Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,911 of 10,664
  Breaking news!!

I should be getting one of the beta versions soon.

iFlash-Sata

Tarkan is making it happen.

This is exciting news. 

I have just acquired a 80GB 5.5g iPod for modding purposes.

Am I right in thinking that I can buy the Crucial mSata now to use with the cheap and nasty ebay adapter, and then swap it onto the Tarkan adapter when it's (hopefully) released?

May 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #2,912 of 10,664

Am I right in thinking that I can buy the Crucial mSata now to use with the cheap and nasty ebay adapter, and then swap it onto the Tarkan adapter when it's (hopefully) released?

That would be correct, right now I am listening to my capless iPod modded with the Crucial 256gb mSATA m4 card and a cheap adapter of Alibaba.

May 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,914 of 10,664
  Thanks to everyone contributing in this thread . My 240gb iPod video with rockbox is running great!

Pleased to hear it's all gone well for you.

My iVue case and battery should arrive in the next few days and then all I need to do is order the SSD.

I'll be doing the capless audio mod along with the iVue case and the 480GB rockboxed config. The price of the Crucial SSD has been falling ever so slightly over the past few days. A bigger drop would be nice however, knowing my luck, that will happen a couple of days after I've fitted it.

May 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,916 of 10,664
I have been using rockbox for a couple of weeks now with my newly modded 240GB iPod Video (thanks to everyone here) and I have been studying the great themes available for the iPod video/classic.  I wanted to give back something myself, so I am happy to announce my 1st theme has been released. Hope you guys like it, it is called "redux". 

You can pick it up here:
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2162&target=ipodvideo

If you want to leave feedback on the rockbox forums:
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,48266.0.html

May 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,917 of 10,664

I would like to test it with the bad boy mushkin.
wink_face.gif

This is especially great news for the classic 7g modded for a 1TB msata, if the battery can be decent.

On Tarkan's site it says:

"
Be warned the current crop of mSata drives are power hungary, so runtimes are not great compared to CF/SDXC – but still worth while if you must have a 1Tb iPod!"

So I guess that begs the question, which models aren't power hungry and which ones would you suggest? Don't really need 1TB but 500gb-750gb might be my ideal. Any suggestions?

Guyzie

May 11, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,919 of 10,664
  On Tarkan's site it says:

"
Be warned the current crop of mSata drives are power hungary, so runtimes are not great compared to CF/SDXC – but still worth while if you must have a 1Tb iPod!"

So I guess that begs the question, which models aren't power hungry and which ones would you suggest? Don't really need 1TB but 500gb-750gb might be my ideal. Any suggestions?

Guyzie

I only tried the 5g/5.5g with the Crucial 480GB mSATA. With a Miliamp 850 mAh battery, a 5g/5.5g modded with a Crucial 480GB mSATA works great including battery performance.

If you don't plan to use external amp, I would suggest you wait to see how the classic 7g performs with the new Tarkan adapter for mSATA. Personally I prefer stock 7g over the stock 5g/5.5g without using external amp. But I really enjoy the capless 5g/5.5g diymod with an external amp for my sound preference.

My ultimate choices ....
1. capless 5g/5.5g diymod + external amp (UHA-6S.MK2)
2. stock classic 7g modded with a 1TB mSATA

(1 for sound quality, 2 for portability)

Edit: I probably won't bother with the classic 7g for mSATA mod if Rockbox is not supported (most likely).

May 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #2,920 of 10,664

I only tried the 5g/5.5g with the Crucial 480GB mSATA. With a Miliamp 850 mAh battery, a 5g/5.5g modded with a Crucial 480GB mSATA works great including battery performance.

If you don't plan to use external amp, I would suggest you wait to see how the classic 7g performs with the new Tarkan adapter for mSATA. Personally I prefer stock 7g over the stock 5g/5.5g without using external amp. But I really enjoy the capless 5g/5.5g diymod with an external amp for my sound preference.

My ultimate choices ....
1. capless 5g/5.5g diymod + external amp (UHA-6S.MK2)
2. stock classic 7g modded with a 1TB mSATA

(1 for sound quality, 2 for portability)

Edit: I probably won't bother with the classic 7g for mSATA mod if Rockbox is not supported (most likely).

Ok very awesome!!!

I hope that it works well with the 7g iPod Classic, I'm just glad there's still support for these portable players! :) Thanks for the update!! :) 

May 11, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,921 of 10,664
  I have been using rockbox for a couple of weeks now with my newly modded 240GB iPod Video (thanks to everyone here) and I have been studying the great themes available for the iPod video/classic.  I wanted to give back something myself, so I am happy to announce my 1st theme has been released. Hope you guys like it, it is called "redux". 

