ODAC+O2 or Dacport LX+E11/cMoy for HE-400?
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
I'm just worried that some reviews, such as this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626615/centrance-dacport-lx-vs-ibasso-db2-boomslang-2-vs-jds-labs-objective-dac

say that the ODAC has problems such as this:

the highly resolving, otherwise very neutral and transparent Objective DAC throws little fits from time to time that are very annoying. This momentary aberrant behavior seems to occur whenever there's a particularly loud high frequency signal during an instant of high-complexity, where the DAC has a lot of work to do to sort everything out.  It's as if the ODAC just gives up, momentarily, and renders those instantaneous high frequencies like two blocks of styrofoam being rubbed together - to produce a very short in duration, but very loud distortion of information that the LX and the PB2 have no difficulty rendering cleanly.

For the most part, it appears to be a fair review.

I've been reading ODAC reviews for months, but this is the first claim of such noise I've seen. I've never heard such a noise. He states he hears noise when the ODAC "has a lot of work to do to sort everything out", but what is that supposed to mean? He's also an "op-amp roller". These don't reflect well on the reliability of his conclusions, in my opinion.

It doesn't matter how good (or bad) something sounds to one reviewer, another reviewer will have the opposite opinion. Before going on a single review, or on my recommendation, see how many other reviewers agree.

Edit: I have no reason to believe the ODAC produces better audio than the DACMini LX or vice versa. Clearly, the LX has features the ODAC lacks. It might even have better build quality, not that I think the ODAC is lacking. In fact, if their DACMini CX (not LX) was priced similarly to the ODAC+O2, I would have seriously considered it.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

For the most part, it appears to be a fair review.

I've been reading ODAC reviews for months, but this is the first claim of such noise I've seen. I've never heard such a noise. He states he hears noise when the ODAC "has a lot of work to do to sort everything out", but what is that supposed to mean? He's also an "op-amp roller". These don't reflect well on the reliability of his conclusions, in my opinion.

It doesn't matter how good (or bad) something sounds to one reviewer, another reviewer will have the opposite opinion. Before going on a single review, or on my recommendation, see how many other reviewers agree.

Edit: I have no reason to believe the ODAC produces better audio than the DACMini LX or vice versa. Clearly, the LX has features the ODAC lacks. It might even have better build quality, not that I think the ODAC is lacking. In fact, if their DACMini CX (not LX) was priced similarly to the ODAC+O2, I would have seriously considered it.

Firstly, I was talking about the DACport LX, not the DACmini. The DACmini is indeed priced over $600, but the DACport LX can be obtained for $200, which is only $50 more than the cost of a pre-assembled ODAC (I'm not a DIYer).

Here's another review of the ODAC (different reviewer) which shares a similar opinion. It can be found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/rjm/888-nwavguy-odac-24-96-dac-review.html. Note the line in bold - it seems to be talking about the same phenomenon as the last review I quoted.

So, I was planning on writing up a big 'ol review with my impressions, but, well... there's not really a lot of point. I can't very well sugar coat this: the odac is not very pleasant to listen to. It's thin and hard-edged, with a headache-inducing digital sheen that frankly I haven't experienced since the early gen CD players of the 1980's.

While the odac has an admirably low noise floor, good stereo reproduction, and clean, accurate (to a point) sound, there is a slight "shouty" quality, a tendency to harden up on intense passages, that suggests insufficient power reserves. I also can't shake the feeling that something is not right in the ultrasonic band. High frequency transients are brittle to the point of being physically unpleasant. It's not something you can easily spot unless you have a good reference to compare to - you might be tempted otherwise to think the track was recorded that way - but I suspect the long term effect, listener fatigue, will become obvious to most people sooner rather than later.

The 'intense passages' referred to here seem similar to what the previous reviewer means by 'when the ODAC has a lot of work to do to sort everything out'.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
Quote:
[...]

