Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #3,256 of 3,817
I have never have such problem with my HEK V1 or V2.
However, I think it is very unlikely for 2 set of HP have same connector problem.

For what it worth, I had similar issue with other headphone before, and I suspected it was the cable
and ruined the cable when I tried to figure out.
It ended up an issue with my DAC which intermittently lost signal on left side because of battery is
about to die.

Good luck for you to figure it out.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3,257 of 3,817
I'm curious if anyone else has had problems with cable plugs on the HEKv2. With the stock cable sound in my right ear will drop periodically. A small adjustment typically solves the problem. I ordered a Lavricable which is a beautiful sounding cable but the connection was even more problematic. I sent it back to Lavricables and they sent me a new one with different connectors but the problem persisted. My dealer was kind enough to swap my HEKv2's for a new set but I'm still having the same problem. I'd like to try a cable from a different manufacturing but am hesitant to spend just to end with the same results. With the stock cable it was pretty black or white. I either had a connection or I didn't. With the Lavricable I think the connection is just barely made and strong bass can often break the connection which leads to what sounds like distortion.

This is not intended to be negative feedback for Lavricables. They have been great to work with and I've used their cables for other purposes with great results. I think the issue is with the HP socket.

I had problems with two pairs of HEKv1 from Adorama. Among other build quality issues, both pairs had issues with keeping the 2.5mm ends of the headphone cable plugged into the HEK. With a heavier cable like the Moon Audio Black Dragon V2, the problem was more persistent. I'm not sure if this is the same issue that you are describing, but if you are able to unplug the end that goes into the the HEK or cause audio distortion simply by shaking your head while wearing the headphones, I'd consider this an unacceptable issue. Eventually I purchased a demo pair from RazorDog Audio and Brian helped to inspect the HEK for the issues I had with my previous pairs from Adorama before shipping them off to me.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #3,258 of 3,817
Never had any problem with myHEK. Cables are never unplugged,( Except swapping cables) IMG_2113.JPG and together with spare cables, are kept in a case.Oddball maybe?.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3,259 of 3,817
I had problems with two pairs of HEKv1 from Adorama. Among other build quality issues, both pairs had issues with keeping the 2.5mm ends of the headphone cable plugged into the HEK. With a heavier cable like the Moon Audio Black Dragon V2, the problem was more persistent. I'm not sure if this is the same issue that you are describing, but if you are able to unplug the end that goes into the the HEK or cause audio distortion simply by shaking your head while wearing the headphones, I'd consider this an unacceptable issue. Eventually I purchased a demo pair from RazorDog Audio and Brian helped to inspect the HEK for the issues I had with my previous pairs from Adorama before shipping them off to me.
Never had any problem with myHEK. Cables are never unplugged,( Except swapping cables) and together with spare cables, are kept in a case.Oddball maybe?.
I rarely unplug them and leave them hanging on my HP stand. It's good to know this is not a widely known or experienced issue. I think the female plug on the right ear piece is just miss aligned which causes a poor connection. The fact that I've experienced this with two different units now has me scratching my head but stranger things have happened. I've only had these a few months and will reach out to support. They're such incredible HP's I just hate having to part with them during the return process. Oh well.

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #3,260 of 3,817
I rarely unplug them and leave them hanging on my HP stand. It's good to know this is not a widely known or experienced issue. I think the female plug on the right ear piece is just miss aligned which causes a poor connection. The fact that I've experienced this with two different units now has me scratching my head but stranger things have happened. I've only had these a few months and will reach out to support. They're such incredible HP's I just hate having to part with them during the return process. Oh well.
Has anyone heard the new HEKse and compared it to the HEKV2 yet?? To sell and upgrade or not, that is the question.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #3,261 of 3,817
Has anyone heard the new HEKse and compared it to the HEKV2 yet?? To sell and upgrade or not, that is the question.

