Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,222 of 10,664
yeah the only other ones are quite old with bugs,

any idea what the bootstrap-ipodclassic.dfu is on the emcore releases? i vaguely remember it the first time rockboxed but that was ages ago it dosent seem to get a mention in the instructions any more.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,224 of 10,664
Not related to iPods but on the CF card reader topic...

I received the Sony Multi-Card Reader/Writer model MRW62E that i ordered from eBay and wanted to compare it to the Uniden 43-in-1 Card Reader that I got from BigLots for $7.

I ran h2testw on both reader with the SD to CF adapter from Tarkan and a Sandisk class 8 SD card

The Uniden is actually faster.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #2,226 of 10,664
  Seems like my 7th gen HDD died today... :frowning2:
Been trying to restore my iPod all morning with no success...
This poses the question...
Is the 7th gen Classic 160gb moddable to mSata SSD?

Cheers!

Most of the evidence in this thread suggests not.

In other news Itunes has pissed me off one too many times, so now I'm in the midst of converting my m4b audiobooks that I spent ages tagging into mp3 and then getting a)ipod video from either ebay or amazon, b)tarkans adaptor and c) either the sdxc card or cf card when wellcore are back from cny.  Tolerated Itunes long enough frankly. I now remember why I bought an iriver back in the day. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,228 of 10,664

Most of the evidence in this thread suggests not.

In other news Itunes has pissed me off one too many times, so now I'm in the midst of converting my m4b audiobooks that I spent ages tagging into mp3 and then getting a)ipod video from either ebay or amazon, b)tarkans adaptor and c) either the sdxc card or cf card when wellcore are back from cny.  Tolerated Itunes long enough frankly. I now remember why I bought an iriver back in the day. 

So, what is the best thing to do?
Get a CF adapter and run a 128gb CF card?
Get a replacement HDD?
Get an iPod touch with 64gb?

Cheers!

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2,230 of 10,664
  So, what is the best thing to do?
Get a CF adapter and run a 128gb CF card?

If you don't mind opening up the ipod and doing the diy yourself that's one option

Get a replacement HDD?

Like for like, so if you are happy with that then that's another.

Get an iPod touch with 64gb?

If you can cope with 64 gig (don't forget that 64 gig won't actually be 64 by the time you include os and so on).

Cheers!

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,231 of 10,664
I'm at a loss about what's supposed to be so good about the 5/5.5 G iPod quality. I have a 6th gen ipod Nano and it sounds significantly better. Richer, fuller sound (esp. in midrange and lower treble) and more definition (esp. on more subtle notes). The 5.5G that I got for this project seems to sound just weird in comparison. It has some bass, but it feels like nothing has the full body (either treble, mid, or bass) that I'm used to. I had a YP-P2 before the nano. Both are significantly better than this... I was hoping for higher capacity and the same audio quality. I considered the 7G as well, but people seem to say that's not as good as the 5G. Is this why everyone with 5G iPods feel like they need to upgrade the internals just to get a good sound out of them? Will rockboxing help, or is this something that needs the mod in order to get any improvement on the sound quality? I like to actually be able to hear string instruments resonate.

Earbuds are Turbine MD's, headphones AKG k240's, so I have some idea what these recordings are supposed to sound like from other sources.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,233 of 10,664
  I'm at a loss about what's supposed to be so good about the 5/5.5 G iPod quality. I have a 6th gen ipod Nano and it sounds significantly better. Richer, fuller sound (esp. in midrange and lower treble) and more definition (esp. on more subtle notes). The 5.5G that I got for this project seems to sound just weird in comparison. It has some bass, but it feels like nothing has the full body (either treble, mid, or bass) that I'm used to. I had a YP-P2 before the nano. Both are significantly better than this... I was hoping for higher capacity and the same audio quality. I considered the 7G as well, but people seem to say that's not as good as the 5G. Is this why everyone with 5G iPods feel like they need to upgrade the internals just to get a good sound out of them? Will rockboxing help, or is this something that needs the mod in order to get any improvement on the sound quality? I like to actually be able to hear string instruments resonate.

Earbuds are Turbine MD's, headphones AKG k240's, so I have some idea what these recordings are supposed to sound like from other sources.

I own the classic 7g's and plenty of 5g's/5.5g's. I wouldn't call which one is better as it comes down to personal preference. The 7g is neutral and clean, while the 5g is more musical on the slightly warm side.  But with a mod for clean LO, my 5g/5.5g based DMod (without or with my favorite caps) just blows both stock 7g and 5g out of water, and I really mean it.

One other benefit, which I can't live without these days, is the Rockbox. The 5g's/5.5g's were born for Rockbox, and honestly I would have never expected rockboxing my 256GB CF a duck soup.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,234 of 10,664

I use a line-out dock (LOD) to a separate amp always with my 5.5 G.  Amps used include FiiO E12 (both original and DIY) and E17.  I use an inexpensive LOD to connect the 5.5 G currently -- I think it is the L3, but the L9 and the L11 also work (the last uses the mini patch cable that comes with each FiiO amp).  

You will most likely have to avoid the headphone out to get the best sound out of the 5.5G.   There is a slight bass rolloff with the headphone out that is not there when you use an LOD. 

http://yuriv.home.gate.net/RMAATests/iPod%20vs%20dock.htm

Of course, the E12 has a bass rolloff too but the output impedance is much lower.   The output impedance of the 5.5G is around 5 ohms, which is a bit low for most IEMs. 

http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #2,235 of 10,664
  Do you run the AKG k240 out of your headphone jack?

Didn't bother. Full-size headphones + mp3 players usually ends in sadness. I normally run my headphones out of a stereo receiver, regardless of source. In terms of the earbruds, The Miles David Turbines are perhaps less forgiving than cheapo earbruds since the have higher clarity and range. The 5.5G sounds a little brighter than the Nano, but not because the Nano has worse treble. The 5.5G sounds less defined. The bass is a little less defined, like notes are getting crushed together a bit. The bass is there, but doesn't capture the same subtlety the nano does. This also goes for the midrange. It feels slightly less present than the Nano. I'll be clear here. It doesn't sound hideously awful, but scaled back... maybe like dropping from 320kbps to 192 or something like that and losing a bit of the lower registers. If my normal listening were not from the Nano+MD or pc + receiver/headphones I probably wouldn't notice. 

Also, I notice some white noise in the headphone out not present from other sources.

I own the classic 7g's and plenty of 5g's/5.5g's. I wouldn't call which one is better as it comes down to personal preference. The 7g is neutral and clean, while the 5g is more musical on the slightly warm side.  But with a mod for clean LO, my 5g/5.5g based DMod (without or with my favorite caps) just blows both stock 7g and 5g out of water, and I really mean it.

One other benefit, which I can't live without these days, is the Rockbox. The 5g's/5.5g's were born for Rockbox, and honestly I would have never expected rockboxing my 256GB CF a duck soup.

How hard is it to do the mod? It's the 30G model. I saw some of you managed to do both the CF mod + audio upgrade w/o losing the stock backplate.

I notice that with the 5.5G I feel like I have to turn the volume up a little more to get acceptable midrange/bass (usually a bad sign, although in this case I'd say it's still listenable), but even then it's not exactly the same/as musical. It still feels like there's something subtle missing. The best way to describe it is that normally there's a sweet spot where you know it just sounds rich and musical, and it still sounds good, but it's a bit off and not quite there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back