Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :)
May 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #31 of 100
Quote:
Considering selling my modded SR-60's and Sextetts for a pair of DT880/600's, figuring I can always pick up a new cheap grado later, and the Beyer's should be more comfortable than both combined, but I am still quite unsure on the topic. Will I be seeing an improvement? I'm most afraid of losing the lush mids of the grado and sextett

Just make sure you have an amp that is up to the task of driving the 600ohm versions - DT880-600ohm is
 still an absolute bargain, mids are still very present but not quite as forward - however you will pick up some micro detail
 for sure - sound stage sizing will remain about the same, the DT880 is no spacious sounding unit in that sense,.

May 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #32 of 100
Quote:

Just make sure you have an amp that is up to the task of driving the 600ohm versions - DT880-600ohm is
 still an absolute bargain, mids are still very present but not quite as forward - however you will pick up some micro detail
 for sure - sound stage sizing will remain about the same, the DT880 is no spacious sounding unit in that sense,.

How's a 45wpc Marantz (or 45wpc Pioneer) work
wink_face.gif

Thanks though, that may push me over the edge into doing it. I'm just afraid of them being "boring" to the sound of a distorted guitar and vocals

May 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #33 of 100
Quote:
Considering selling my modded SR-60's and Sextetts for a pair of DT880/600's, figuring I can always pick up a new cheap grado later, and the Beyer's should be more comfortable than both combined, but I am still quite unsure on the topic. Will I be seeing an improvement? I'm most afraid of losing the lush mids of the grado and sextett

I've never taken issue with Grado comfort, but I admit that I'm addicted to how comfortable the Beyers are. 

May 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #34 of 100
Quote:

How's a 45wpc Marantz (or 45wpc Pioneer) work
wink_face.gif

Thanks though, that may push me over the edge into doing it. I'm just afraid of them being "boring" to the sound of a distorted guitar and vocals

They're quite analytical and flat - hence why you see them end up as an audio monitor every now and then - not sure
 how you'll fair with so-so recorded rock with the DT880-600ohm - receivers are a difficult thing to assess, most of the
 modern units I've tangled with have pretty horrid headphone outs - it seems to be the last concern for manufacturers
 but this was regarding Onkyo and Yamaha sub $2000 units - you never know your luck with Marantz.

May 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #35 of 100
Quote:
Well I do own both the T1 and SR-80i, and I do love them both.

Saw your amp stack in the pic thread...very nice! 

May 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #36 of 100
Quote:

The DT1350's are an excellent closed on-ear - very much the analytical signature for me, however you simply cannot expect such a small closed cup headphone to
 compete with the open air goodness of the RS1i - T5p for me is a closer match-up - then again without going back to price taggery - the DT1350 is $399 and Grado
 want another $300 plus they sport the advantage of being open air.

I don't want to compare them, I just want to hear the RS1 again so I know if I want to BUY them :)

I've fallen pretty much in love with the PS500s, but still want to give the RS1s a more thorough audition. 

May 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #37 of 100
Quote:

They're quite analytical and flat - hence why you see them end up as an audio monitor every now and then - not sure
 how you'll fair with so-so recorded rock with the DT880-600ohm - receivers are a difficult thing to assess, most of the
 modern units I've tangled with have pretty horrid headphone outs - it seems to be the last concern for manufacturers
 but this was regarding Onkyo and Yamaha sub $2000 units - you never know your luck with Marantz.

The flatness is what I'm worried about, Sparkle is something I like in my sound, but "cold" is not...although I could always apply EQ, or switch to tubes.

As for the receivers: they're vintage 70's era: the headphone out is just the speaker output dropped down via a resistor. I never make it past 10 o clock with my 600 ohm (and terribly inefficient) sextetts even, and they supposedly drive the HE-6 just fine as well, so I'm not worried about power, to say the least

May 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #38 of 100
May 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #39 of 100
Quote:
The flatness is what I'm worried about, Sparkle is something I like in my sound, but "cold" is not...although I could always apply EQ, or switch to tubes.

As for the receivers: they're vintage 70's era: the headphone out is just the speaker output dropped down via a resistor. I never make it past 10 o clock with my 600 ohm (and terribly inefficient) sextetts even, and they supposedly drive the HE-6 just fine as well, so I'm not worried about power, to say the least

Nice! I know what you mean, I've got a vintage 1976 Tensai RCR-343 Radio Cassette unit that drives any of my headphones 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #40 of 100
Having listened to my just-arrived T5p this afternoon at lunch I can definitely say I am a Beyer-Grado fan.

They make a very nice closed circumaural can for my portable use to compliment my GS1000i at home :)

Now I am just still pondering over whether to get the RS1i too, for more that classic Grado sound, which I also love...

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #42 of 100
Well I guest I'm back to the Grado/Beerdynamic Club :D. I recently restore an old SR325 all black Grado and fall in love again. It's complementing my T1 at home and DT1350 very nicely. One thing I notice right away with these Grado is the presentation has a good stage.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #43 of 100
Count me in as well!  My first major purchase was a pair of PS-1000's along with a Beyer A1 amp. Recently I purchased a pair of Beyer dt990's. I love both pairs of cans and I am very happy with the A-1. These headphones are so totally different in tone and soundstage but I enjoy listening to both. My next major purchase (after recovering from another major can purchase recently) will be the T1. They'll be a perfect fit to the A1.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #45 of 100
Excellent!!! Welcome everyone!! So nice to see this thread getting some attention :)

And theeyealtering, you'll fit right in here...I've said it many times on here recently, that the best advice I received once starting down the path of headphones was to settle on a nice grouping of phones, and not to stress out about just buying ONE. Not to say there is anything wrong with just having one pair of course, it's just that spreading the love among a few different headphones has taken my enjoyment of this hobby off the map. My collection of Beyers and Grados are my favorites, but I am all about listening to different cans and enjoying discovering what's out there. 

Nice to see you picked up some 325s, Twinster!! 

NZTech, congrats on the T5p! 

Zein...love that avatar!!! lmao

Parula, definitely chime in with some thoughts on the A1 and T1 pairing once you get it in-house....I really wasn't sure if I wanted to go tubes or SS for my T1s...so I bought a Meier SS amp and also the Grant Fidelity tube buffer...I use the T1s with and without the buffer in play and it's great having both options. 

I don't know if any of you guys saw my post in the T1 thread about my puppy eating one side of my T1 cable, but I'll just throw out more kudos to Beyerdynamic for being willing to cover this as a warranty repair...they didn't have to do that at all, but seeing as how I haven't owned them for very long (and maybe they're just dog lovers like myself!), I guess they felt bad for me lol...excellent customer service on their part! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back