Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #751 of 761
  Hi, I'd like to do the same with my DR150s as the pads are worse for wear.  Are the HM5 replacements easy to fit or do they have to be altered?

Thanks for any advice.

It's not an easy task but after some persuasion they go on, and it makes a HUGE difference in comfort.

May 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #752 of 761
Hi DJ Scope, thanks for replying.

My main concerns are on one headphone the screws have lost their x grip and when removing replacing the pad on the other side it seemed so easy to snap the wire from the solder.  So thanks, I shall brace myself!

Just in case the worst does happen do you happen to know if the HM5 headphones are as good as the 150s please?

Thanks again for replying.

May 21, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #753 of 761
  Hi DJ Scope, thanks for replying.

My main concerns are on one headphone the screws have lost their x grip and when removing replacing the pad on the other side it seemed so easy to snap the wire from the solder.  So thanks, I shall brace myself!

Just in case the worst does happen do you happen to know if the HM5 headphones are as good as the 150s please?

Thanks again for replying.

You don't need to take anything apart to remove or apply the pads. Just pry the flanges apart with a small flat head screw driver or a knife for the material to slip into the teeth.

They HM5 and DR-150s are quite different. I'd say also look into the Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR1000/HyperX Cloud if all else fails.

May 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #754 of 761
Hi DJScope, thanks very much for replying with that info, I really appreciate it.

It's great news that the pads can be replaced without the need for the screws to be taken off.  Hopefully my 150s will last a long time then with no risk of breaking them that way.

Thanks very much for posting alternatives.  The Geminis look quite nice.

I'll let you know how I get on when the pads arrive next week.  Post a pic too hopefully.  The really do look so comfortable wow I can't wait.

May 23, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #755 of 761
Hi DJ Scope.

So I got the pads today and I managed to put them on
L3000.gif

I nearly messed up, got it a bit back to front at first.  Due to one of the cans having threaded screws I thought I would try to put them on that one first with the knife technique you advised, thanks very much for that.  It did take me some time to get the idea of it but after some struggle I got that pad on.  I thought I would be clever, which is usually a mistake, and take the screws off the other can and just easily fit the new pad.  However after I did that you can guess my next problem.  The grill inside the headphones covered the screw holes.  I was tempted to take the grills off as I had already done that on the DR150s but to be honest I didn't think I noticed a difference.  So I had to take the HM5 pad off again, put the screws back on and get the knife back in action.  It was much quicker to put on though after the practise of the first can.

To cut a long story short.  Da raaaa!!!

Oops, I can't upload images
etysmile.gif
  (was just a before and after)  Same as others have posted really.

Oh yeah wowwow they are really comfortable!  Very happy with the change.

One thing I think I'm noticing, there seems to be more of a Sean Connery sound to voices now when watching TV, you know I kind of sh when pronouncing the letter s and an extra tsh when pronouncing the letter t.  Is that just my imagination or has anyone else noticed a difference?  Can't be the thing grill surely?

Thanks again DJScope, you were very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #756 of 761
  Hi DJ Scope.

So I got the pads today and I managed to put them on
L3000.gif

I nearly messed up, got it a bit back to front at first.  Due to one of the cans having threaded screws I thought I would try to put them on that one first with the knife technique you advised, thanks very much for that.  It did take me some time to get the idea of it but after some struggle I got that pad on.  I thought I would be clever, which is usually a mistake, and take the screws off the other can and just easily fit the new pad.  However after I did that you can guess my next problem.  The grill inside the headphones covered the screw holes.  I was tempted to take the grills off as I had already done that on the DR150s but to be honest I didn't think I noticed a difference.  So I had to take the HM5 pad off again, put the screws back on and get the knife back in action.  It was much quicker to put on though after the practise of the first can.

To cut a long story short.  Da raaaa!!!

Oops, I can't upload images
etysmile.gif
  (was just a before and after)  Same as others have posted really.

Oh yeah wowwow they are really comfortable!  Very happy with the change.

One thing I think I'm noticing, there seems to be more of a Sean Connery sound to voices now when watching TV, you know I kind of sh when pronouncing the letter s and an extra tsh when pronouncing the letter t.  Is that just my imagination or has anyone else noticed a difference?  Can't be the thing grill surely?

Thanks again DJScope, you were very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time
beerchug.gif

I'm glad you have them installed and you are enjoying them. The sound differences are normal because the drivers are now further away from your ears and you get a better seal. You should also have slightly better 3D imaging.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #757 of 761
Hi DJScope,

I definitely get what you mean now about 3D imaging.  When I was listening to football it sounded like the crowd were outside of the headphones surrounding me, quite a strange experience at first as I thought there was something crazy happening outside my house.  I don't have a problem with vocals anymore either, I think it was the source that was the problem.

So happy I upgraded to these ear pads, the comfort level is amazing but the bonus of better imaging is fantastic.  Thanks again for all your help and adivce :)

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #758 of 761
  Hi DJScope,

I definitely get what you mean now about 3D imaging.  When I was listening to football it sounded like the crowd were outside of the headphones surrounding me, quite a strange experience at first as I thought there was something crazy happening outside my house.  I don't have a problem with vocals anymore either, I think it was the source that was the problem.

So happy I upgraded to these ear pads, the comfort level is amazing but the bonus of better imaging is fantastic.  Thanks again for all your help and adivce :)

Not a problem at all mate! Enjoy! 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #760 of 761
I got dr150 today I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I like the overall balance but these sound a bit veiled. Bass rolls off too early and highs are bit recessed to my taste. I tried to improve the clarity by removing the foam covering the driver but that messed up the balance. Clarity was improved but with proper listening volume these are very basslight now. Dynamics are lacking and sound is lifeless in general. I think these would be pretty nice for $30 but I would not pay more than that. Competition in budget headphones is so tough these days that 10 year old headphones are becoming outdated.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #761 of 761
I got dr150 today I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I like the overall balance but these sound a bit veiled. Bass rolls off too early and highs are bit recessed to my taste. I tried to improve the clarity by removing the foam covering the driver but that messed up the balance. Clarity was improved but with proper listening volume these are very basslight now. Dynamics are lacking and sound is lifeless in general. I think these would be pretty nice for $30 but I would not pay more than that. Competition in budget headphones is so tough these days that 10 year old headphones are becoming outdated.

Replace the pads as I did. Should help greatly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back