Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :)
May 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 100
I guest I qualify has a Grado-Beyer fan 
biggrin.gif
. I currently own the T1 & DT1350 on the Beyer side and have a SR-225 modded with wood sleeve on the Grado side. In the pass I owned the DT880-990/600 ohm flavor and SR60i, SR225i, SR325, MS2i, MS-Pro (miss them a lot) & Custom Magnum.

I would not consider the Grado and Beyer to be complementary but I would say that both have clarity and detail with a great bass control in their signature. Three qualities that I appreciate.

Cheers!

May 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 100
I know this is a general appreciation thread, however I have a concern that I recently came across. I have a pair of Beyer DT 770 Pro's, and I just noticed that the cord is starting to come out. What in the world should I do in this situation? I really don't want to have to replace them, as they were pretty expensive to me, and I don't have any other quality headphones to use should the cord actually fall completely out. Has anyone had this problem? Would this be something that I could have covered by a warranty?

May 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #19 of 100
Kinda funny that someone mentions Fostex towards the beginning of this thread... I was all about my SR225i and DT990, but since I've purchased and modded my T50RP, well... let me just say that I don't ever reach for the two aforementioned cans anymore :xf_eek: Oddly enough, they seem to be flatter and more detailed than either the Beyer or the Grado... of course, I modded them specifically for better treble and transient response than your typical Thunderpants, too.

I may jump on the T90 though, those things look damn sexy :xf_eek:

May 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #20 of 100
Quote:
That's cool you're such a huge Grado guy...I was reading through your profile and checking out your pics...good stuff! 

I was already loving the 80s and 325s, but the more time I spent with the 500s the more they became the perfect headphone for me. I honestly can't imagine what the PS1000s could do that would make me love the Grado sound even more, but I want to audition them for sure. 

PS. Drew at Moon Audio is a good dude. He hooked me up with a T1 extension cable. 

Yep =), the PS500 measures incredibly well. This one and the PS1000 are also the only other Grado's I have yet to own / hear / play with. I kept the best for the end, the dessert for after the main meal. Actually I hurried myself getting their older cans which are still going up in value/price, but now I'm back to looking at Grado like everyone else, for their present time offerings.

Yep it's the second Grado I ask him to reterminate, he definitely does a fine and clean soldering job, and durable. I think he has a lot of experience in the field :p.

Balanced four pins, with the matching Black Dragon adapter.

Quote:
Kinda funny that someone mentions Fostex towards the beginning of this thread... I was all about my SR225i and DT990, but since I've purchased and modded my T50RP, well... let me just say that I don't ever reach for the two aforementioned cans anymore :xf_eek: Oddly enough, they seem to be flatter and more detailed than either the Beyer or the Grado... of course, I modded them specifically for better treble and transient response than your typical Thunderpants, too.

I may jump on the T90 though, those things look damn sexy :xf_eek:

You think you, bestened? the Thunderpants? and pushed the envelop further? Recently I've been caught by a desire for the Thunderpants, thinking they were the absolute best T50RP headphones, and that no other mods could come close to it. I would like something better than my mod, which in itself sounds, just okay.

May 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #21 of 100
I recall hearing the "Plasticpants" (Essentially Thunderpants with thick PVC cups and Beyer gel pads, credit goes to "funch") at our last meet here in AZ, and I felt like something was lacking. After preforming the mods I did (you can see my post here for a rundown of the most significant differences from the norm), I felt the exceeded what I had heard previously. Took a few experiments, but I got it. Only thing they lack is a wide soundstage, but it was to be expected.

I will admit, I've never heard Smeggy Thunderpants (with wood cups and O2 pads), so take what I say with a grain of salt. From measurements I've seen though, they have a slightly flabby transient response.

Quote:

You think you, bestened? the Thunderpants? and pushed the envelop further? Recently I've been caught by a desire for the Thunderpants, thinking they were the absolute best T50RP headphones, and that no other mods could come close to it. I would like something better than my mod, which in itself sounds, just okay.

May 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 100
 Here's one for you guys - the ultimate portable face-off - Grado RS1i versus Beyerdynamic T5p

I managed to 'weekend trade' my RS1i for a T5p - both being assessed purely on a first generation iShuffle.

General impressions? The T5p takes out the 'fully featured' test - sure it costs $350AUD more than the
 RS1i but it comes in a nice metallic case, embroided carry pouch, the build quality all round reeks of something
 that will stand the test of being put through countless international flights. In terms of overall signature, the
 T5p places you back a few rows, detail also just trumps the RS1i - however, it is less lively than the
 Grado - certain tracks that sizzle and pop with the RS1i are presented in a calmer manner
 on the T5p - one surprise was that back when I originally tested the T5p, this time around I was reminded
 that it is not as bright up top as the RS1i.

