Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #3,272 of 3,807
I am a V1 owner with V2 pads. Wouldn't ever go back to the V1 pads if I had a choice. Better overall clarity and reduces the 'softness' that is often attributed to the HEK V1 as a negative thing. The V2 pads also fit my head better because they are thicker, thus creating more clamping pressure, which I found somewhat lacking with the V1 pads. I can now move my head while wearing the headphones and feel that they are secure and will not fall off.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #3,273 of 3,807
A positive change? Could you go into more detail if you can?

I think the V2 pads increase the overall liveliness or vividness of the V1, also the sense of intimacy of the music by bringing the mids/upper mids a bit more forward, but at the expense of some soundstage width. There's a sense of distancing from the instruments with the V1 pads (perhaps what @vc1187 is calling "softness") that is significantly reduced by the V2 pads (hence the feeling of more intimacy, and closeness, which I suspect some translate as "transparency"). Some also say that this sense of immediacy makes imaging much better on the V2 pads, but I have not personally noticed that... I have to confess, my remarks are not the result of some careful and painstaking head to head comparison of the two pads... I am just noting the differences of sonic impact of the v2 pads as I experienced and remember them the first time I did the swap.

Also, while I do realize and respect why some people may prefer the new changes, I personally saw the increased liveliness, forwardness, or "transparency" of the V2 pads, mostly as differences rather than as "improvements." I upgraded to the new pads out of curiosity, in order to find out what the new hype about the V2 and its pads were all about, but not because I particularly disliked the old pads and their sound signature... (It was more like responding to the peer-pressure generated by the hype of the V2, rather being driven to those pads because of something I personally disliked about the V1 pads)...

I am normally too lazy to make a habit of swapping pads back and forth... If that were not the case, I could easily imagine preferring and using V1 pads for some particular songs and the V2 pads for others. This does not mean that I necessarily hate the V2 pads... I simply consider them as offering a flavor and sound signature that are different from those of the V1 pads, but not necessarily always "better" (for all musical content)

I also think in considering what is taken to be the flaws or the weaknesses of the V1, one always has to take the stock cable into account (as one has to for the stock cables of the V2.) I replaced the V1 stock cable with a Norne Audio silvergarde S cable, long before getting the V2 pads, and the differences were so significant that I have never gone back to using the stock cables since then., I have also tried a Norne Audio Draug v3, and Zoetic cables on it: They all do a great job bringing enhancements to the table that are lacking in the stock. Incidentally I have come to consider Hifiman stock cables suspect as a result.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #3,274 of 3,807
I' wondering now the same thing. Should I get rid of HE-1000V2 and go after HEKse or change the camp completely with Final D8000. Argh.
I own the HEK v1. Personally I like it better then the v2 but I have not had the opportunity to listen to the se yet (I will at RMAF this weekend) but I received the D8000 last week and it has become my favorite planar. With good solid state power (MHA100, Milo and Enigma) these really sing. The level of detail, layering in the soundstage and sweetness of midrange makes them really special.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #3,275 of 3,807
I'm concerned to read from fakespot.com that the Hifiman HE1000 reviews on Amazon rate an 'F' --as bad as it gets on fakespot's scale-- implying that something is awfully wrong with the authenticity of whoever is reviewing these headphones or what is motivating them to provide Amazon their reviews. I had considered the HE1000 for purchase for my ifi Audio pro units, the Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN, currently playing through my Denon AH-D7200 headphones. I was even considering the Susvara's, but now I have significant doubts. In my experience, I've never seen fakespot rate any product reviews so poorly for high end audio gear, especially for products I've considered for purchase. I was thinking Hifiman would make an awesome addition to my rig. But fake ads posted as reviews are a big concern. Views?
Scalding F Hifiman.png

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #3,276 of 3,807
Why would you care about Amazon reviews?

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #3,277 of 3,807
I'm concerned to read from fakespot.com that the Hifiman HE1000 reviews on Amazon rate an 'F' --as bad as it gets on fakespot's scale-- implying that something is awfully wrong with the authenticity of whoever is reviewing these headphones or what is motivating them to provide Amazon their reviews. I had considered the HE1000 for purchase for my ifi Audio pro units, the Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN, currently playing through my Denon AH-D7200 headphones. I was even considering the Susvara's, but now I have significant doubts. In my experience, I've never seen fakespot rate any product reviews so poorly for high end audio gear, especially for products I've considered for purchase. I was thinking Hifiman would make an awesome addition to my rig. But fake ads posted as reviews are a big concern. Views?

Fakespot is all about analytics and can be useful for new and unknown brands.There's a lot of sellers that will put up fake reviews to either bump up visibility of their products or just get positive reviews in general. Hifiman, while probably not a household name, is certainly not an unknown brand in the high end headphone market. Also, Amazon alters and removes reviews for a variety of reasons, including linking to external sites.As always, take all reviews from any source with a grain of salt. And the best review is with your own ears.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3,278 of 3,807
I don't see anything to worry about with hifiman, if you like the headphones.
They always had good customer service IMO.

The real issue is knowing which headphone you want.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,279 of 3,807
Why would you care about Amazon reviews?

Good question, Maxx. It's because I imagine it's symbolic of the greater universe of Hifiman reviews and I haven't seen it in other products (yet).

[EDIT: fun fact, Amazon is responsible in 2018 (2017) for about 49.1% (44%) of all U.S. e-commerce sales last year, or about 5% (4%) of US total retail sales, with headphones sales a strong contributor to its growth].

For a comparison, take this fakespot assessment of the Audeze LCD-2 reviews on Amazon. It's fakespot review of the reviews is a 'A'.
fakespot audeze.png

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,280 of 3,807
The real issue is knowing which headphone you want.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was wanting a quality set of planar magnetic headphones, with a wider sound stage than my Denon AH-D7200, without losing too much of its ample base.

I might add, my ifi Pro iCAN delivers base to even the Sennheiser HD800S headphones, which on a variety of amps owned by a friend of mine is otherwise entirely absent (but is probably still not enough for my liking).

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #3,281 of 3,807
I recently got a hold of the HE1000 V1s and noticed the bass is more pronounced on the right driver than the left. I tested this by using a generic bass test on the left and right channels and felt the outside of the driver for each and noticed the vibrations were felt more on the right. Should I open a warranty claim?

EDIT: It was the Violectric HPA V200 amp; listening out of the RME ADI-2 DAC, the imbalance is gone.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #3,282 of 3,807
I recently got a hold of the HE1000 V1s and noticed the bass is more pronounced on the right driver than the left. I tested this by using a generic bass test on the left and right channels and felt the outside of the driver for each and noticed the vibrations were felt more on the right. Should I open a warranty claim?

That certainly doesn't sound right... You should definitely call up Hifiman and discuss remedies. I'm not sure whether the best solution is a warranty claim, or some form of RMA service repairs, but that is something that definitely deserves be sorted out with Hifiman Tech service or Customer support.

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #3,284 of 3,807
What's your favorite HE-1000?

I can't say, because I have only heard and own only one of them. I know you have declared the He-1000se as your favorite, be can you explain why?

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #3,285 of 3,807
I got my hifiman he1000 v2, and i love it.

I used the stock balanced cable with it to my chord qutest and ifi pro ican amp

Can I ask, do you think the stock cable is good enough or is there another cable you would recommend to use with it that is gonna make a noticeable difference

best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back