You can pick it up here:
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2162&target=ipodvideo

If you want to leave feedback on the rockbox forums:
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,48266.0.html

jdotfite,

that is a greeat theme! what did you use to make it?

i made one from scratch using just notepad it has the volume showing from 0 to 100 in percent and not the confusing rockbox db.
and it also has a real eq dispaly they dont dance to the music but they show you exactly where all 10 bands of the eq are set.

if you want i can send it to you maybe you can use some of the code for your future wps's.

my theme is optimized for car use day and night.

May 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,922 of 10,664
  jdotfite,

that is a greeat theme! what did you use to make it?

i made one from scratch using just notepad it has the volume showing from 0 to 100 in percent and not the confusing rockbox db.
and it also has a real eq dispaly they dont dance to the music but they show you exactly where all 10 bands of the eq are set.

if you want i can send it to you maybe you can use some of the code for your future wps's.

my theme is optimized for car use day and night.

Thank you rbhawaii.  Layout was done in photoshop. I used the Rockbox theme editor which is nice, it gives you a visual view of your viewpoints.  I didn't know about the rockbox simulator, so I was unplugging/restarting/testing my theme over and over on my iPod at the beginning.  Once I learned of the simulator, i was able to test the theme right in windows.

I would love your code for the volume and equalizer.  I am not a fan of the -db thing anyways.  I am not very good with the conditional type programming stuff.  It took a bunch of playing around to figure out how things worked and the custom wps page on rockbox's website helped a lot too.  I am much better at just making things look pretty.

Nice, I just started my next themes and they will be car day and night themes as well!

May 12, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #2,923 of 10,664

Thank you rbhawaii.  Layout was done in photoshop. I used the Rockbox theme editor which is nice, it gives you a visual view of your viewpoints.  I didn't know about the rockbox simulator, so I was unplugging/restarting/testing my theme over and over on my iPod at the beginning.  Once I learned of the simulator, i was able to test the theme right in windows.

I would love your code for the volume and equalizer.  I am not a fan of the -db thing anyways.  I am not very good with the conditional type programming stuff.  It took a bunch of playing around to figure out how things worked and the custom wps page on rockbox's website helped a lot too.  I am much better at just making things look pretty.

Nice, I just started my next themes and they will be car day and night themes as well!

Very good info ! I have never used the rockbox theme editor will have to try it .
I had the same headache with unplugging and replugging ipod until I discovered the simulator lol

To start my theme you have to use rockbox 3.13 not the latest developer build nor the ssd build. just select day mode or night mode , you may have to clear the background manually in settings, I don’t remember – it has to be black. there are other configs ive included play with them if you like and to get everything back to normal just select day or night again. Hold down menu for bass and treble . when eq is on the screen shows slightly different info – this was done because rb stutters when eq is on same time as volume visualizers . the developers know about this and have no clue how to fix it.

The lower 20% of the volume also show the full scale of the line out volume. I came up with the headphone volume 100% scale using my ears so 25% 50% 75% 100% is actually what it “sounds” like and not what ipod decided is accurate.

When you take the headphone out or cut power it pauses automatically and tunrs off after 3 mins. Plug the headphones in or give it power again it resumes . power up , then it starts up on its own which is great for the car.

Some people say the wps is not pretty (that’s relative of course) but it is EXTREMELY functional and practical.

Let me know if any questions/comments.

You might want to Save your config settings before hitting day mode or night mode. enjoy!

(file removed PM me if you need it)

May 12, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,924 of 10,664
Just built my second TeraPod today. Loaded 1 album of music files, removed the chip from the ipod, connected the chip to my computer and loaded 600 gb of music. Removed the chip from the computer, put it back into the ipod, and loaded the Redux theme. TeraPodOne successfully traveled to Europe, with 9 hours of play before I shut it down. Using the Milliamp 850mah without any problems so far with daily use for the last two plus weeks.

TeraPodU2 uses a 650mah thin battery. We will see how this works out.

May 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2,925 of 10,664
Just built my second TeraPod today. Loaded 1 album of music files, removed the chip from the ipod, connected the chip to my computer and loaded 600 gb of music. Removed the chip from the computer, put it back into the ipod, and loaded the Redux theme. 
TeraPodU2 uses a 650mah thin battery. We will see how this works out.

I apologize for asking again but which is the mSATA adapter that you used to connect the mSATA card to the PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back