Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3,241 of 3,817
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 20, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #3,242 of 3,817
May 20, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #3,243 of 3,817
,,,. Possibly if I hadn't spent time A/Bing recordings with these headphones my conclusion would have been "Utopia, clear winner or classical", which I don't think is true, at least not all the time.

agree, I have the same experience.
Utopia can do many things at best (and I personally include in this category also transparency, which I intend as lack of distorsion) but there are a couple of things in which Utopia is only "sufficient" IMHO, i.e. bass extension and soundstage. this means that Utopia is best in many types of music, jazz, rock, etc.. but with symphonic music, like Mahler 8th for ex., is only "sufficient" simply because this music absolutely needs a large soundstage, with lot of air, width and depth. so with this music, HEK is simply much better, even if it is (slightly) inferior in any other parameter to Utopia.
I tipically use Utopia for small acoustic ensambles, being jazz, rock or clasical, and HEK for large ensambles and/or electronic music.

May 20, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,244 of 3,817
The Utopia and HEKv2 are my two main headphones, so your comparison is interesting to me, and I agree with your characterizations. I've had the HEKv2 for a month now, but a natural division of labor based on musical genre has yet to present itself. I'm still switching back and forth between the two a lot!

May 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,245 of 3,817
yeah, me too change a lot between the two, and also between the other cans I have.
mine was just a rough attemp to a generalization, and there are many exceptions to the rule.
simply put, I listen to the can I like most in that moment and for that music :smile_phones::smile_phones:

May 21, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #3,246 of 3,817
What amplifier is that? It looks beautiful!!

Talk about resurrecting a post from the dead, LOL. I haven't even been on Head-Fi in months. Regardless, it's a Little Dot MK VI+, the darling of my budget experience. If you rolled the tubes right, it was a ridiculously good amp for the price.

Kojaku

May 24, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #3,248 of 3,817
I've had the Grand 20 Core Silver with the HEKv2 for a couple months now, and the difference in presentation from the stock cable is noticeable and notable. I hear more definition and greater separation, especially in the treble, a feeling of greater transient speed, and a more forward sound.

So it makes the HEKv2 a shade less laid back, which I think it kind of needs, so it's a welcome improvement IMO.

And of course -- to speak objectively, now -- it's less ugly than the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #3,252 of 3,817
My HE1000 (v2 pads) sounds phenomenal driven by a Hugo₂ – which delivers just a bit more than 700 mW at 34Ω –, with a lot of loudness reserves left. So power will rarely be a problem in the context of the HE1000, but rather sound quality and tonal synergy of/with the source/amp.

And note that the more pleasing sounding amp is not necessarily the technically better one, it may just offer the more euphonic coloration. Or – as mentioned – the better tonal synergy.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #3,254 of 3,817
I've had the Grand 20 Core Silver with the HEKv2 for a couple months now, and the difference in presentation from the stock cable is noticeable and notable. I hear more definition and greater separation, especially in the treble, a feeling of greater transient speed, and a more forward sound.

So it makes the HEKv2 a shade less laid back, which I think it kind of needs, so it's a welcome improvement IMO.

And of course -- to speak objectively, now -- it's less ugly than the stock cable.

I have both the HEKv2 and a modified Sennheiser HD800S. I've gone through several different cables with the HEKv2, but have not tried the Lavricables. I am presently using the Double Helix SE22 OCC Copper Litz - dramatically superior in resolution, clarity and transparency to the stock cable, which is quite smeared and congested in comparison. Similar to your description of the Lavricables, the Double Helix seems also to have greater extension in the treble and increased transient speed. I also tried Cardas Clear, which also was better than the stock cable but by a smaller margin. A Zynsonix hybrid copper and silver Litz cable was only marginally better than the stock cable.

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3,255 of 3,817
I have both the HEKv2 and a modified Sennheiser HD800S. I've gone through several different cables with the HEKv2, but have not tried the Lavricables. I am presently using the Double Helix SE22 OCC Copper Litz - dramatically superior in resolution, clarity and transparency to the stock cable, which is quite smeared and congested in comparison. Similar to your description of the Lavricables, the Double Helix seems also to have greater extension in the treble and increased transient speed. I also tried Cardas Clear, which also was better than the stock cable but by a smaller margin. A Zynsonix hybrid copper and silver Litz cable was only marginally better than the stock cable.
I'm curious if anyone else has had problems with cable plugs on the HEKv2. With the stock cable sound in my right ear will drop periodically. A small adjustment typically solves the problem. I ordered a Lavricable which is a beautiful sounding cable but the connection was even more problematic. I sent it back to Lavricables and they sent me a new one with different connectors but the problem persisted. My dealer was kind enough to swap my HEKv2's for a new set but I'm still having the same problem. I'd like to try a cable from a different manufacturing but am hesitant to spend just to end with the same results. With the stock cable it was pretty black or white. I either had a connection or I didn't. With the Lavricable I think the connection is just barely made and strong bass can often break the connection which leads to what sounds like distortion.

This is not intended to be negative feedback for Lavricables. They have been great to work with and I've used their cables for other purposes with great results. I think the issue is with the HP socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back