Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,166 of 3,817
Happy New year, everyone!

Just wanted to ask if anybody knows how I can upgrade to a v2? My original HEK’s right cable connection had loosened, no amount of wiggling the connector could bring the sound back. If I push it down the cable connector the sound would come back but as soon as I let it go the sound goes off again. So instead of sending it for repair I thought I'd just cough up the necessary $650 for the upgrade. It's quite depressing to me as I've just ordered a top of the line silver cable from Norne Audio. Knowing that it's on its way and then this happened to my HEK had somewhat dampened my holiday spirit.

I sure hope somebody could help me out.

Cheers, everyone.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,167 of 3,817
I can understand your point of view. I really never EQ'd my headphones before recently. This was not really because I didn't believe in it, but rather because I didn't know how to do it effectively.

I believe EQ is used during mastering, and I believe most professional systems are EQ'd, be it movie theater or live concert. As much as designers strive to create the perfect sound from speakers or headphones, I think none of them are able to fully realize their ideal sound. Speakers have a little more that they can do with crossovers and such, but still they can't control the room the speakers go into
Happy New year, everyone!

Just wanted to ask if anybody knows how I can upgrade to a v2? My original HEK’s right cable connection had loosened, no amount of wiggling the connector could bring the sound back. If I push it down the cable connector the sound would come back but as soon as I let it go the sound goes off again. So instead of sending it for repair I thought I'd just cough up the necessary $650 for the upgrade. It's quite depressing to me as I've just ordered a top of the line silver cable from Norne Audio. Knowing that it's on its way and then this happened to my HEK had somewhat dampened my holiday spirit.

I sure hope somebody could help me out.

Cheers, everyone.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/exclusive-offer-for-loyal-he1000-v1-owners.html

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #3,171 of 3,817
I did contact them about this, clsmooth391. They were very accomodating. I told them that it was only a loose connection, that instead of repairs I'd go for the upgrade. I think that because it was such a minor problem - a dab of solder, perhaps - they've agreed to accept it at its present state.

I have placed my order and got my RA# (Return Authorization?). I will then ship them my original HEK very soon. Super excited because my flagship silver cables are on the way. Been living without music for two weeks now, but the anticipation of listening to the V2 and the silver cable is keeping me cool and sane, so to speak. So,,, not a gloomy start of the year, as I've recently posted.

Thanks for the replies.

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,172 of 3,817
Guys,

My HE1000 v2 is coming in Saturday. Gave Utopia a shot just didn’t like the signature and fit even though I fully appreciated all it’s technical achievements. So far I have been using more transportable setups for DAC/Amp. Centrance M8 and Woo WA8. Thinking about finally settle down with a desktop DAC/AMP. Any recommendations for a good combo for the HEK. I’m ok with a separate DAC and AMP setup or all-in-one solution. The ones I hear a lot in this forum is the MicroZOTL and ALO Studio Six for amp. I’m thinking about spending $2k-$3. Probably getting them from classifieds.

Thanks.

Sean

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,175 of 3,817
New owner of the V2. Anyone feels HeK benefits from burn in? My experience with planars is they don't really require burnin.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,176 of 3,817
New owner of the V2. Anyone feels HeK benefits from burn in? My experience with planars is they don't really require burnin.

Cant say i heard any difference after 200 hours

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #3,177 of 3,817
Mine sounded great, straight out of the box. Few days later, sounded dreadful. Kept using them and after about a week, they sounded great again and have improved over the last six months. Clearer sound, no smearing, wider soundstage, space between instruments especially on live tracks, female vocals intoxicating!

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,178 of 3,817
Anyone feels like HeK is like Utopia but with significantly expanded soundstage so things don't so congested. It may be just slightly behind in dynamics, but for my ears it holds similar amount of clarity. My assessment may be limited by gear since my best source/amp is the Woo WA8.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #3,179 of 3,817
My assessment may be limited by gear since my best source/amp is the Woo WA8.

Why would your gear limit your assessment? The WA8 is the best headphone amp I've auditioned under $50,000. Trust your ears. I give the Utopia a very narrow edge in overall sound, but I'm not giving up my HE1000 V2. It comes down to preference at that price point. Nothing wrong with either headphone.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #3,180 of 3,817
Anyone feels like HeK is like Utopia but with significantly expanded soundstage so things don't so congested. It may be just slightly behind in dynamics, but for my ears it holds similar amount of clarity. My assessment may be limited by gear since my best source/amp is the Woo WA8.

I don’t think you’re wrong. I like the HEK more than the Utopia in every area from sound —> comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back