Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #781 of 10,664
Quote:
Anybody know if this would work via the method described above by cmstastny?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micron-RealSSD-C400-1-8-512GB-SATA-6Gb-s-MTFDDAA512MAM-1K1-/251210460707?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item3a7d4f6e23

No. It's not a micro SATA, it's a SATA made by Micron Technology. There have different size.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #784 of 10,664
I have posted to the RB's support forum a link to cmstastny's post concerning the issues with RB. Hope someone from the RB developers can help to resolve the issues. From what I have read the online info available, the issue is with RB concerning the SSD.

Here is the link to the thread at the RB forum.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #785 of 10,664
Hi guys

This might not be the thread for such a question, but I'm gonna ask anyway, because it seems like some of you might be able to help me.

I bought an Ipod Video (80GB, 5.5g) from ebay, and it worked great. Only had like 50 hours of total play time.

Now comes the problem:

Since last friday, it seems like the Harddisk is randomly crashing. If I copy my library (something over 50GB of flac mainly) over, the Harddisk stops spinning and the Ipod isn't in my explorer anymore.

The file copying then "bugs" itself and if I just wait until its recognized again, some files tend to get corrupted and when I play them, The song just hangs like a CD with a big scratch (repeating the same second of a song again and again).

I did a Low Level Reformat, Put some Paper behind the harddisc, because it seemed kind of loose in the case...

Nothing really worked...

Do you think its a hardware problem? And which Adapter should I use to test the Harddrive by connecting it to the computer directly? Or would you recommand just buying a new Harddrive instead of trying to figure the problem out (because they are so cheap nowadays) or just go with an SSD? I droped the Ipod once, but that was like 3 weeks ago, and nothing happened between then and last friday...

Thanks in Advance

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #788 of 10,664
Sleinzel:

Sounds to me the problem is with the HDD.

PM me if you live in the US and are interested in a spare 30GB HDD for testing.

Ok... Unfortunatly I live in europe... I think I'll buy a 30Gb to test.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #790 of 10,664
Quote:

That doesn't sound too promising for my iPod. Guess I might have to get a new logic board too now.
frown.gif
 Thanks for your help though!

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #791 of 10,664
Sleinzel, you might want to think about getting a Tarkan adapter and switch over to a CF card. It's a cheap easy solution that will last a long time, give you greater battery life, and make your unit practically impervious to drops...etc. Lately I've been putting my spare CF Modded video through "drop tests" to see how high I can drop the sucker and still have music. So far I'm up to the top of an 8' ladder! The case came apart but it still booted and played music!

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #793 of 10,664
Quote:
Sleinzel, you might want to think about getting a Tarkan adapter and switch over to a CF card. It's a cheap easy solution that will last a long time, give you greater battery life, and make your unit practically impervious to drops...etc. Lately I've been putting my spare CF Modded video through "drop tests" to see how high I can drop the sucker and still have music. So far I'm up to the top of an 8' ladder! The case came apart but it still booted and played music!

Now that you mentioned, I wonder if anybody tried this one, if it's the biggest right now and if it works with rockbox.

http://www.photographybay.com/2012/01/08/lexar-introduces-256gb-cf-card-in-pro-line-refresh/

I know, I know too many questions. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #794 of 10,664
Quote:
Steve, where is the youtube video of the drop test?
wink_face.gif

Ha! I didn't think to doing that! I'll see tomorrow if I can while on the job!

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #795 of 10,664
Quote:
Now that you mentioned, I wonder if anybody tried this one, if it's the biggest right now and if it works with rockbox.

I know, I know too many questions. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back