I' wondering now the same thing. Should I get rid of HE-1000V2 and go after HEKse or change the camp completely with Final D8000. Argh.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #3,262 of 3,817
I' wondering now the same thing. Should I get rid of HE-1000V2 and go after HEKse or change the camp completely with Final D8000. Argh.
Are there any reviews yet comparing the Focal Utopia, HEKV2, HEKse and Final D8000? The only other consideration would be the STAX SR-009 but not sure I want to introduce a tube amp into the chain when using my CHORD DAVE. M-scaler with DAVE could be a game changer regarding these comparisons though!

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #3,263 of 3,817
i have an offer to trade 3 headphones for a new hifiman he1000 v2, those 3 are lcd2c , hifiman he xv2 and zmf atticus

would anyone go for such a trade offer if you were in my position

i love my hifiman he xv2 but how much better is hifiman he1000 v2 to give up all these headphones for one headphone

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,264 of 3,817
i have an offer to trade 3 headphones for a new hifiman he1000 v2, those 3 are lcd2c , hifiman he xv2 and zmf atticus

i love my hifiman he xv2 but how much better is hifiman he1000 v2 to give up all these headphones for one headphone
I would try to hold on to the ZMF Atticus if you could. It's would be a good complementary headphone to the sound signature of the HEK V2's.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,265 of 3,817

3 to 1 is not a worthy trade IMO, especially those 3 headphones are all good, and with them, you can taste different characters.
my 2cents.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #3,266 of 3,817
Are there any reviews yet comparing the Focal Utopia, HEKV2, HEKse and Final D8000? The only other consideration would be the STAX SR-009 but not sure I want to introduce a tube amp into the chain when using my CHORD DAVE. M-scaler with DAVE could be a game changer regarding these comparisons though!

Chord's M-scaler could be a game changer indeed. But this item aside, of all headphones you listed I'd not only go for Final D8000 but I actually intend to so very soon. Had a blast with these in 2017 here in PL and now am willing to do a leap of faith on those because of that experience. I should still have HEKv2 then to compare and if this will happen I'll write several words or at least I'll try to.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Sep 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,267 of 3,817
As you know, the HEK &HEKV2 driver membrane have only single sided magnets and using driver tensioning for control,
(instead of dual sided magnets for control).
Nonsense! There are magnet bars on both sides, although the inner ones are thinner (asymmetric design). Moreover, magnets don't «control» membrane movement, they just make for the driving force in cooperation with the dynamic magnet field from the currents within the conductors on the membrane. Note: There's no sort of «control» involved with planar magnetic and electrostatic headphones. The only thing that stops membrane movement is the air – plus the friction within the membrane.

My comment to the «Felian mod»: I tried to reproduce it by gently lifting the earpads to different degrees. With the result of a slight bass reduction – nothing that I couldn't reproduce with equalizing, which I effectively do by default. Unlike the Felian mod it reduces membrane excursion, thus makes for lower harmonic distortion. And like what's been pretended for the Felian mod it tightens the bass, as if there was better membrane control...

BTW, the blurry pictures above are a huge waste of space. Couldn't you make them smaller, please!? I'm aware that it's all copied from the «other forum», but still.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #3,268 of 3,817
I'm about to acquire a HEK v1 in a few days. Is there a larger difference between v1 and v2 in the tuning besides the larger case and different pads? I would assume that once my pads are sufficiently worn down, I'd have to use UltraPads from the V2 anyway, so how would this impact the sound?

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #3,269 of 3,817
I'm about to acquire a HEK v1 in a few days. Is there a larger difference between v1 and v2 in the tuning besides the larger case and different pads? I would assume that once my pads are sufficiently worn down, I'd have to use UltraPads from the V2 anyway, so how would this impact the sound?

In addition to being thicker, Hifiman says the "material has been changed from Velour to Polyester to increase sound transparency." So, possibly more transparency?

http://www.hifiman.com/images/goods/HE1000EN-new.jpg

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #3,270 of 3,817
In addition to being thicker, Hifiman says the "material has been changed from Velour to Polyester to increase sound transparency." So, possibly more transparency?

http://www.hifiman.com/images/goods/HE1000EN-new.jpg
Yes, I replaced my original v1 pads with the v2 pads, and I think I am familiar with what they're calling more transparency of the v2 pads. There is a noticeable change in the sound when you do the replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back