Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #691 of 761
Well, this might be old news:

It would appear that despite the many positive reviews of the DR150, a completely non-existent marketing campaign form Goldring in the US combined with idiot consumers flocking to Monster Beats instead, the DR150 is nowhere to be found on North American websites.  A single sad entry is to be found on www.ebay.co.uk. 

Instead of a worthy contender to several legendary $100-$200 headphones such as the ATH-AD700 and several Grado models, we are instead blessed with a myriad of Skull Candy, Monster, Bose and Kickers courtesy of the consumers who continue to purchase them from big chains like Future Shop and Best Buy.

Very sad.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #692 of 761
Can anyone recommend a replacement for the DR 150 velour earpads?  Mine are starting to deteriorate and getting official spares seems to be impossible.

I was wondering if anyone had experimented with using replaceable pads from other manufacturers e.g. Shure, Sennheiser, etc.?  

Any advice appreciated as I still love these headphones!

James.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #695 of 761
bro i'm sensing you're a fellow Pinoy? hehe.
anyways dr150 lover here, but i'm not sure too about replacement pads, which would fit right with the docs, some senn maybe.

one more question for docs users, has anyone tried cleaning those velour pads? mine needs a fresh smell :D

TIA.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #696 of 761
Quote:
bro i'm sensing you're a fellow Pinoy? hehe.
anyways dr150 lover here, but i'm not sure too about replacement pads, which would fit right with the docs, some senn maybe.
one more question for docs users, has anyone tried cleaning those velour pads? mine needs a fresh smell
biggrin.gif

TIA.

Heh, no, I'm actually from the UK
smile.gif

I've cleaned my pads before with mild handwash detergent and warm water and it worked OK. I wouldn't stick them in the washing machine though!

After a bit of research, I think the Shure 940 and the Senn 555/595 pads might fit the DR150s, so i think I'll try the Senn pads as they are cheaper and designed for an open back headphone.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #697 of 761
haha i see.

let me know bro after you tried those replacement pads. For now, I just need to freshen up my pads, btw, when you cleaned yours, did you take them off the headphones? I'm thinking if I take it off, I wouldn't be able to place it back to its original position (the leatherette part in between the plastic enclosure).

TY again
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #698 of 761
Yeah, it's best to take them off before cleaning, makes it much easier
smile.gif

To take them off, first unscrew the driver cover (the part the pad fits over) from the cups. If you look inside the ear pad while it's still attached, just under the padded part there are 4 tiny screws, one in each 'corner' (you might need to push the padding to one side slightly to see them.)

Take these screws out and then you can pull the driver cover away from the main part of the cup - be careful though as the driver is attached to the main part by very thin wires. The ear pad should just slip off easily now, and is pretty easy to get back on too!

When you do this, you might also want to clean up the mess that the manufacturers made taping the bit of foam to the rear of the cup
smile.gif
(or maybe remove the foam entirely - I did and I think it sounds slightly better; easy enough to put back later if you don't like it!)

James.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #699 of 761
Yeah, it's best to take them off before cleaning, makes it much easier :smile:

To take them off, first unscrew the driver cover (the part the pad fits over) from the cups. If you look inside the ear pad while it's still attached, just under the padded part there are 4 tiny screws, one in each 'corner' (you might need to push the padding to one side slightly to see them.)

Take these screws out and then you can pull the driver cover away from the main part of the cup - be careful though as the driver is attached to the main part by very thin wires. The ear pad should just slip off easily now, and is pretty easy to get back on too!

When you do this, you might also want to clean up the mess that the manufacturers made taping the bit of foam to the rear of the cup :smile: (or maybe remove the foam entirely - I did and I think it sounds slightly better; easy enough to put back later if you don't like it!)

James.

thanks so much bro! I wasn't able to figure that out before. now I'll be able to pamper these goodies with extra care. i really appreciate it :smile:

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #701 of 761
Me too.

Even an official endorsement from the head-fi community wasn't enough to combat the product placement found in Generic Electronics Chain Store X. 

Personally, I find I'm increasingly sticking to studio-centric headphones because they are well regarded, the studios keep buying them and thus the manufacturers have no reason to discontinue them.  DT880, DT770, DT990, DT250, MDR-7506, ATH-M50, SRH440, SRH840, HD600, HD650, HD280 Pro, K240, K271 and K701 - I'm looking at you.  Replacement parts and high scores for durability are also worth noting in general. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #702 of 761
Greeting from Singapore!

Got my Goldrings quite a while back in 2010, it was my first set of proper headphones and it has been my base of comparison with other headphones my friends are using.

Not sure if it's a good thing, but I've been so accustomed to the sound signature of the DR150 that I find other cans of the same price range dulls in comparison.

Got my cans @ 170 SGD back then, not sure about the prices now, but I still see a couple of sets here and there in small audio stores.

Quite sad to see this underdog being overcast by ugly things like Beats and Monsters.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #703 of 761
Quote:
Greeting from Singapore!

Got my Goldrings quite a while back in 2010, it was my first set of proper headphones and it has been my base of comparison with other headphones my friends are using.

Not sure if it's a good thing, but I've been so accustomed to the sound signature of the DR150 that I find other cans of the same price range dulls in comparison.

Got my cans @ 170 SGD back then, not sure about the prices now, but I still see a couple of sets here and there in small audio stores.

Quite sad to see this underdog being overcast by ugly things like Beats and Monsters.

Not to mention seeing folks waste a fistful of cash on headphones that have done nothing to deserve a respectable spot in the headphone world.  It kills me to imagine the guy with $400 in his pocket drive past Long and McQuade and their wall of killer headphones only to turn into a Best Buy and grab a pair of Monsters.  It's like watching some idiot cast a vote for Sarah Palin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back