Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #301 of 431
If you want an HRT MicroStreamer to throw in the mix. I have an extra one you could use. (Actually I have a whole case of them for sale.
biggrin.gif
)

I have one :). It's just with Purrin down south so wasn't available for the photo. 

I still need to source a new dragonfly (v 1.2) for cheap, get my dacport 1 ohm modded, and take delivery on my Geek Out and Super Duper Geek Out to do a proper comparison :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #302 of 431
Meanwhile at my half-table, I'll probably have both the HRT Musicstreamer II and II+ for anyone wanting to compare and see if the II+ is better.  (Spoiler alert: it is.)

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #303 of 431
  Meanwhile at my half-table, I'll probably have both the HRT Musicstreamer II and II+ for anyone wanting to compare and see if the II+ is better.  (Spoiler alert: it is.)

I remember how surprised you were when you listened to the II+ last year. You bought that thing on the spot!!!

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #304 of 431
  I remember how surprised you were when you listened to the II+ last year. You bought that thing on the spot!!!

Yeah, it was a no-brainer.  The II+ got me to a point where I'm content... and I know there's better... but this point, I'm gonna wait and see how the Geek Out and Geek Pulse turn out and take it from there.  Besides, I recently blew money on buying an HE-500 and upgrading my Mad Dog to an Alpha Dog, so it's good to pause and reflect on things for a bit.  (Translation: "Ouch, my wallet!")

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #305 of 431
a friend of mine has an ebay AK4399-based dac that I might be able to convince him to bring:

its in a case but this was the only ebay pic I could find of the actual board.  pretty much a standard 4399 build.

if interest, I can ask my buddy to bring this cased DAC along.  I'll have my AMB gamma2 there (wm8741 based) there for comparison.

for my gear, I'm planning to have a custom beta22 and integrated delta1 attenuator.  it will be arduino-based, but with something new for this year (if I can get it completed in time!)

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #306 of 431
I just spoke with Crashem and have taken up his generous offer to pick up his LCD-X as well as the Hugo amp if it is ready, and bring them to the meet for everyone to hear.  FrankCooter, I'd love to bring it by your setup and compare against the LCD-3, and get your opinion and from others about how they compare.  Crashem would like to get some ideas about the what amp has the best synergy with them as well.  Zashoomin, I'd like to bring them by your setup too if that's okay with you.  

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #307 of 431
  if there is interest (and if there is room) I can also bring my hacked behringer dcx-2496 (a 3 way crossover for active spkr systems).  my mod is to bypass the analog-out (dac) sections of the DCX and install spdif transmitter chips so that the crossover is now pure spdif-in AND spdif-out.  a lot of people are considering the DCX box as a very affordable way to get a clean digital crossover and this mod helps bring the dcx to a new level of performance.

what my mod looks like:

so, if people are interested in seeing this, I can bring it along.  but due to not having a definite table yet, I will wait to hear if there is interest, first, before taking this with me.

at some point, I plan to make a production PCB out of this and offer it as a group buy.  for now, though, its a one-off build on a hand made perf board.  its been working for me for over a year now and when you add 2 outboard dacs to this, your active spkr system really takes on a whole new level of performance.

/bryan

Definitely interested...

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #308 of 431
  OH MY FREAKING GAWD!!!!!

Sorry, just a little freaked out. Came down with an ear infection (or something else painful and sound interfering) in my right ear. Hoping to see an ENT on Monday, if they can squeeze me in.

Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap...

mad.gif

confused_face_2.gif

frown.gif

OW, that is terrible news.  Hope some antibiotics will clear that out quickly!

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #309 of 431
  UPDATES (2/9/2014):
  1. Light Harmonic confirms!  Sort of. They said they are bringing a Geek Out. Dunno about DaVinci DAC.

