Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #721 of 761
I picked this bad boy up for $50 from Jaben Audio. Special thanks to @H20Fidelity for the heads up.

My god! These are some really well rounded cans. They sound flat throughout except for a little bit of elevation in the bass department. The bass goes down to around 30Hz and stays coherent, punchy and plentiful. It's forward but not overwhelming, not for a second. Mids are great and are actually well complimented with the extra warms added from the bass, they sound like they're where they're supposed to be. The treble is also all there, not hot/sibilant and not rounded off too much. They extend up to my limit of hearing which is around the 16.5-17kHz mark. There does seem to be a little dip in the 4-5kHz region but it does not effect the sound too much. Treble is still enough to give sound stage some more than average width and good, well defined depth. Instrument separation is very good also. It sounds very dynamic and almost like listening to a full surround sound headphone at times.

This is truly a diamond that most have overlooked.

I've only one gripe with them (well two actually). The fully plastic construction is nothing to brag about and because of it the yoke sometimes creaks when you move around. This happens rarely and is not worrying but distracting when it does happen. 

I will definitely be buying some velour HM5 pads to compliment this great headphone.

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #724 of 761
Good results pairing DR-150 with Colorfly C3. Really brings out the soundstage.

I wish the sound stage was wider on them. They would be very hard to beat if it was.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #725 of 761
I wish the sound stage was wider on them. They would be very hard to beat if it was.

For a semi open it is a little narrow, C3 is known for having quite a wide stage so the headphone has no choice but to take that on.

I've actually had a look inside one pair of my DR-150, the drivers are quite small considering the cup size.

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #726 of 761
For a semi open it is a little narrow, C3 is known for having quite a wide stage so the headphone has no choice but to take that on.

I've actually had a look inside one pair of my DR-150, the drivers are quite small considering the cup size.

I'm curious, are these fully open backed, or does it have baffles inside?

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #727 of 761
I'm curious, are these fully open backed, or does it have baffles inside?

Here's what they look like inside. 

BUT

It has this piece of mesh covering the grill stock with tape (that top photo has had it removed which I read members experimented with). 

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #728 of 761
Here's what they look like inside. 

BUT

It has this piece of mesh covering the grill stock with tape (that top photo has had it removed which I read members experimented with). 

Any noticeable change in signature and/or sound stage when you remove the foam?

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #729 of 761
Any noticeable change in signature and/or sound stage when you remove the foam?

They're not my photo's I grabbed them from google images, so never tried.

It's logged in the thread somewhere it messed up the bass response or something?

You would need to research through the thread on a rainy day.. Not much inside them though eh...... 
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #730 of 761
They're not my photo's I grabbed them from google images, so never tried.

It's logged in the thread somewhere it messed up the bass response or something?

You would need to research through the thread on a rainy day.. Not much inside them though eh...... :smile:

Interesting. Will do.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #731 of 761
I'm happy to see these get some attention. I loved my old pair and was sad to see that Goldring had stopped making them, else I would have bought a second after my first pair started to break after a few years of heavy use.

That Jaben Audio sale is the first time in a while I've seen them going for a good price. What's their international shipping like?

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #732 of 761
  I'm happy to see these get some attention. I loved my old pair and was sad to see that Goldring had stopped making them, else I would have bought a second after my first pair started to break after a few years of heavy use.

That Jaben Audio sale is the first time in a while I've seen them going for a good price. What's their international shipping like?

Best you send them an email, as being Australia couldn't tell about the international shipping costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back