Ocharaku 音茶楽 thread
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 430

shigzeo

The Hiss King
Ocharaku are now a big name. Well, among the small contingent of audiophiles who like headphones, and just so happen not to mind earphones, and just so happen to aim rather high with their wallets despite their purchases bearing breathing holes, lacking neck cinches, and being carried by almost no one. For that group, Ocharaku earphones are big news.

Flat4 now has three models. SUI, like a hairy proto-human, came first. Those who like it really like it. Earlier, KAEDE blew my sweaty toes dry. Its fans are even more rabid. But it is now sold out. The successor is the completely able KURO. Reviews will pour in soon, I'm sure. 

Donguri is just damn cute. When it is released in Autumn, expect the Tokyo headfiers to be all over it. 

Considering that Mr. Yamagishi, the man behind the brand, has been behind many many audio innovations through several decades, I think we can expect more goodies from Ocharaku. I hope he keeps it small, keeps it real, and keeps the kitsch to which Japanese companies are so prone, at bay.

Mr. Yamagishi, you've made fans. Consider this thread another whiff of whuffie. Have a puffie on us. 

Headfi:
Please PM me with notable English or translated reviews of Ocharaku products. 

I've written the following:
1. Ocharaku Flat4 KAEDE in review
2. ohmage to the Ocharaku modded Audio Technica CKM55
3. ohmage to the Ocharaku Flat4-KURO

Ocharaku has a few threads going on here:
1. Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE
2. Ocharaku: Flat-4 SUI - the sound of tea
3. Ocharaku Donguri

Elsewhere:
1. Headfonia - Tornado Equalized Audio Technica: Ocharaku CKM55
2. Headfonia - Brutal World Class Acoustics: Ocharaku Flat-4 KURO and KAEDE

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 430
Yes, in Japanese, the first and last put together are music: 音楽. Tea put between them, the final pronunciation is different and the meaning changes vastly, but it's pretty clever. 

音 sound 

茶 tea

楽 enjoyment or comfort 

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 430
ocharaku-FLAT4-KURO%20earphones.jpg

BTW, my review of KURO is now up.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 430
Kanji FTW! 「楽」 is written a little different from the Chinese 「樂」, though identical in meaning. Like Simplified Chinese, the Japanese have modified some Kanji from the traditional Han Chinese characters for its own purposes. I always have fun guessing what certain "neo-Kanji" characters mean, because there are no analogues in Chinese. Trying to read old Korean text written in Hanja is interesting, too.

Back on topic, seeing the KURO always makes me think of Yamato's TA-Q-BIN...
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 430
From Google translate:

Quote:

[size=1.6em]
Revolution of canal type headphones​

[size=1.4em]
original experience of the highest peak sound easy tea x Olasonic was to realize​
[/size]

In collaboration Olasonic attention and brand "sound tea ease" of the headphones, original sound experience that does not get the possible canal type conventional headphone, headphone of the highest peak was born.​
It adopts acoustic patented technology developed by tea sound easy "Twin equalized element method" a (*), TH-F4N has achieved "sound pleasant to the ear gently".​
* Twin equalized element method is patented technology of sound tea easy Corporation. ​
(Patent No. 4,953,490 Issue)​
 ​
[/size]

[size=1.4em]
Feature​

[size=1.2em]
I adopt to correction by the closed tube resonance of the canal type headphone-specific "hard sound" and "Twin equalized element method"​
[/size]
 The canal type headphones, in the ear canal harmful "closed tube resonance" occurs would then fill in the ear canal headphones. ​
It is why they are said to have been emphasized Sashisuseso as "hard treble". ​
 Compensates for changes in the characteristics at the time of the wearing of the ear by using the "Twin equalized element method", TH-F4N can play sound pleasant to the ear gently. ​
 Place so as to face the driver two elements, this method is connected with phase correction pipe between elements. ​
 I suppress the unwanted peak By matching the length of the ear canal the length of the pipe, providing a crystal-clear sound quality without the incidental sound.​
[size=1.2em]
Significant improvement in bass reproduction capability of the twin drivers​
[/size]
By using two Φ10mm driver element, to ensure an equivalent diaphragm area Φ13, and large-diameter elements of 5mm equivalent, should be driven afford heavy bass.​
[size=1.2em]
Rear facing type layout to eliminate unwanted vibration of the driver element​
[/size]
By arranging thereby rear facing drivers two elements, and suppress unnecessary vibration due to the reaction of the vibrating system. ​
Delicate treble can be obtained in clear and heavy bass is not until now by the realization of a mechanical earth.​
[size=1.2em]
Crisp sound quality by processing vibration damping thorough​
[/size]
Processing is performed anti-vibration of an alloy powder paint vibration M2052 system with a damping effect on the center cabinet, and play beautifully to faint lingering sound did not hear until now by giving the paint anti-vibration also phase correction tube together .​
[size=1.2em]
"Near ply foam ear tip" by (*) adoption and reduce the unpleasant noise touch​
[/size]
Will be sold in (*) ENTRY SHOP. ​
Shop URL: ​
[size=1.2em]
I adopt a tangential less vibration plate, I realize midrange clean energy of distortion​
[/size]
[size=1.2em]
The adoption of powerful neodymium magnet of 400 kJ/m3 (50MGOe) maximum energy product, it constitutes a powerful magnetic circuit in the adoption of electromagnetic pure iron of the yoke and plate together​
[/size]
[size=1.2em]
Reduces magnetic distortion plated with copper processing and yoke plate​
[/size]
[/size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 430
and...