Floor Diagrams Updated:
  1. aameford gear to be with shane55 (or running around with him)
  2. zerodeefex will place gear with someone (Dinky DAC Shootout, see below)
  3. shane55/aamefford moves to zerodeefex spot (shane55, that ear better behave!)
  4. More Schiit. (So they can bring "everything"- taking aameford/shane55 table)
  5. Darinf returns (Stoney's spot, we hope he is doing okay)
  6. koilico gives up space (running from business trip so no gear)
  7. tvolpe1600 gives up space (GS-X not arrived yet)
  8. 3X0 and mosesed take koiloco/tvolpe1600 table
  9. wolfetan44 takes an empty spot we made (we forgot wolfie!??!)
  10. particleman14 stays RIGHT where he is (congrats on Omega SR-007, BTW)
  11. linuxworks to no-show spot or my portable table (something new from him!)
  12. Has always been some extra space at our events, but will bring a portable table just in case.
  13. yfei sharing laptop and Lynx Hilo on my table too
  14. Did we miss anyone?  Thanks, zerodeefex for making the updates!

Look for this line-up of "Dinky DACs".  
USB-powered headphone DAC/Amps to stick on your computer or use with your portable rig. 
zerodeefex bought them so we could compare them, do some reviewing, send them on a little tour...  
We'll try to let you know which spot they will be in.  (Let ZD know if you would be a good babysitter.)

I wouldn't mind half a table for a small set up.  If not, I'll probably just bring myself, my camera, and my W3000ANV's in a messenger bag and just roam around listening to gear and take pictures again like last year.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #310 of 431
   OW, that is terrible news.  Hope some antibiotics will clear that out quickly!

Thanks all!!
As it turns out it is NOT an infected inner ear.

It appears to be some sort of inflammation of the auditory nerve. That will typically mean damage and hearing loss, but might be averted by steroidal anti-inflammatories (prednisone). 60% recovery fully, if caught in time. Ugh...
So... you may need to forgive the 'Roid Rage' I'll be suffrin' from.
blink.gif

Prednisone leaves me a wee bit cranky.

See you all SOON!!! 

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #311 of 431

Thanks all!!
As it turns out it is NOT an infected inner ear.

It appears to be some sort of inflammation of the auditory nerve. That will typically mean damage and hearing loss, but might be averted by steroidal anti-inflammatories (prednisone). 60% recovery fully, if caught in time. Ugh...
So... you may need to forgive the 'Roid Rage' I'll be suffrin' from.
blink.gif

Prednisone leaves me a wee bit cranky.

See you all SOON!!! 

Yeah, but at least you will get nice and puffy and stuff (sits quietly whilst you tell me to do whatever unmentionable and potentially impossible thing to myself that comes to mind...).  Prednisone sucks, but it does help.  I'm really sorry!  My fingers are crossed that you caught it in time!  Take care, hope I see you at the meet.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #312 of 431
  Yeah, it was a no-brainer.  The II+ got me to a point where I'm content... and I know there's better... but this point, I'm gonna wait and see how the Geek Out and Geek Pulse turn out and take it from there.  Besides, I recently blew money on buying an HE-500 and upgrading my Mad Dog to an Alpha Dog, so it's good to pause and reflect on things for a bit.  (Translation: "Ouch, my wallet!")

I'll be offering my balanced Dynahi at a meet special price as I'm moving up the chain. It really rocks the orthos... I'd recommend you just not listen to it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #314 of 431
  Yeah, but at least you will get nice and puffy and stuff (sits quietly whilst you tell me to do whatever unmentionable and potentially impossible thing to myself that comes to mind...).  Prednisone sucks, but it does help.  I'm really sorry!  My fingers are crossed that you caught it in time!  Take care, hope I see you at the meet.

Just thought of a couple things...
One might not be so impossible. 
blink.gif

eek.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

We'll discuss on Sunday. Heh heh...

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #315 of 431
I'm new to his whole scene, but I am going to be in the Bay Area that weekend. Actually, it's my first time to visit Cali and anything out west. Gonna try and drop in if I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back