Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :)
May 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
I have come across so many people who, like myself, own and love headphones from both of these excellent companies - Grado Labs and Beyerdynamic - so I figured it was time that we have our own thread. Of course, now that I say that there probably won't be anyone who posts here, but I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE, PEOPLE!! :)

I come from a background of relatively high end home audio, but didn't delve into headphones  until last October. I signed up here on head-fi in November and have been completely addicted ever since. I started off with the plan to pick up several of the lower end offerings from many of the top companies I was most interested in - AKG, Ultrasone, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, and a few others. I ended up falling in love with Grado and Beyerdynamic, and my collection has grown to a total of six purchases from these two brands combined. For Grado, I have the SR80is, the SR325is, and the PS500s. For Beyer I had the DT880/600s until I upgraded to the T1s, and I recently picked up a pair of DT1350s, which are phenomenal. 

So let's get this thread going!! You know who you are...if you are a fan of both brands, even if you enjoy other cans as well, chime in and say hello! 

May 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 100
Wow... that's it I'm on my way to make an "Official Grado-Fostex Fan Club". Joking :wink: :p

*I just found a thread serving a similar purpose: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574959/a-grado-head-with-a-fostex-fetish

What makes your two companies' headphones complementary?

I would have taken advantage in buying a closed headphone from Beyerdynamic (which Grado will probably never make) like the T5p, if I would have been you at the time of upgrading your Beyerdynamic.

I also like Beyerdynamic, more than Sennheiser and Ultrasone, as far as German headphone companies go. :wink:

May 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 100
Quote:
Wow... that's it I'm on my way to make an "Official Grado-Fostex Fan Club". Joking :wink: :p

What makes the two companies' headphones complementary?

I would have taken advantage in buying a closed headphone from Beyerdynamic (which Grado will probably never make) like the T5p, if I would have been you at the time of upgrading your Beyerdynamic.

No....just go by some T1s so you can stay HERE! :)

And I don't know that they're necessarily complementary in the strictest sense of the term, I just know I have come across quite a few people on here who consider both brands to be their favorite headphones and own offerings from both, as well. I think they are great "alternatives" to each other, cause the sound signature is different enough and it keeps the rotation fresh. I don't really find that I'm wanting for much of anything in terms of sonics that I can't get from these brands. 

May 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 100
The Beyer dynamic DT880(600Ohm), DT990(250Ohm), Grado PS1000, GS1000, RS1i are great sounding cans, the DT880 are detailed with extended highs and 990 are same but with little more bass punch and i liked them both. Grado PS1000 are amazing(instruments sound so good and vocals are superb on these), GS1000 has little more bass, RS1i are also great cans( i liked the both brand and there sound signature).

May 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 100
Quote:
The Beyer dynamic DT880(600Ohm), DT990(250Ohm), Grado PS1000, GS1000, RS1i are great sounding cans, the DT880 are detailed with extended highs and 990 are same but with little more bass punch and i liked them both. Grado PS1000 are amazing(instruments sound so good and vocals are superb on these), GS1000 has little more bass, RS1i are also great cans( i liked the both brand and there sound signature).

I'd love to hear more about the PS1000s if you feel like elaborating a bit :)  I have the 500s and love them...won't have the opportunity to hear the PS1000s for a while yet, so in the meantime trying to get as much feedback as possible for those familar with them. I have a solid understanding of the law of diminishing returns, so I'm not under the illusion that they'll be 3x as good as the 500s, but for that money I would expect the ULTIMATE Grado...I love how they look and would love to give Larry at Headphile another excuse to make me a custom stand for them. 

May 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 100
The PS1000 has everything what music feels life like instruments sound so real, big and rich with amazing vocal quality(like HD) and imaging, instruments separation is superb on these headphones.

May 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 100
Quote:
No....just go by some T1s so you can stay HERE! :)

ALRIGHT, see you, Here, next time!

lol maybe maybe

I understand that Beyerdynamic has advantages in their sound, where Grado might have lacking (Beyers must be more analytical, and Grado more musical?), and vice-versa, because you get your daily dose of headphones by rotating those two, complementarily so.

May 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 100
Quote:
The PS1000 has everything what music feels life like instruments sound so real, big and rich with amazing vocal quality(like HD) and imaging, instruments separation is superb on these headphones.

Sold :)

May 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 100
Quote:

ALRIGHT, see you, Here, next time!

lol maybe maybe

I understand that Beyerdynamic has advantages in their sound, where Grado might have lacking (Beyers must be more analytical, and Grado more musical?), and vice-versa, because you get your daily dose of headphones by rotating those two, complementarily so.

I probably have a lot more overlap than most do...I like how both brands do with MOST types of music, although I give the Grados the nod with classic rock and the T1s the nod with electronica/dubstep/club music. I also tend to have different uses...the 1350s will go with me to and from work, the 80s I use for tv viewing, the T1s and 500s are mostly serving reference duty and I use them for most of my critical listening, and then the 325s I use for movie watching. Not all set in stone, of course, but I enjoy having this type of variety. I've been off of work for a few weeks, so last night I was watching Netflix movies on Roku with my 1350s and my ZO portable amp...was a lot of fun :)  

May 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 100
Quote:
DT1350 is definitely a cool guy and practical buddy. It almost got me into Beyerdynamic, until I don't know which other Grado headphones got in the way, lol, and made me forget about that desire completely.

lol, no shame in that...I'm going to be without  my PS500s temporarily (long story) and it's KILLING me. I've only had them about a month but will miss them terribly. 

May 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 100
I sent my HP-1000 for a retermination at Moon-Audio, it's been about a week now, and I'm missing it terribly also :p.

It even pushed me to dig back my old failed T50RP... actually listening to it right now I won't be saying "failed mod" anymore, it sounds awesome, lol.

May 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 100
That's cool you're such a huge Grado guy...I was reading through your profile and checking out your pics...good stuff! 

I was already loving the 80s and 325s, but the more time I spent with the 500s the more they became the perfect headphone for me. I honestly can't imagine what the PS1000s could do that would make me love the Grado sound even more, but I want to audition them for sure. 

PS. Drew at Moon Audio is a good dude. He hooked me up with a T1 extension cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back