Firstly, I was talking about the DACport LX, not the DACmini. The DACmini is indeed priced over $600, but the DACport LX can be obtained for $200, which is only $50 more than the cost of a pre-assembled ODAC (I'm not a DIYer).

Sorry. I definitely got the model names confused. When I mentioned the CX, I meant to say I think CEntrance appears to make superior products.

The 'intense passages' referred to here seem similar to what the previous reviewer means by 'when the ODAC has a lot of work to do to sort everything out'.

Yet another point which didn't occur to me until last night. I haven't heard any such noise, but there are a number of reports that insufficient power causes the symptom described.

That's at least strike two for me. I'll go back to lurking.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
I'm just worried that some reviews, such as this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626615/centrance-dacport-lx-vs-ibasso-db2-boomslang-2-vs-jds-labs-objective-dac

say that the ODAC has problems such as this:

This is certainly a valid concern and probably has more to do with the DAC and how it is connected to a source than the amp, but thanks for the observation.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #20 of 26
As far as problem with the ODAC are concerned, it may not be the ODAC per se. For example, faulty devices may exist; it's not unlikely. Most electronics have a 5% approx failure rate. Also, the ODAC has some demands on how it is used...

With the O2 it should be on low gain, (max 3.5x). High gain will cause clipping with the O2 due to the quite high 2 volt output of the ODAC. If someone has their digital volume low then they may be tempted to press the high gain button, but the result will be audible issues.

There are also darker possibilities. There has been quite an anti-O2/ODAC brigade, with possible commercial reasons behind them. And there are good reasons to undermine the combo: it's too cheap and if it works according to spec: it's too good. If I were looking to attack it, then I would certainly write a 'fair and balanced' review but with enough to sow doubt. I;m not saying that this is the case here, but skulduggery is a feature of human life, especially where money is involved, and the ODAC/O2 is a known target. And, as mentioned, ther eis the complication of the op-amp rollers; to which the designer of the O2 has said it is not suited. This was an issue early on where one guy was effectively modding the O2 and then claiming it was rubbish. hmmm

Even so, the ODAC isn't without at least one flaw: when I switch on my fan heater, the darn thing cuts out!!!!

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #21 of 26
I started with the Asgard and several other amps...I built one O2 and bought one assembled....the Asgard is gone.
Also had a Lyr, its gone....

I have 2 odacs as well, never had any issues at all with hic-cups, noise, cutting out etc...

The O2 and ODAC are a good pair and work very, very well.....having transperent stuff lets you honestly hear what your cans and source material really sound like.

Each and every time I use these (2) I am amazed at how well something well designed and inexpensive works...

Alex

May 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:
The ODAC and O2 is objectively measured to be a great amp.  I have listened to the combo and my only gripe was the mild channel imbalance at extremely low volumes.  This of course has a fix.

I would not hesitate going with the ODAC and O2 combo and anyone who says otherwise has not read the complete measurements page or has not listened to it.  It is an extremely transparent system.  If the bass is not what one wants it to be it is not the amp causing the issue.

Hi,

Just in case I'll need it, what is the fix?

By the way, I'm using:

laptop --> ODAC --> O2 --> Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm; 2005 Edition)
or sometimes Sennhesier HD 595 (50 Ohm).

I haven't experienced any channel imbalance with either the  DT 880  or HD 595,
because I don't listen at very low volumes.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #24 of 26
  Hi,

Just in case I'll need it, what is the fix?

By the way, I'm using:

laptop --> ODAC --> O2 --> Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm; 2005 Edition)
or sometimes Sennhesier HD 595 (50 Ohm).

I haven't experienced any channel imbalance with either the  DT 880  or HD 595,
because I don't listen at very low volumes.

Do you feel the DT 880s to bright witht he ODAC/O2 ? because I have the DT 990s

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 26
  Do you feel the DT 880s to bright witht he ODAC/O2 ? because I have the DT 990s

Hi, if it is slightly bright at all, it is pleasantly bright, to my ears.
I enjoy  
beerchug.gif
 the ODAC and the O2   with my DT880s very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back