Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,206 of 10,664
  Love this thread!

I've got a couple of old iPods I'm thinking of upgrading, an iPod Mini 2G and an iPod Video 5.5G. I think I'm going to go with a straight CF card upgrade for the mini, but I'm not sure about the iPod Video. It's one of the thicker 80GB models. If I put an SSD ZIF drive or a CF card in there, could I replace the old 80GB back with a 30GB one to thin it down? Or even an 80G 6G back? From what I've read, the 5.5G and 6G have the same dimensions; I realize that doesn't mean they'd be compatible, but I don't have one to physically compare. I'm guessing maybe the ports between the thicker and thinner models don't match, but I can't seem to find that information anywhere. Has anyone replaced the back panel during an upgrade?

I have exactly these two iPods (well, the 30GB one instead of the 80GB) and have modded both to 128GB of storage.  The Mini takes a straight CF card, and I used the Tarkan board with a SD-to-CF adapter and a 128GB "full size" SD card.  I replaced the batteries on both and stuck to a 30GB compatible battery for the Video.  Playback time on both seems similar, but I have not done formal tests. 

I also amp mine with line-out docks (LODs) to portable amps.  You can see them in this picture linked below.  The Video is in a yellow-trimmed case and is connected to a FiiO E12, whereas the Mini is the silver model and is connected to a FiiO E17.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/39/392ce87c_IMG_4459.jpeg

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2,207 of 10,664
The rig at the moment in the office.

Sometimes I am wondering why I am wasting so much time hanging around at HF for what. I mean these DMod's have everything I need or have hoped for or even have exceeded my expectations. :)

Honestly I had never expected the in-ear music could sound this good. The only thing I wish to have now is a 512GB CF rockboxed DMod.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,210 of 10,664
Hi.

I'm really in need of some help. I've bought the 240gb MK2431GAH drive from rapidrepair and it didn't work with a 5.5gen 80gb ipod. Before that I bought the same one from two different amazon re-sellers and they didn't work either. They all got the ipod sad face. It has been such a hassle with the drives, buying and sending back and what not. 
The last driver has even been tested on a new 80gb and that didn't work either. 

Any ideas what might be wrong? I can't have bad luck with three different companies, and what I've read/heard about rapidrepair they should sell good functional drives.

Thanks

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,211 of 10,664
  Hi.

I'm really in need of some help. I've bought the 240gb MK2431GAH drive from rapidrepair and it didn't work with a 5.5gen 80gb ipod. Before that I bought the same one from two different amazon re-sellers and they didn't work either. They all got the ipod sad face. It has been such a hassle with the drives, buying and sending back and what not. 
The last driver has even been tested on a new 80gb and that didn't work either. 

Any ideas what might be wrong? I can't have bad luck with three different companies, and what I've read/heard about rapidrepair they should sell good functional drives.

Thanks

The problem is more likely (99% chance) with the ribbon cable not the HDD, based on my experience. That ribbon cable is very fussy.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,212 of 10,664
  Hey guys, I bought this card: 256GB SD Card SDXC Genuine US Seller trusting PayPal and their buyer protection system. 

Probably it's not another fake sold on eBay, if it's not then this seller would be a great resource for all of us.

Will keep you all posted.

I recall reading the other head-fi'er (caseyfriday) testing a cheap 256GB sdxc cards from China, and he had issue last time to complete restore on the mini. Not sure if he has that issue sorted out or tried on other ipod models.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,213 of 10,664

I recall reading the other head-fi'er (caseyfriday) testing a cheap 256GB sdxc cards from China, and he had issue last time to complete restore on the mini. Not sure if he has that issue sorted out or tried on other ipod models.

I am not going to even put it in any of the iPods until I test it first with h2testw... Same goes for the Wellcore when I get the replacement.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2,214 of 10,664
ive posted this in the rockbox section but i think this has to do with the Tarkan iflash and sdxc its 128gb class 10 kingston the install went fine and loading itunes worked fine as well

ive followed the instructions installed emcore then when it boots for the first time and i choose rockbox i get the 'ipod failed trying fall back image' i guess thats normall as rocbox isnt installed yet
but then i wait and get a white panic screen saying  ATA: error 80000000 while reading BBT (sector 0, co unit 1)

ive tried a couple of times but it still happens,

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,215 of 10,664
  ive posted this in the rockbox section but i think this has to do with the Tarkan iflash and sdxc its 128gb class 10 kingston the install went fine and loading itunes worked fine as well

ive followed the instructions installed emcore then when it boots for the first time and i choose rockbox i get the 'ipod failed trying fall back image' i guess thats normall as rocbox isnt installed yet
but then i wait and get a white panic screen saying  ATA: error 80000000 while reading BBT (sector 0, co unit 1)

ive tried a couple of times but it still happens,

That's because you are using either a 6th or 7th generation iPod.  

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2,217 of 10,664

yes mate 7th gen, have i done something wrong or it just wont work with 7th?

Nothing wrong but emcore is a pain, I installed it on my wife's iPod and it freezes all the time.  My suggestion would be to get a cheap 30gb iPod and use it for the project. Then you can have the real Rockbox installed in it.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,218 of 10,664
had a look on Tarkans site and dont see the problem really, the iflash mk2 works and compatible with 7th gen and the sdxc card is listed as compatible as well, should have known this wasnt going to go smoothly it never does

dont want to get another ipod and dont know what else to try now!

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2,219 of 10,664
  had a look on Tarkans site and dont see the problem really, the iflash mk2 works and compatible with 7th gen and the sdxc card is listed as compatible as well, should have known this wasnt going to go smoothly it never does

don't want to get another ipod and don't know what else to try now!

The adapter and the card are compatible, the issue is the loader of emcore. I am sure the official ipod software works great right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back