Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,487 of 10,664
Hi I'm a 'newbie' .....just randomly came across your 18 month-old post.  I was thinking exactly the same thing.  I love the 5.5 80gb 'fatboy' (rockboxed, of course!)
To upgrade it with a 120gb SSD would seem, in theory, a marriage made in heaven.  So....18 months on how did your's work out ?

I can't speak for the party you are referring to but I did my SSD mod a while back and it was the most successful and easiest one I ever did. It was like switching the hard drive to another and then having iTunes automatically picking it up.

The SSD drive I used was a zif drive from Talent, at that time it was relatively affordable and was considered the most compatible of zif SSD type drives. I still have it and it's been so reliable, it will be with me for some time.

Are you planning to do the same or you want to go with the flash card route?

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,488 of 10,664
Quote:
I can't speak for the party you are referring to but I did my SSD mod a while back and it was the most successful and easiest one I ever did. It was like switching the hard drive to another and then having iTunes automatically picking it up.

The SSD drive I used was a zif drive from Talent, at that time it was relatively affordable and was considered the most compatible of zif SSD type drives. I still have it and it's been so reliable, it will be with me for some time.

Are you planning to do the same or you want to go with the flash card route?

Hey, thanks for replying so quickly.  Yeah..I'm still feeling my way around the forum - I should have quoted "Jason36" in my thread.

OK, first we ARE talking about the Ipod Video 5.5 80gb 'fat' version - right ?  My initial thought was the 'Mach Xtreme Nano Zif 120' no doubt influenced by the Youtube Tutorial I saw recently but if you swear by the Talent I could quite easily go with that one. My main goal is to avoid buying one that's NOT compatible.

I can pick up the Mach Xtreme for just under £150 - How much are the Talents going for these days ?

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,489 of 10,664
The above drive sounds good, the Talent can be purchased in the 200 to 250 $ US range on amazon.com. I have never heard of this specific brand but the Talent has been around for a little while. It's really up to you, I know for a fact the Talent drive will work. What I like about this kind of drive is minimal amount of components, just the drive instead of a cf adapter and a cf card, there's lot to be said about a simple solution.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,490 of 10,664
Aug 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,492 of 10,664
I had brief experience with a 256GB mSATA. Power consumption was a major concern to me, not mentioning the rockbox issue. After that try, I came to realize the CF's are perfect for me.  Now my fingers are itching on getting that 256GB CF.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,493 of 10,664
Didn't know mSATA drew that much power, haha.

I will likely go CF then, since the theoretical space cap on them is 128PB (1,000 terabytes), that would allow for expansion in the future.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,495 of 10,664
Didn't know mSATA drew that much power, haha.

I will likely go CF then, since the theoretical space cap on them is 128PB (1,000 terabytes), that would allow for expansion in the future.

You can also go zif SSD, they cap at 256gb (expensive though) but are less energy demanding. I did one once with 128 gb and it works great, no power issues. I did not try RockBox on it but I would not be surprised it'd work.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,496 of 10,664
Quote:
The above drive sounds good, the Talent can be purchased in the 200 to 250 $ US range on amazon.com. I have never heard of this specific brand but the Talent has been around for a little while. It's really up to you, I know for a fact the Talent drive will work. What I like about this kind of drive is minimal amount of components, just the drive instead of a cf adapter and a cf card, there's lot to be said about a simple solution.

Well I'm gonna go with the Talent - I think I've seen one on Amazon-UK for £155 ($175)...sorry to be a pain but can you quote me the exact SSD from Talent (size, series, Part Number etc.) that you used in your 5.5.  I'm just not that experienced in modifying stuff (yet!) & would hate to spend that kind of cash on the wrong drive.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,497 of 10,664
Well I'm gonna go with the Talent - I think I've seen one on Amazon-UK for £155 ($175)...sorry to be a pain but can you quote me the exact SSD from Talent (size, series, Part Number etc.) that you used in your 5.5.  I'm just not that experienced in modifying stuff (yet!) & would hate to spend that kind of cash on the wrong drive.

No problem when I get home tonight I'll lift the model number and send it to you.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,498 of 10,664
Quote:

Or, you can click on "Search This Thread" underneath the thread title and use key words "super talent". You will see 81 posts that mentioned "super talent". 

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,499 of 10,664
 Or, you can click on "Search This Thread" underneath the thread title and use key words "super talent". You will see 81 posts that mentioned "super talent". 

I don't think he has an issue with searching, Talent has 2 SSD drive types and someone mentioned they had issues with one of them so he wants to make sure he'll buy the correct one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back