Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 8, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,908 of 10,664
Hi!

I read through half of the thread but could not find an answer applicable to my case, thus here's my case and question.
I have an iPod Classic 160GB 7th generation (2009). Hard drive is dead after a fall and needs a replacement. The iPod is being used by my brother and he needs no more than 32GB of storage and max 256VBR lossy audio.

Because the iPod might fall again (he's a guy in extreme sports), I want to replace the dead HDD with an 32GB solid state storage.

The question is - which path to go:
A) ZIF to CF adapter + CF 32GB
B) ZIF to CF adapter + CF to SD adapter + SD 32GB
C) ZIF to SD adapter + SD 32GB (do these even exist/work with SD 32GB? I found one on ebay - can someone confirm this working? http://tinyurl.com/ziftosd)

What do you guys think - which is the best option in this case? I'm talking about spending as little money as possible.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,909 of 10,664
After opening a couple of ipod videos, some of the front panels are a bit loose meaning that parts of the ipod panels are a bit loose not flushed or fully clicked into the back panel. Also when ever I press on the front panel screen on top of the LCD screen, some black spots/distortion appear. I am wondering if there are any tips to have the front panel sit flush and avoid any pressure on the LCD screen?

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #1,910 of 10,664
Hey i need Your help i'm looking a hard drive 240gb For my iPod Classic 7th generation but thin version and ssd, somebody have an idea. Thanks

Go with option A) below with the CF size of your choice (max 256GB). The Tarkan CF adapter with the CF card will fit the thin version (ipod classic 7th gen).

Hi!

I read through half of the thread but could not find an answer applicable to my case, thus here's my case and question.
I have an iPod Classic 160GB 7th generation (2009). Hard drive is dead after a fall and needs a replacement. The iPod is being used by my brother and he needs no more than 32GB of storage and max 256VBR lossy audio.

Because the iPod might fall again (he's a guy in extreme sports), I want to replace the dead HDD with an 32GB solid state storage.

The question is - which path to go:
A) ZIF to CF adapter + CF 32GB
B) ZIF to CF adapter + CF to SD adapter + SD 32GB
C) ZIF to SD adapter + SD 32GB (do these even exist/work with SD 32GB? I found one on ebay - can someone confirm this working? http://tinyurl.com/ziftosd)

What do you guys think - which is the best option in this case? I'm talking about spending as little money as possible.

Thanks!

Go with less parts with proven record, i.e. A)

After opening a couple of ipod videos, some of the front panels are a bit loose meaning that parts of the ipod panels are a bit loose not flushed or fully clicked into the back panel. Also when ever I press on the front panel screen on top of the LCD screen, some black spots/distortion appear. I am wondering if there are any tips to have the front panel sit flush and avoid any pressure on the LCD screen?

If you are still using the HDD's, you may get rid of some or all of the stock rubber fillers along the edges of the HDD's. If you use the CF card to replace the HDD, then you shouldn't have the problem.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #1,912 of 10,664
Has it been tried to see if mini works with cf 256 GB?

My battery is 1500 mha and it takes very long time to charge with iPod charger. I use cf to sd and rockbox is that normal?

But battery life is 30 h when charged.

smily_headphones1.gif

On the Tarkan page 128 sdxc has been proven to work so I can't see why the 256 gig wouldn't. Are you charging via wall plug or pc/mac as that could make a difference.

After looking around at various options I can't belive that I am "this" close to ordering the cf card. If I do I'll try it in the mini first as that is a LOT easier to work with then the classic.

Thanks

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,914 of 10,664
Is Tarkan's ZIF to CF adapter the only one that works in 7th gen 160GB iPod Classic? What about those cheap ones on ebay (I know that most of them are too fat for this particar iPod, but aren't there really any cheap slimer adapters?)

For instance this - http://bit.ly/1d1RBTX

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,915 of 10,664
  Go with option A) below with the CF size of your choice (max 256GB). The Tarkan CF adapter with the CF card will fit the thin version (ipod classic 7th gen).

Go with less parts with proven record, i.e. A)

If you are still using the HDD's, you may get rid of some or all of the stock rubber fillers along the edges of the HDD's. If you use the CF card to replace the HDD, then you shouldn't have the problem.

Ok i found all this:

But i can't find  the micro sd 128gb (two=256gb) somebody found something. thanks

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,916 of 10,664

Thanks!

Interesting adapter, I personally never heard of anyone using this adapter but I would just order one for testing purposes.  (Saved it on my wish list)

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,918 of 10,664
  Interesting adapter, I personally never heard of anyone using this adapter but I would just order one for testing purposes.  (Saved it on my wish list)

Fair enough - I'd love to hear how it worked. Nevertheless, another questions:

Is Tarkan's ZIF to CF adapter the only one that works in 7th gen 160GB iPod Classic? What about those cheap ones on ebay (I know that most of them are too fat for this particar iPod, but aren't there really any cheap slimer adapters?)

For instance this - http ://bit.ly/1d1RBTX

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,919 of 10,664

Ok i found all this:

But i can't find  the micro sd 128gb (two=256gb) somebody found something. thanks

They've only just been announced at CES, but are on amazon.jp though only placeholding atm.  I imagine the price will be mahoosive and not that far off what the one cf card would cost in all honesty.  Of course prices will fall but when is the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back