For me the split comes down to instrument tonality - piano on the T5p comes off as a little strange, there
 is no bite to each key, same can be said for guitar - the crunch of each guitar cord is a little off. Criticisms 
 aside this can deserves a mention for anyone looking to buy the very best portable full sized headphone
 out there - to be considered alongside the Signature Pro and Edition 8.

May 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 100
Quote:
 Here's one for you guys - the ultimate portable face-off - Grado RS1i versus Beyerdynamic T5p

I managed to 'weekend trade' my RS1i for a T5p - both being assessed purely on a first generation iShuffle.

General impressions? The T5p takes out the 'fully featured' test - sure it costs $350AUD more than the
 RS1i but it comes in a nice metallic case, embroided carry pouch, the build quality all round reeks of something
 that will stand the test of being put through countless international flights. In terms of overall signature, the
 T5p places you back a few rows, detail also just trumps the RS1i - however, it is less lively than the
 Grado - certain tracks that sizzle and pop with the RS1i are presented in a calmer manner
 on the T5p - one surprise was that back when I originally tested the T5p, this time around I was reminded
 that it is not as bright up top as the RS1i.

For me the split comes down to instrument tonality - piano on the T5p comes off as a little strange, there
 is no bite to each key, same can be said for guitar - the crunch of each guitar cord is a little off. Criticisms 
 aside this can deserves a mention for anyone looking to buy the very best portable full sized headphone
 out there - to be considered alongside the Signature Pro and Edition 8.

The only thing that put me off getting the t5p was the lack of bass, but still a nice choice for a colorfly pocket or something!

May 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 100
Interesting read, thanks Gwarmi! 

I used to put Grado a notch above BeyerD in terms of how I ranked my own cans, but with the DT1350 portables in-house I can now say it's a dead heat for me. 

I can't wait to give the RS1s another listen....

May 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 100
Guess you could define me as a grado-beyer fan but I never really bought anything over $100 yet. I started with the Grado SR60i's that I modded, served me well for a little while till they started to fall apart at the gimbals. Decided to go with a new pair of headphones till I can get the 60's fixed since they're very much out of warranty after what I did to them, ended up with the Beyer DT-235's since my budget was that low and I wanted to give closed cans a try for once for school. All I gotta say is...whoa. Call me budget biased but I certainly wasn't expecting cans to sound this good for $50.

Kinda surprised there's not that many reviews for the 235, I'd probably do one once I get some more listening time with them. Don't really have anything else to compare them to besides the grados, my koss KSC75's and my recently shattered Shure SR215's (ran over by a car). 

May 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #26 of 100
Quote:
Interesting read, thanks Gwarmi! 

I used to put Grado a notch above BeyerD in terms of how I ranked my own cans, but with the DT1350 portables in-house I can now say it's a dead heat for me. 

I can't wait to give the RS1s another listen....

The DT1350's are an excellent closed on-ear - very much the analytical signature for me, however you simply cannot expect such a small closed cup headphone to
 compete with the open air goodness of the RS1i - T5p for me is a closer match-up - then again without going back to price taggery - the DT1350 is $399 and Grado
 want another $300 plus they sport the advantage of being open air.

May 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 100
Quote:
Guess you could define me as a grado-beyer fan but I never really bought anything over $100 yet. I started with the Grado SR60i's that I modded, served me well for a little while till they started to fall apart at the gimbals. Decided to go with a new pair of headphones till I can get the 60's fixed since they're very much out of warranty after what I did to them, ended up with the Beyer DT-235's since my budget was that low and I wanted to give closed cans a try for once for school. All I gotta say is...whoa. Call me budget biased but I certainly wasn't expecting cans to sound this good for $50.

Kinda surprised there's not that many reviews for the 235, I'd probably do one once I get some more listening time with them. Don't really have anything else to compare them to besides the grados, my koss KSC75's and my recently shattered Shure SR215's (ran over by a car). 

Definitely agree - the DT235 alongside the Koss KSC75's are winners - the DT235 having the edge because it makes do with a closed cup 

May 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 100
Yeah seriously. I do use my KSC75's frequently because they fit better for working out but for the most part I like the sound signature of the beyers a little better because of their deeper bass slam and control of sibilance while being closed. I used to get told all the time that my music was too loud with the koss and grados because of their open nature, don't really get that anymore with the DT235's which is just awesome at class. 

May 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #29 of 100
Well I do own both the T1 and SR-80i, and I do love them both.

May 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #30 of 100
Considering selling my modded SR-60's and Sextetts for a pair of DT880/600's, figuring I can always pick up a new cheap grado later, and the Beyer's should be more comfortable than both combined, but I am still quite unsure on the topic. Will I be seeing an improvement? I'm most afraid of losing the lush mids of the grado and sextett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back