Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #2,270 of 10,664
I'm unclear what the limit issue is. The SuperTalent transfers the music fine until i hit something around 35k songs. I have had this issue once before with refurbished 5gen boards using 240gb Toshiba HDD, but never with 5.5 boards new from idemigods. I need to switch to another pod to see if i have the same board issue.

The SD issue acts like a hardware problem. Loading 1000 songs at a time takes forever.

I figured i should try to diagnose what the issue was before introducing another variable like RB or foobar. Today i transfered 57K songs to a 7gen+toshiba 240gb. No issues so far, but i haven't really stress tested it yet. ITunes doesn't appear to have a song limit so far.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2,271 of 10,664
Anyone tried this 256GB SSD ZIF drive? The price is good, if it works especially also with Rockbox.

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solid-state-disk/256gb-runcore-pro-iv-18inch-5mm-pata-zif-ssd.html

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2,274 of 10,664
been wondering if someone tested a non-crucial msata have experience heat/stability issues.....heard somewhere that those run hot in a pc application......still a pipe dream to have 1tb of goodness under a dual-platter classic 6g  ....those things use a bus that is related to the mmc/sdcard than the pata drives uses.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,277 of 10,664

The CE-ATA spec'd ipod is related to the mmc/sdcard spec rather than the ata spec that normal drives use.

Got you.

On a non related note I received last night another iPod mini, this one the 2nd generation and 6gb. Stock everything, I opened, replaced the 6gb micro drive with the Komputerbay 128gb CF card that I was using in my 1st gen mini and to my surprise the iPod behaves very weird, the click wheel is non responsive shows the the folder error screen and doesn't want to restore even after the card was removed and clean formatted to FAT32.

Weird thing is that is works with the 6gb micro drive and also works with the Tarkan SD to CF adapter.   I know that the latest generation iPod mini is supposed to be more power efficient, so this means that maybe there is voltage issues?

I am waiting for two more that should be delivered this week (along with the 256gb SD card) will try again on those boards.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,278 of 10,664
It seems the 5g's/5.5g's are the most versatile and reliable for these mods. One thing I like these 5g's/5.5g's is that once the cards are rockboxed, you can just switch around between them without the need for restore.

I still need to get a mini for the cap-free LO mod and compare that to the diymod video.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,279 of 10,664
  Got you.

On a non related note I received last night another iPod mini, this one the 2nd generation and 6gb. Stock everything, I opened, replaced the 6gb micro drive with the Komputerbay 128gb CF card that I was using in my 1st gen mini and to my surprise the iPod behaves very weird, the click wheel is non responsive shows the the folder error screen and doesn't want to restore even after the card was removed and clean formatted to FAT32.

Weird thing is that is works with the 6gb micro drive and also works with the Tarkan SD to CF adapter.   I know that the latest generation iPod mini is supposed to be more power efficient, so this means that maybe there is voltage issues?

I am waiting for two more that should be delivered this week (along with the 256gb SD card) will try again on those boards.  

When I tried the Komputerbay 128 cf in my mini it was very unstable.  Eventually managed to load rockbox on it but that didn't sort the stability issues.
  It seems the 5g's/5.5g's are the most versatile and reliable for these mods. One thing I like these 5g's/5.5g's is that once the cards are rockboxed, you can just switch around between them without the need for restore.

I still need to get a mini for the cap-free LO mod and compare that to the diymod video.

Hi Dminor, eventually got round to emailing wellcore yesterday.  Was just wondering what sort of response times I should be looking at for a reply?  Also when buying ipods is it better to pay a little more for one that works or take a chance on a cheaper faulty one?

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #2,280 of 10,664
  Hi Dminor, eventually got round to emailing wellcore yesterday.  Was just wondering what sort of response times I should be looking at for a reply?  Also when buying ipods is it better to pay a little more for one that works or take a chance on a cheaper faulty one?

You should receive her reply in the next day if not on the same day. I will remind her today of your email.

For the record, I am not affiliated in any way with Wellcore and I am simply willing to help my fellow head-fi'ers who are interested in getting this card. Based on my experience so far, the seller is reasonable and will take care of the customers should any issues arise with the cards.

As to your question on buying ipod, from my experience buying faulty ones with known issue (sad face) is reasonably safe, as long as you confirm with the seller that the ipod had sound before the sad face appeared. I bought a few off ebay with that same issue and all of them work with drive swap.  Most of my collection were bought in good conditions from my local Craiglist sellers. But these days the 5g's (5.5g's) become rarer and rarer showing at Craiglist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back