Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #736 of 761
  Will I need an amp with these headphones? and how is the soundstage on these?

Soundstage is average on these, depth and height and width is almost the same as you would get from a pair of studio monitor speakers. Some say they're above average for the price point but to me it still feels like you're wearing headphones. Instrument placement is nice though.

They do sing with amplification, yes, Or else the treble will be congested and feels like the top ends are clipping.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #737 of 761
  Will I need an amp with these headphones? and how is the soundstage on these?

You don't need an amp to power them, no. But they sound better with one. Sound stage is above average. Better than anything in the price range, actually better than most in the $200 range.

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #739 of 761
Let me say weeks on way passed any honey moon stage my bond with DR-150 remains strong. They're one of my goto headphones for comfort and convenience. Some of my hybrid IEM are rather bright and over long periods fatiguing. I find these headphones hit a real sweet spot in tone and overall SQ that gives my ears a rest from the hybrid IEM whilst remaining more than enjoyable.

I run them with either a DX50 / JDS C421 or the Kogan DAP we have discovered in Australia. They're very musical involving headphones that will not disappointed you.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #741 of 761
  @DJScope  How are the new pads working out for you mate? Do you feel they give any improvement or difference?

Comfort is a heaps better for longer listening that's for sure. Not sure about it changing the sound though. Sounds pretty much the same to me. These cans are definitely a very enjoyable listen all through the sound spectrum. No fuss about them. They look "alright", they sound great with nothing to be overly excited about and absolutely nothing to be disappointed about. Best 24/7 headphone out there IMO.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #742 of 761

Comfort is a heaps better for longer listening that's for sure. Not sure about it changing the sound though. Sounds pretty much the same to me. These cans are definitely a very enjoyable listen all through the sound spectrum. No fuss about them. They look "alright", they sound great with nothing to be overly excited about and absolutely nothing to be disappointed about. Best 24/7 headphone out there IMO.

My DR-150 pads are already becoming a little too relaxed / compressed for my liking. I do wonder if using them laying down is shortening their life span. Semi keen on trying the velour HM5 pads, I just worry what they'll do to the sound. My SRH840 sound absolutely hollow and suffering using the pleather HM5 pads. Go figure the SRH440 (Same design) sounds great.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #743 of 761

My DR-150 pads are already becoming a little too relaxed / compressed for my liking. I do wonder if using them laying down is shortening their life span. Semi keen on trying the velour HM5 pads, I just worry what they'll do to the sound. My SRH840 sound absolutely hollow and suffering using the pleather HM5 pads. Go figure the SRH440 (Same design) sounds great.

I thought the the sound might change. It did when I got the leather HM5 pads for the Pro 80s, but I didn't notice any change with the DR150s. When I had the leather ones on the DR150 temporarily, the sound was a little warmer but the change wasn't as dramatic as with the Pro 80s. I would think it's because they are closed versus the open DR150s. All in all they are still as enjoyable as ever.
One thing about the new HM5 pads is that the material that goes into the cups is a little harder so I had to cut some of it off with scissors to get a proper fit in the cups. The original pads are kind of press fit into the cups. 

If you lie on one of the cups and keep it constantly compressed it will eventually deform and no longer have the same bouncy properties. If that's what you mean. I suggest lying on you back. 
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #744 of 761

I thought the the sound might change. It did when I got the leather HM5 pads for the Pro 80s, but I didn't notice any change with the DR150s. When I had the leather ones on the DR150 temporarily, the sound was a little warmer but the change wasn't as dramatic as with the Pro 80s. I would think it's because they are closed versus the open DR150s. All in all they are still as enjoyable as ever.
One thing about the new HM5 pads is that the material that goes into the cups is a little harder so I had to cut some of it off with scissors to get a proper fit in the cups. The original pads are kind of press fit into the cups. 

If you lie on one of the cups and keep it constantly compressed it will eventually deform and no longer have the same bouncy properties. If that's what you mean. I suggest lying on you back. 
wink.gif

I want to see what your velour HM5 pads look like once they break in, then I will probably go ahead. I say that in positiveness hoping they may relax a little. 

I listen on my back but I think the back of the headphone gets pushed in like a V due to compression from the pillow.

Let me see.

They're still ok for now I guess.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #745 of 761

I want to see what your velour HM5 pads look like once they break in, then I will probably go ahead. I say that in positiveness hoping they may relax a little. 

I listen on my back but I think the back of the headphone gets pushed in like a V due to compression from the pillow.

Let me see.

They're still ok for now I guess.

I'm not a big fan of the original pads. They're too shallow and too hard for my liking. If you want, I can send you my original pads, I'm never going to use them for anything. 
The original pads are just foam sponge but these new HM5 pads are memory foam. I'm not sure about durability but they form the shape of you head. I think the original HM5 pads use polyester wool which is even softer, which I probably like more than the memory foam. Unfortunately they don't make them in velour.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #746 of 761

I'm not a big fan of the original pads. They're too shallow and too hard for my liking. If you want, I can send you my original pads, I'm never going to use them for anything. 
The original pads are just foam sponge but these new HM5 pads are memory foam. I'm not sure about durability but they form the shape of you head. I think the original HM5 pads use polyester wool which is even softer, which I probably like more than the memory foam. Unfortunately they don't make them in velour.

Thanks, you hold onto them for now, they may just come in handy! 

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #747 of 761
  Just reporting in to say my DR-150 arrived some days ago.

There was an issue with my first pair, something was going a miss when reaching for deep sub-bass frequencies, a resonance going through them, it would make vocals vibrate and sound like the bass note collapsed under SPL pressure, it was ok at lower volumes though after reaching a certain level was an obvious problem. I don't know which side driver as it appeared to come from both sides using a balance switch.

After testing further I just bought another pair straight away before sending the others back to Jaben. 
biggrin.gif

Apart from this small problem I absolutely admire the value this headphone offers. From the comfort, build, appearance, ability to wear while laying down, soundstage, detail, tone, imaging, I don't think I need to say anything more that's already said about Goldring DR-150. I absolutely love them so much rather than get a refund on the faulty pair I'm having them replaced with a second unit as I don't know how easy these are to find anymore. For the $50 'shipped express' I picked mine up I simply couldn't give up getting another set. I would have paid double easy and still be chuffed.

I'm running mine with DX50 / JDS C421, and couldn't be happier at the moment.

Thanks for everyone who contributed to the thread, if it wasn't for this thread and you guys I wouldn't have taken a chance. 

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the head up bro. I have finally get to let my DR150 to be in action again. 
L3000.gif

Bought DR150 3 years ago then recently upgraded to Soundmagic HP200 and pair with Bravo Audio v2 for my desktop setup. I didn't like DR150 + BA v2 combo so ended up trying to put it on sale again and let it sleep in the box. Never thought of putting it up with DX50.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #748 of 761
Hi there,

I'm bumping the thread for 2 reasons.

- Some little plastic things were broken in my DR150. Do you know any source for parts? I do not have too high hopes in this matter....
- Any suggestions on what to get to replace the DR150's? I love the sound of these, but I could use some closed cans in the same price range.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #749 of 761
  Hi there,

I'm bumping the thread for 2 reasons.

- Some little plastic things were broken in my DR150. Do you know any source for parts? I do not have too high hopes in this matter....
- Any suggestions on what to get to replace the DR150's? I love the sound of these, but I could use some closed cans in the same price range.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This is the only place I know of where you can get them for a decent price. http://www.jaben.com.au/collections/goldring/products/gol-dr150
Ask them about shipping, I know they've shipped it overseas for some Head-Fiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back