Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,921 of 10,664
Hello everyone ! I have joined only for this topic. I am scouting it daily.
So here is my story.
I have a 80GB 5.5G iPod Video. Last summer I upgraded it's harddrive to the 240GB one, back then it cost me 90-100$ with shipping included. But unfortunately, it died on me after 3 months. So I would avoid going that path again. Besides, for some reason, the prices have doubled ever since.

I am looking for a 512 solution. BUT I am afraid of the software limitation of the iPod. I am curious of actually how many items it can actuallty read.
The newer iPod 7G Classic can read about 30 000 I think. I read on a macrumors thread.
Before my 240gb died, I managed to sync around 8100 items @ ~90GB.

So I am curious if the iPod Video can actually reaad around 30k files.
No rockbox needed btw.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #1,922 of 10,664
One simple final question - will a Kingspec 32GB SSD ZIF work in an iPod Classic 7th generation 160GB slim? I am asking this because it is cheaper to buy this SSD (47$ on eBay) than to buy a ZIF to CF adapter + CF card.

Thank you!

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,926 of 10,664
Where are you guys getting your cheap CF cards? I'm looking for a 64gb card, all I see are the Koputerbay CF (600x) UDMA 6 cards on Amazon selling for $60. But I've read on Tarkan's site that there are issues with the Koputerbay cards.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,927 of 10,664
It Will Work fine, I did that with my son's iPod Classic.

Great, thanks

Where are you guys getting your cheap CF cards? I'm looking for a 64gb card, all I see are the Koputerbay CF (600x) UDMA 6 cards on Amazon selling for $60. But I've read on Tarkan's site that there are issues with the Koputerbay cards.

Tarkan's site is not 100% accurate or up to date. I have the Dolgix Blaze6C 600x 128GB and Komputerbay Professional Extreme Speed UDMA6 (90Mb/s) 600x 128Gb both listed at Tarkan's site as either not working or possible issues with ipod 5g/5.5g, but both are working flawlessly on mine.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,928 of 10,664

They've only just been announced at CES, but are on amazon.jp though only placeholding atm.  I imagine the price will be mahoosive and not that far off what the one cf card would cost in all honesty.  Of course prices will fall but when is the question.

Then at this point that idea is only hypothetically ok, we need to wait, but guys, do you have any other idea to put 240gb in ipod classic 7th generation but THIN VERSION. Please HELP

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,929 of 10,664
  Fair enough - I'd love to hear how it worked. Nevertheless, another questions:

Is Tarkan's ZIF to CF adapter the only one that works in 7th gen 160GB iPod Classic? What about those cheap ones on ebay (I know that most of them are too fat for this particar iPod, but aren't there really any cheap slimer adapters?)

For instance this - http ://bit.ly/1d1RBTX

Thanks!

No idea, I guess there's only one way to find out!

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #1,930 of 10,664

Then at this point that idea is only hypothetically ok, we need to wait, but guys, do you have any other idea to put 240gb in ipod classic 7th generation but THIN VERSION. Please HELP

The 256 gig cf Dminor linked to with the tarkan mod should work I'd of thought?

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #1,932 of 10,664
Hey guys, so has anyone modded an ipod mini to solid state or SD/CF or swapped in a bigger HDD ? What is the best way to go about it in terms of parts ?

Also I Rockboxed my 7th gen classic, but am having trouble with themes
(I like some of the themes especially because of the font sizes as the default is not comfortable on a daily basis) Does anyone know how to do this manually ? It doesnt work with the installer as the 7th gen is not officially supported by rockbox and simply putting the cfg file into the themes or fonts either doesnt give you the entire theme/font or gets a little stuck. Any solutions/suggestions ?

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,933 of 10,664
  Hey guys, so has anyone modded an ipod mini to solid state or SD/CF or swapped in a bigger HDD ? What is the best way to go about it in terms of parts ?

I did the CF card swap on my iPod Mini, first I tried the SD to CF adapter and it worked fine but it didn't gave me enough battery life so I installed a 128gb CF card and everything is great now.  All you need to do is install the CF card then put the iPod on disk mode and connect it to iTunes; at that point iTunes will do the rest.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,934 of 10,664

I did the CF card swap on my iPod Mini, first I tried the SD to CF adapter and it worked fine but it didn't gave me enough battery life so I installed a 128gb CF card and everything is great now.  All you need to do is install the CF card then put the iPod on disk mode and connect it to iTunes; at that point iTunes will do the rest.

Can you please tell me what battery life do you get with the CF vs SD to CF adapter..I have the mini 2 gen and a sdxc class 10 and a SD to CF adaptor class 4 and a new battery 1500 mha and battery life is that long.
Please tell me how it works for you..Heard that CF sounds better then adaptors, true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back