Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,236 of 10,664

How hard is it to do the mod? It's the 30G model. I saw some of you managed to do both the CF mod + audio upgrade w/o losing the stock backplate.

I notice that with the 5.5G I feel like I have to turn the volume up a little more to get acceptable midrange/bass (usually a bad sign, although in this case I'd say it's still listenable), but even then it's not exactly the same/as musical. It still feels like there's something subtle missing. The best way to describe it is that normally there's a sweet spot where you know it just sounds rich and musical, and it still sounds good, but it's a bit off and not quite there.

The mod is doable with some practice on a dead board or a practice board. The fat back plate will allow more internal space thus more options to try different caps. Without using any internal caps, a CF mod with a thin back plate is all you need.

Yes after I have been listening to my DMod's these days, I do feel the stock 5g's sound a little bit thin and lack of bass. The softness in the bass could be due to the bass roll off as often described by some head-fi'ers. Also, if you have not done so, you should rockbox the stock 5g and see if any improvements. I personally noticed improvements when I rockboxed my stock about 2 yrs ago for the first time. Also play 16bit/44kHz lossless if that's not what you are doing.

The stock classic 7g does have a more powerful amp than the stock 5g.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,237 of 10,664

The mod is doable with some practice on a dead board or a practice board. The fat back plate will allow more internal space thus more options to try different caps. Without using any internal caps, a CF mod with a thin back plate is all you need.

Yes after I have been listening to my DMod's these days, I do feel the stock 5g's sound a little bit thin and lack of bass. The softness in the bass could be due to the bass roll off as often described by some head-fi'ers. Also, if you have not done so, you should rockbox the stock 5g and see if any improvements. I personally noticed improvements when I rockboxed my stock about 2 yrs ago for the first time. Also play 16bit/44kHz lossless if that's not what you are doing.

The stock classic 7g does have a more powerful amp than the stock 5g.

I'll give that a try and report back if that helps. There's most definitely a drop in detail (and not just bass) from the Nano 6G to iPod 5.5 G stock (at least the specific one I'm using).

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,238 of 10,664
  I'll give that a try and report back if that helps. There's most definitely a drop in detail (and not just bass) from the Nano 6G to iPod 5.5 G stock (at least the specific one I'm using).

The wolfson dac of the 5.5g is no doubt one of the top sounding dac's. This is the reason why these 5.5g's (or 5g's) have been heavily pursued for imod's and diymod's. Not all mods are equal, and the ones lifting lod pins off board are no doubt providing the cleanest LO's.

No experience with Nano 6g so no comments on that one. But based on what you have described, I have a feeling you will like the classic 7g if you don't go the mod route on the 5.5g.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,239 of 10,664
I wonder if I just got a bit of a dud unit. Does anyone else with a stock 5.5 have mild line noise. I doubt getting a 7G will help much... people seem to say that the solid state ipods tend to be better than the classics in general (probably because they've continued development, whereas the 7g has been unchanged since 2007/2009), and that the 5/5.5 G are the best of the disk-based units.

The one I got was advertised as factory refurbished. I'm starting to wonder now if mine just sounds a little worse than it's supposed to and they decided it was still within spec. Perhaps I should return it and try for another 5.5G, but dunno. I suppose there's also the option of just going for a touch model or android with micro slot or relying on cloud storage more.

Or I suppose I can look into the upgrade mod. I did install rockbox. The equalizer maybe helps some, but doesn't totally fix it.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,245 of 10,664
I wonder if I just got a bit of a dud unit. Does anyone else with a stock 5.5 have mild line noise. I doubt getting a 7G will help much... people seem to say that the solid state ipods tend to be better than the classics in general (probably because they've continued development, whereas the 7g has been unchanged since 2007/2009), and that the 5/5.5 G are the best of the disk-based units.

The one I got was advertised as factory refurbished. I'm starting to wonder now if mine just sounds a little worse than it's supposed to and they decided it was still within spec. Perhaps I should return it and try for another 5.5G, but dunno. I suppose there's also the option of just going for a touch model or android with micro slot or relying on cloud storage more.

Or I suppose I can look into the upgrade mod. I did install rockbox. The equalizer maybe helps some, but doesn't totally fix it.

In my case (sensitive BA IEMs [Westone ES3Xs] from stock 5.5G's HO and quiet music), I did hear mild noise that is not in the music. Search Headi and you will see such noise is not uncommon with 5.5G. Changing to dynamic IEMs (VSonic GR07s) alone removed all the noise I had previously.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,246 of 10,664
In my case (sensitive BA IEMs [Westone ES3Xs] from stock 5.5G's HO and quiet music), I did hear mild noise that is not in the music. Search Headi and you will see such noise is not uncommon with 5.5G. Changing to dynamic IEMs (VSonic GR07s) alone removed all the noise I had previously.

To be curious, I am listening to a stock 5.5g using my Heir 4.Ai and I am unable to detect the noise. Not sure if this is due to my hearing or my iem's not sensitive enough. All I hear is a quite background when no music is presented. Not sure if that noise is due to HDD as mine has been converted to a SDXC card.

Other owners of the 5.5g (5.g) may chip in.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #2,247 of 10,664
i wonder if the classics provide enough power thru the 3.3v to be used with a msata ssd with a zif adapter

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/mSATA-SSD-to-40-Pin-ZIF-Adapter-Card-as-Toshiba-or-Hitachi-ZIF-HDD-/290933759001?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item43bd00dc19

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,248 of 10,664
Any idea when wellcore will be back from cny?

Also when looking at faulty ipods on ebay and the like what's to look for for use with the cf mod?  I've seen a couple with "won't go past the apple sad face" icon and wondered if that was ok for this sort of thing?  I've also seen one where it's just been the hard drive removed for some reason and wondered if that would be ok?

Failing that I may just rockbox my near mint 2nd gen mini that I picked up for for £20 or so and use that.  Though I won't get album art obviously.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #2,249 of 10,664
  Any idea when wellcore will be back from cny?

Also when looking at faulty ipods on ebay and the like what's to look for for use with the cf mod?  I've seen a couple with "won't go past the apple sad face" icon and wondered if that was ok for this sort of thing?  I've also seen one where it's just been the hard drive removed for some reason and wondered if that would be ok?

Failing that I may just rockbox my near mint 2nd gen mini that I picked up for for £20 or so and use that.  Though I won't get album art obviously.

Thanks

it would be fine if only the drive is removed/failed and works well with a working drive.......sad face icon can mean alot of things from dead drives to finicky logic boards

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #2,250 of 10,664
  i wonder if the classics provide enough power thru the 3.3v to be used with a msata ssd with a zif adapter

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/mSATA-SSD-to-40-Pin-ZIF-Adapter-Card-as-Toshiba-or-Hitachi-ZIF-HDD-/290933759001?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item43bd00dc19

I tried that adapter on the classic and sadly it didn't work, all you get is the red X when it boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back