Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #3,196 of 3,817
j
Hey, I have the HiFiM8. Do you use the balanced or single ended output?

The balanced end. I haven't tried it until last night. I was like no way can the M8 sound better than the WA8. It was clearly better. Like 9/10 non headfiers could hear the difference. I'm going to test the SE tonight.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,197 of 3,817
I just realized V2 is pretty hard to drive. Woo wa8 sounded thin and fragile with the V2. The only other amp I have now is Centrance M8. Surprisingly, the M8 actually brings out what the HeK should sound like. It was very good. This speaks for how good a little dac/amp the M8 is even though it’s so old. Anyways, I need to get a real amp.

To my ears, the V2 is easier to drive than the V1. The V2 has slightly stronger dynamics and sounds more immediate than the V1. So I usually listen with the volume a notch or two lower than the V1.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #3,198 of 3,817
I have the M8 as well, just used it as a DAC line out to my MicroZOTL2 (modded by Mojo Audio) at a meet (Philly area) to drive the HEK v2. Got a nice sound that way, haven't actually tried the M8 alone with the HEK. If I remember correctly, though, the balanced is actually not really internally balanced, it is just there for convenience for folks that have balanced connectors on their headphones...or am I remembering wrong?

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #3,199 of 3,817
I have the M8 as well, just used it as a DAC line out to my MicroZOTL2 (modded by Mojo Audio) at a meet (Philly area) to drive the HEK v2. Got a nice sound that way, haven't actually tried the M8 alone with the HEK. If I remember correctly, though, the balanced is actually not really internally balanced, it is just there for convenience for folks that have balanced connectors on their headphones...or am I remembering wrong?
Agreed...my experiments when reviewing the HE1000 showed that the HiFiM8 XLR connection was no different, in volume or in tone, from the single ended outputs. I concluded after a correspondence with CEntrance that it was not truly balanced, just an adapter of a single ended path to an XLR balanced connector.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #3,200 of 3,817
(I was actually a bit ticked off about that, wasn't clear to me when I bought it, but I did buy it on impulse when it was on Massdrop...)

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #3,201 of 3,817
Me too... makes me wonder whether the variable output impedance switch (1, 2, or 10 ohms) is just another placebo feature with no effect!

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #3,202 of 3,817
I'm trying it through XLR and 6.25 with XLR adapter. Sounds exactly the same. I knew that the XLR is not a real balanced out, but I wasn't sure if it's gets more power than the SE. It sounds exactly the same to my ears. Anyways going to Best Buy to try Mcintosh MHA150 tomorrow. My search for endgame rig continues. Too be honest M8 actually is quite good considering how small light and powerful it is. I'm certainly not in a rush. I'm enjoy the HeK v2 thoroughly.

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #3,203 of 3,817
The McIntosh is a really nice sounding piece. I heard it in a shop with v1, and at the meet this weekend with v2. Enjoy!

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #3,204 of 3,817
Would the Nordost Blue Heaven be a good match for the HEK V2? What other upgrade cables would you recommend? Thanks.

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #3,205 of 3,817
Lavricables Master Silver – lightweight and robust. I'm very happy with it, the sound is extremely clear and smooth.

Lavricables Master Silver.JPG

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #3,207 of 3,817
Heimdall2 is much better, as are Toxic Cables SW22 and most silver cables.

Does the Heimdall2 use silver? I had always assumed its copper too.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #3,208 of 3,817
Any comparison on the Toxic cables vs the Labvricables available? I personally owned one Labvricable for my IEMs. They sounded excellent but unfortunately they broke pretty quickly because they were not that flexible. Probably not such a big problem for headphones though.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,209 of 3,817
I have a 10ft Silver Dragon V3 that I had when I owned HeX. I actually prefer the copper sound with HeK V2. That is with Centrance M8 and Wa8. I finally got the Mcintosh MHA100 after demoing the MHA150 at my local Best Buy. Perhaps that may change.

What is everyone using for headphone stand? My current stands are too narrow or too short for the HeK.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,210 of 3,817
Lavricables Master Silver – lightweight and robust. I'm very happy with it, the sound is extremely clear and smooth.

Looks gorgeous. I bought Lavricable once for my IEMs. I remember the silver cable was very stiff for IEM purposes. Is that still the case? I think for full size can it may work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back