enhanced/5.5 side of the equation. Congratulations to both of you.

As previously noted, the 7500 song limit appears to be based upon Apple's estimates for HDD storage requirements, more than the buffer size (32MB vs. 64MB). However, it stands to reason that the doubled buffer size would allow more headroom when searching through directory lists, especially if they are cached in memory.

Also, I have not had any success in copying files by attaching the mSATA to the motherboard's SATA port. One of my iPod Videos is a 5th Gen 30GB and I have tried the same adapter that was recommended for that purpose (many, many pages back). I suspect that the version of Windows and the MB's chipset have much to say about whether or not that will work with your setup. So far, I have been unsuccessful on an XP machine with an Abit (I forget the number) motherboard; I haven't had the time to try it on one of my Windows 7 machines yet.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,298 of 10,664

The 120GB isn't that stupid since the 6th generations are limited to 128GB. I think the main problem is that people usually don't know what model they have and the numbers given to them aren't always that logic.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #4,299 of 10,664
The 120GB isn't that stupid since the 6th generations are limited to 128GB. I think the main problem is that people usually don't know what model they have and the numbers given to them aren't always that logic.

But it is stupid when the entire discussion they were having was centered on the Gen.5 and 5.5 models only, the 120GB limit simply does not apply there and the regurgitation of that false information on iFixit and various other web sites is totally incorrect and misleading.

Why iFixit would say that without having first tested it is beyond me.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #4,300 of 10,664

Why can you load a 60GB model through the motherboard? And I assume that by that you mean plug the mSATA in an adapter and then connecting it on a computer? 

If you have been following dr408517's posts, he found out with the Samsung 1TB you can actually take the drive out of ipod 5g and load it via motherboard (fast and guaranteed trouble-free file transfer). This ONLY works for the 5g not 5.5g. This is what I did for my Teradiymod, and loaded it thru the motherboard with 924GB. At this point, I believe this is the only way you can load this 1TB drive full. 

It's the same SATA adapter you would use for USB connection, except you need a different cable (for data and power) to connect the adapter to your SATA socket on your mother board. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4,301 of 10,664
From what I've seen of iFixit, they're great at getting tear-down instructions posted quickly. The problem I've seen is that those early instructions stand pat for many years, even after better methods have become widely known in  the product's geek community. I don't think I've ever seen iFixit go back and revise anything. Some of the PDF tear-downs I downloaded years ago are the same as what I have viewed in the last month or two through the web.

I've only been following this thread since last March. When I started following it I began by reading the first 20-30 pages and the last 20 pages. I check the thread every day or two and have read every post since March, but admittedly, I'd be lucky to recall 10% of what I've read. Yet, I do recall discussions on the differences between 5 and 5.5 and the firmware limitations on the 6, and those discussions pretty well nailed down both topics. Is the Search function here unreliable?

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4,302 of 10,664
  From what I've seen of iFixit, they're great at getting tear-down instructions posted quickly. The problem I've seen is that those early instructions stand pat for many years, even after better methods have become widely known in  the product's geek community. I don't think I've ever seen iFixit go back and revise anything. Some of the PDF tear-downs I downloaded years ago are the same as what I have viewed in the last month or two through the web.

I've only been following this thread since last March. When I started following it I began by reading the first 20-30 pages and the last 20 pages. I check the thread every day or two and have read every post since March, but admittedly, I'd be lucky to recall 10% of what I've read. Yet, I do recall discussions on the differences between 5 and 5.5 and the firmware limitations on the 6, and those discussions pretty well nailed down both topics. Is the Search function here unreliable?

I think it is very difficult to find valuable information in a topic that's almost 300 pages long, also the first post has been edited a few times and the first reactions to it don't make any sense anymore. I remember seeing somebody who tried to group all the information in a google doc. That's maybe a promising idea.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4,305 of 10,664
I just received my mSATA today and tried to install it in my iPod but which way should the adapter been faced (I have a generic one)? I saw a few pictures in this thread but if I connect it that way I can't seem to get it in DFU mode. If I connect it the other way round I can start it in DFU mode, put to .ubi file in the UMSBoot drive but I have the impression that it stays stuck on formatting. Any help would be welcome.

Edit: solved it in a dirty way: DFU mode with drive connected the wrong way => turning the drive the right way => Running the bootstrap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back