Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014
Feb 10, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #316 of 431
Scratch that, do need a table.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #317 of 431
I would have never imagined I would attend one of these meetings being from Europe. Count me in.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #318 of 431
I just spoke with Crashem and have taken up his generous offer to pick up his LCD-X as well as the Hugo amp if it is ready, and bring them to the meet for everyone to hear.  FrankCooter, I'd love to bring it by your setup and compare against the LCD-3, and get your opinion and from others about how they compare.  Crashem would like to get some ideas about the what amp has the best synergy with them as well.  Zashoomin, I'd like to bring them by your setup too if that's okay with you.  

We're on for Thursday to meet up. Just found out no way chord hugo around before this weekend. Also, hopefully lcd x fully burned in by Thursday. Pink noise, white noise, etc.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #319 of 431
my friend will be bringing his Hifiman HE-400 with him and I'll have that at my table, if there is space for me :wink:

it sounded pretty good on the b22 (we used to leave those at work, believe it or not) but it was a bit heavy (weight wise) for me.

I'll have my hd650, which is still my go-to phones, with me, as well.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #320 of 431
Tibetan Singing Bowl:  Guess the Frequency Contest

ENTER 
On a sheet of paper at the front desk, enter your:
  • Full Name
  • Head-fi Name (if you have one)
  • Frequency guess in Hz.    (EXAMPLE:  120.5Hz)

LIMIT, ONE ENTRY PER PERSON (determined by name on the entry)

PRIZE
Person who guesses primary frequency of the bowl the closest (first harmonic to within a tenth of a Hz) will win a $40 HDTracks gift certificate PLUS adoring fans & bragging rights for one year. 
Tie?  A drawing from tied entries determines the winner.

WINNER
Will be announced after 3:00 pm on February 16th, 2014 at the SF Bay Area Head-Fi meet.
Must be present to win.
If you win, NO SPAM will be awarded!  Just need an email address to send you the HDTracks gift certificate. 
wink_face.gif

(Thanks, jazzfan for this extra bit of fun!)

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #322 of 431
[COLOR=FF0000]UPDATES (2/9/2014):[/COLOR]

• Light Harmonic confirms!  Sort of. They said they are bringing a Geek Out. Dunno about DaVinci DAC.

Floor Diagrams Updated:

• aameford gear to be with shane55 (or running around with him)
  • zerodeefex will place gear with someone (Dinky DAC Shootout, see below)
  • shane55/aamefford moves to zerodeefex spot (shane55, that ear better behave!)
  • More Schiit. (So they can bring "everything"- taking aameford/shane55 table)
  • Darinf returns (Stoney's spot, we hope he is doing okay)
  • koilico gives up space (running from business trip so no gear)
  • tvolpe1600 gives up space (GS-X not arrived yet)
  • 3X0 and mosesed take koiloco/tvolpe1600 table
  • wolfetan44 takes an empty spot we made (we forgot wolfie!??!)
  • particleman14 stays RIGHT where he is (congrats on Omega SR-007, BTW)
  • linuxworks to no-show spot or my portable table (something new from him!)
  • Has always been some extra space at our events, but will bring a portable table just in case.
  • yfei sharing laptop and Lynx Hilo on my table too
  • Did we miss anyone?  Thanks, zerodeefex for making the updates!

• I was going to ask for a table spot but I just remembered I have to cut out early so, I'll just bring my W5000 and hang out for a little while. Thanks!

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #323 of 431
Just a quick update on my equipment, I'll just be bringing:

Macbook Pro -> Schiit Bifrost Uber w/Gen. 2 USB -> Cavalli EHHA Rev. A -> HD800

Sorry, AK100 has been sold & Denon D2000 w/Cocobolo Rosewood extra depth cups won't be in by then. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #324 of 431
  Just a quick update on my equipment, I'll just be bringing:

Macbook Pro -> Schiit Bifrost Uber w/Gen. 2 USB -> Cavalli EHHA Rev. A -> HD800

Sorry, AK100 has been sold & Denon D2000 w/Cocobolo Rosewood extra depth cups won't be in by then. 

Will be cool to catch up with you! 

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #325 of 431
I will be bringing:

The full line of AMB headphone amps:
- AMB β22 + σ22
- AMB
- AMB CK²III
- AMB Mini³ (high performance edition with χ1 LiPo power)

Source:
- AMB γ2 DAC
- Laptop with lots of music, mostly FLAC and some high-res

Headphones:
- Sennheiser HD800
- Sennheiser HD600
- Sennheiser HD580
- Sennheiser PX100

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #326 of 431
Update to what I plan on bringing:

Headphones:
- Hifiman HE-500
- Mr Speakers Alpha Dog
- Sennheiser HD650
- Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm (for sale)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm

Sources:
- HRT Musicstreamer II+
- HRT Musicstreamer II

Amps:
- Burson Soloist (all 5 headphones)
- Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (HD650, DT880 and DT770 only)
- Emotiva mini-X a-100 (only have cabling for HE-500 and AD)

As you can see, there will be two amp options for each of the headphones I'm bringing.  The HE-500 and AD are both terminated with 4-pin XLR and with XLR to TRS adapters, and the Emotiva only has an XLR adapter for it currently... hence why only those two will work with it currently.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #327 of 431
what I am planning, so far:

just completed (well, almost complete, as of right now) a beta22 build that is a little bit different from the rest:

it uses an arduino inside (LCDuino without lcd), has a delta-1 relay attenuator, IR remote and motor pot - but also uses a nixie display for dB readout.  kind of fun and somewhat uncommon, with all the LCD builds going on these days.

I also updated my build of the gamma2 dac, with a built-in spdif 'meter' showing the sample rate (also an arduino inside doing that):

for spdif, I have the hiface-2 that gives asynch usb audio at 24bits and 192k.  I'll have a laptop with me that will play thru that usb/spdif dongle and into either the AK4399 ebay dac or the AMB y2 dac.

phones will be my hd650 and my friend's hifiman, that I listed in my previous post.

the beta22 is being finished this week, just in time for the meet :wink:

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #328 of 431
zomg. Nixie display. We will find you space even if it means I am functioning as your table. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #329 of 431
lol

the display board was just built last nite, in fact.  took me an entire day to solder this!

(the nixies are sitting right above the 4 resistors; those are the anode resistors that feed 170v DC, in)

I've been buying old test gear and some with nixies - and I just could not resist doing a build with those cute little tubes.  they are very abundant from russia and ukraine (on ebay) and not super expensive, either ($10 per tube, average).

I was worried that there would be some bad affect on the sound, but I don't hear any issues.  I am -not- using multiplexing, each tube is direct driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back