Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,176 of 10,664

Yeah that card reader was bought probably 5 yrs ago. Both that card reader and my office Dell studio xps' built-in card reader were able to detect and format the card.

I made the move and picked up one of these Sonys. I might as well get one that works with the Wellcore.

So. DMinor, I can stick a brand new CF card in the Sony, format it, and then stick it in the Tarkan to load-up songs?

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,177 of 10,664
  I made the move and picked up one of these Sonys. I might as well get one that works with the Wellcore.

So. DMinor, I can stick a brand new CF card in the Sony, format it, and then stick it in the Tarkan to load-up songs?

Yes. After the card is formatted with the card reader, put the card in Tarkan and then proceed to a fresh restore, which is no different from restoring any other types of cards or drives.

Once the restore is successful, you can load up songs using iTunes if you stick to Apple's original firmware . If you also want to load the Rockbox to it, then enable the disk mode from iTunes and install Rockbox from disk mode.

Mine went free of any hiccups during and after the restore. I was concerned Rockbox might not be compatible with the card but it turned out to be a non issue.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #2,178 of 10,664

Sir, that was a very smart move, how much you paid?   (How I didn't think of doing that?)

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,179 of 10,664
One more thing I want to mention is I used the CopyInOrder to batch copy files to the CF card in disk mode under Windows. I don't remember the max batch size but it could be around 40GB's.  I did notice the ipod got a little warm during the batch copy, so I would suggest to keep the batch copy size small and let the card cool down a little bit between batches. If there is a chance for the card to get corrupted, I would think the heat from constant copying BIG batches may be the cause.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #2,181 of 10,664
One more thing I want to mention is I used the CopyInOrder to batch copy files to the CF card in disk mode under Windows. ... I would think the heat from constant copying BIG batches may be the cause.

This is in line with what I asked a few pages ago:
If I have my audio on my computer in .wav file format, in compressed folders, can the iPod play those files? I mean, I want the iPod itself, to have compressed folders full of .wav files, like a PC/Mac desktop?

Compressing files will get more in a folder, but how will that affect the size of the transfer?

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #2,186 of 10,664
hi i wonder if someone can help me my ipod classic 160gb 7th gen i believe model MC293 hard disc is playing up i copy music to it and it dosent show up, itunes sometimes wont recognise it and at the moment when i connect it to my pc after about 3 seconds it disconnects its self,

so im looking at up grading to ssd 80 to a 160gb but im having trouble finding anything suitable can someone point me in the right direction please, im in the UK

thanks

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,187 of 10,664
  hi i wonder if someone can help me my ipod classic 160gb 7th gen i believe model MC293 hard disc is playing up i copy music to it and it dosent show up, itunes sometimes wont recognise it and at the moment when i connect it to my pc after about 3 seconds it disconnects its self,

so im looking at up grading to ssd 80 to a 160gb but im having trouble finding anything suitable can someone point me in the right direction please, im in the UK

thanks

Hi

Sadly it looks like the 7th gen doesn't really do ssd mods.  You can swop out the hard drive for a sd or compact flash mod but that's about it.  You should be able to swop out the hard drive for another.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,188 of 10,664
Hi

Sadly it looks like the 7th gen doesn't really do ssd mods.  You can swop out the hard drive for a sd or compact flash mod but that's about it.  You should be able to swop out the hard drive for another.

Thanks David, I think the compact flash cards are probably going to be too expensive do you know what type of sd cards they take and would that require an adaptor?

eta: why is it you believe the 7th gen dosent do the ssd mod? it seems from the op of this tread the ssd for 7th gen worked, i know the op is quite old now so has there been some change?
thanks

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2,189 of 10,664
  I may get a 2nd gen mini for some diymod fun, like this.

Edit: Well it didn't take too long to get a mini. Just grabbed one from eBay for 24 bucks.  Looks like new to me.

The seller decided to refund my money one week after I made the payment. It turned out he/she never shipped it. First time ebay experience like this since 2005.

So I am looking for a 2g mini again so I can do a clean line out mod.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,190 of 10,664
Sorry guys, don't know where else to ask this. 

Has anyone dealt with Tarkan recently? I've emailed him twice now within the last 3 weeks from his website's "Contact" form, and I haven't heard back from him.
Is he still actively selling his iFlash adapters?--I'd like to buy a couple from him 
smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back