Obscure Chinese DAPs
May 16, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #4,801 of 8,152
Thanks for the recommendation . I like the benjie K3 at the same price, is this good? If i raise my budget to 35 euros,can someone suggest anything else, i can find the original mrobo c5 for 33 euros.
I imagine the K3 is very similar, not sure if it uses the same DAC as the S5, I would avoid the original mrobo c5, it cuts out low frequencies according to reviews.

May 17, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #4,803 of 8,152
I'm saying this:

2018-05-15_223416.png

Which prefer? I don't have any doubt :wink:

Can you allow a HiFi player to filter frequencies and change them to other audible tones? When I was playing a 19KHz wave I was hearing a 6Khz wave, as shown in the image ... You may like it more or less, everyone has their own tastes, but in terms of quality I still have no doubt.
@cqtek , very good analysis man.... btw, how does it correlate to your ears when listening to QNGEE X2 and ZISHAN Z3? Is it really noticeable I mean audible to the ears does it confirm the QNGEE is the best sounding compared to the others in the graph? thanks

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #4,804 of 8,152
Thank you for your words @nesty.

I will make the comparison using this song, because I think it has a voice, bass, a lot of definition and detail, as well as clarity and a great scene:

Before I must say that the Z3 due to its large output impedance modifies the frequency response of the headphones we connect.
To understand its effect I recommend, again, reading the following article:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

By this I mean that the Z3 is very dependent on the headphones we use, it may sound good or bad. An example of IEM whose sound for me is very bad with Zishan is the KZ ZS5 due to its low and irregular impedance.
However, with the KZ ZS6 it sounds quite good, it even benefits from the cut in treble that Zishan produces.

In this case I used the KZ ZS10 whose treble is not as sharp as the previous ZS.

The first thing I feel is the density of the music in Z3, while with X2 the music stretches across width and height, generating a larger and more circular scene, not as focused as in Z3.
The density of Z3 impacts in power, the voice is more intimate, while in X2 the voice is more zenith and more diluted, it melts more through the whole scene. The separation in X2 is very large, there is almost silence between the details.
In Z3 the details lack the definition, especially in mids, treble feel somewhat filthy. The bass in Z3 have a lot of presence but less depth, they are more boomy.
While in X2 the accuracy in the bass and sub bass zone is high, this zone is very contained and controlled, with a lot of depth. The bass starts and ends in X2, in Z3 it gives a feeling of overlap, they get longer.

I can not say that Z3 gives a bad sound if it is paired with the right headphones, I will never say it, and maybe the punch is its best part. But X2 has a great scene, separation, control, detail ...
and that shows without much effort.

May 19, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #4,805 of 8,152
Thank you for your words @nesty.

I will make the comparison using this song, because I think it has a voice, bass, a lot of definition and detail, as well as clarity and a great scene:

Before I must say that the Z3 due to its large output impedance modifies the frequency response of the headphones we connect.
To understand its effect I recommend, again, reading the following article:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

By this I mean that the Z3 is very dependent on the headphones we use, it may sound good or bad. An example of IEM whose sound for me is very bad with Zishan is the KZ ZS5 due to its low and irregular impedance.
However, with the KZ ZS6 it sounds quite good, it even benefits from the cut in treble that Zishan produces.

In this case I used the KZ ZS10 whose treble is not as sharp as the previous ZS.

The first thing I feel is the density of the music in Z3, while with X2 the music stretches across width and height, generating a larger and more circular scene, not as focused as in Z3.
The density of Z3 impacts in power, the voice is more intimate, while in X2 the voice is more zenith and more diluted, it melts more through the whole scene. The separation in X2 is very large, there is almost silence between the details.
In Z3 the details lack the definition, especially in mids, treble feel somewhat filthy. The bass in Z3 have a lot of presence but less depth, they are more boomy.
While in X2 the accuracy in the bass and sub bass zone is high, this zone is very contained and controlled, with a lot of depth. The bass starts and ends in X2, in Z3 it gives a feeling of overlap, they get longer.

I can not say that Z3 gives a bad sound if it is paired with the right headphones, I will never say it, and maybe the punch is its best part. But X2 has a great scene, separation, control, detail ...
and that shows without much effort.

@cqtek, I am just curious you measured at the headphone out which is the amp stage. But how about measuring at the line out of each daps. Line outputs are connected directly to op amp buffers. I wonder how the results would be. :)

May 20, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #4,806 of 8,152
@cqtek, I am just curious you measured at the headphone out which is the amp stage. But how about measuring at the line out of each daps. Line outputs are connected directly to op amp buffers. I wonder how the results would be. :)

I can measure Line out of Z3, others don't have (F.Audio S1, QNGEE X2).

May 20, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #4,810 of 8,152
Here is the frequency response of Line Out of Zishan Z3:

Z3_Line_Out.png

@cqtek , thanks for the graph I appreciate your help, no roll-off the low frequency but rolls off at high frequency which starts at 10kHz, it seems the biasing components around the lpf op amp alters the high frequency it actually starts the break off point at around 8khz. I think Z1 has better frequency response as it has no external biased lpf, the buffer opamp is built-in within the es9023 sabre dac theoretically since I dont have measuring eqpts like yours. Although I did auditioned them both and to my hearing Z3 is dull in terms of bass and treble due to those roll-off at the amp stage. QNGee X2 looks interesting based on your personal review with its FR drawn.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #4,813 of 8,152
Hello guys,

I'm new in the audio-things, but I love to listen for music. I need your advise on the following topic and hope to get an answer to my questions. So, the thing is that I want to buy a cheap DAP (for ~50-60$). I'm listening a lot of electronic music, especially Nu Disco and Deep House and I want to switch from smartphone to something better. I have AKG Y55 headphones (I got those at a very good price) and I'm kind of basshead)))

So, here are my questions:
a) Do I mandatory need a DAP with dedicated DAC for better listening experience or something with Rockchip NanoD/ATJ2127 will be enough for electronic music?
b) What DAP would you recommend in the mentioned price point? I have seen the following models till now: Dodocool DA106; Ruizu A50HD; BassPlay P3000; F.Audio S1 or should I invest a little more and get something la Xuelin iHiFi780 / Fiio X1-II ? Other good proposal ar accepted too.

Thank you all in advance

May 23, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #4,814 of 8,152
should I invest a little more and get something la Xuelin iHiFi780 / Fiio X1-II ? Other good proposal ar accepted too.

Not sure how much more you can invest but the Cayin N3 is an excellent reliable DAP. I use it more than any of my others.

May 23, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #4,815 of 8,152
Not sure how much more you can invest but the Cayin N3 is an excellent reliable DAP. I use it more than any of my others.

what earphones are you using with the Cayin N3 or what sounds best?

Just got the Bengie K1 from penon this week and have been enjoying that
the form factor is great
also have the QNGEE X2 and ZISHAN Z3 on order from AliEx
looking for to hooking the line out from those two to the VE RA
amusing myself till I get either the crowdfunded AP60Pro or the Hiby R3 which may take a year or more.

Currently only my Fiio X3 gen1/2 have line out and I can also hook my gen5 iPod classic to an amp but my PlenueD and LG V30 don't have line out. I think with UAPP I can connect the V30 to an amp but I like just using is plain with the VE/Faaeal/Willsound earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back