Quote:

[size=1.4em]

Effect of resonance in the closed tube canal type headphones​

[size=1.2em]
Characteristics of the normal ear: 1​
[/size]
size]
Is affected by the ear canal sound to reach up to the eardrum. ​
The length of the ear canal has been said to be 25mm ~ 30mm in general as in Figure 1. ​
Ear canal because it is blocked by the eardrum on one side and air column resonance at λ / 4,3 λ / 4 (open tube resonance). ​
Figure 2 sound pressure at the position of the eardrum when the open tube of 25mm ~ 30mm has resonance - is the frequency characteristic. ​
10kHz before and after and after 3k has elevated sound pressure due to the resonance.​
[size=1.2em]
Characteristics of the canal type headphones when mounted: 2​
[/size]
size]
Ear canal is plugged and attached to the ear canal type headphones like the Figure 3. ​
Mode of resonance changes by both sides of the ear canal is closed. ​
That is to air column resonance λ / 2, in λ (closed tube resonance). ​
Figure 4 sound pressure at the position of the eardrum when the closed tube of 25mm ~ 30mm has resonance - is the frequency characteristic. ​
I can see around 12kHz and 6kHz around for that is a rise in sound pressure due to the resonance. ​
Sound of Sa line is tight, especially because of the high-pitched tone, such as stick resonance of this 6kHz, I will be in the way of music listening.​

​
[size=1.2em]
Corresponding to suppress the resonance of 6kHz in the prior art: 3​
[/size]
size]
You set up the acoustic resistance in series in the path of the sound of the canal type headphones like the Figure 5. ​
Frequency response will be like Figure 6 - high frequency sound pressure so as to attenuate the impact of acoustic resistance. ​
Because that is suppressed resonance of 6kHz before and after, but range of 10kHz or more important would also greatly attenuated in music playback, balance at a certain extent.​
[size=1.2em]
4: tea sound easy "Twin equalized element method"​
[/size]
size]
The combination of the phase correction pipe driver and two elements, and is suppressing unwanted resonance 6KHz around like a broken line in FIG. ​
Without range of 10kHz or more is damaged, it can be suppressed only unnecessary resonance around 6kHz.​
[/size]

[size=1.4em]
Specification​

[tr]
[th]
Model number​
[/th] [td]
TH-F5N​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Color​
[/th] [td]
Silver​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Element​
[/th] [td]
Φ10 mm dynamic × 2 (ch per piece)​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Acoustic method​
[/th] [td]
Twin equalized element method​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Output sound pressure level​
[/th] [td]
104dBSPL/mW​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Frequency characteristic​
[/th] [td]
3.5 ~ 35kHz​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Maximum input​
[/th] [td]
400mW​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Impedance​
[/th] [td]
18Ω​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Mass​
[/th] [td]
About 18g​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Plug code​
[/th] [td]
1.2m (Y type) Φ3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini-plug​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Manufacturer's suggested retail price​
[/th] [td]
Open price​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Warranty period​
[/th] [td]
1 year​
[/td]​
[/tr] [tr]
[th]
Accessories​
[/th] [td]
Con ply foam earphone tip T-200 M / L size, microfiber cloth, ​
storage cans, instruction manual and warranty card​
[/td]​
[/tr]​
[/size]

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 430
I can officially sign up as a fan of Ocharaku and Yamagishi-san's creations. I only have the Sui now in my arsenal but I'm among those who, well, REALLY like it~ Its reproduction of timbre is dead-on accurate and, tho a bit dry sounding, is rather balanced (just a very very mild V) to my ears out of an AK100. The bass is punchy AND very controlled. Some may find it a bit too fast without too much decay, but that's how I like my music to be, quick, snappy, clear, no-nonsense and accurate.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 430
  I can officially sign up as a fan of Ocharaku and Yamagishi-san's creations. I only have the Sui now in my arsenal but I'm among those who, well, REALLY like it~ Its reproduction of timbre is dead-on accurate and, tho a bit dry sounding, is rather balanced (just a very very mild V) to my ears out of an AK100. The bass is punchy AND very controlled. Some may find it a bit too fast without too much decay, but that's how I like my music to be, quick, snappy, clear, no-nonsense and accurate.

One thing I'd like to see improved though is the Ocharaku can............although it looks great, it's not a very practical portable solution for carrying the earphones around - it's too big to fit in any pocket and the earphones knocking on the wall of the can (not lined with foam or anything) produces an annoying noise.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #15 of 430
I've just got a pair of used Flat-4 KURO at a decent price,SQ-wise ,it just blew my EX1000 away and this suits me much as I've been looking for a replacement to my EX1000,however,it's still a bit darker in ,I think, mid-high region and vocal that I found it sound a bit too dark compared to EX!000,I tried to EQ it out,but the result's a bit not satisfying,could this be the lack of "synergy" of my setup?(Fuze-> XP7 clone->Kuro/PC->Supra USB 2.0->M-stage w/DAC-> Kuro)

BTW,sony has just released XBA-X3,the "successor" to EX1000,at similar price point of my Kuro,I wonder how would they compare...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back