Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 14, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #4,576 of 8,152
I'm new here
  • Last 2 seconds of each song is cut so no gapless play.
  • Also, my piece came with slightly chipped glass at the bottom of the screen (not a huge issue but a bit annoying).

Hi, what kind of files are you playing so that they are cut 2secs at the end? I ordered it too after reading this review:
https://www.ixbt.com/live/syncaine/aigo-z6-pro---obzor-hi-fi-audiopleera-s-vintazhnym-zvukom.html
The reviewer said there are no cuts at all, then he say nothing about gapless play, nor what kind of files he used for test (only a generic "mixed mode")
I am worried a little, as I hate cutting sound... Some album I can merge in one file, as songs are named like part1, part2, part3 etc. and album is not long (for example Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene)
but others I prefer leave track separate with their own titles.
I have another DAP model Xunsound XS01 that cuts WAV and FLAC compressed level 4 to 8 but FLAC level 0 and Mp3 files (any bitrate) are not cutted at all (this player dismissed because of annoying ticking noise with some sounds, otherwise it sounds very good)

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4,577 of 8,152
I think people would be talking more about the Z3 if they didn’t shut the Z2 thread down. Personally, I like it a lot. I changed the caps in it and now it’s got a better bottom end and a more clarity than the stock. I also think this may be a reason why people are not so enthusiastic about the Z3, because I didn’t sound as good as the Z2 imo. But now, I think it stands head to head running the Burson V5i and changed caps. Screen is a big plus and the song cut off is nearly nonexistent.

I have one and find it so-so. A big minus for me is, that it does not play WMA files.
It has no library functions, only folder play - it comes down to personal preference if that is a minus.
The combined buttons are definitely a minus for me: the Z3 does not have separate volume buttons, which means that the up and down buttons combine volume and scrolling, dependant where you come from in the menu. You get used to it after some time but if you have multiple players you have to do the control consiously instead of routine.
Overall i is good value for money because the price is low.
There is a similar model with bluetooth for a few bucks more.

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #4,578 of 8,152
I believe that between songs still being cut off and lack of gapless playback are the reasons it doesn't get more Head-fi love. I know that was enough for me to look elsewhere and I was really interested in the chance to try different opamps in it.
I hate song cut-off! I hate it hate it hate it! The Z3 is like 1/10 the time it cuts off for just a split second. Better than the previous version, for sure. Being able to find your music...very nice compared to the previous ones.
Oh, and the other thing that it has that the previous ones don't....a very usable EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #4,579 of 8,152
Hi, what kind of files are you playing so that they are cut 2secs at the end? I ordered it too after reading this review:
https://www.ixbt.com/live/syncaine/aigo-z6-pro---obzor-hi-fi-audiopleera-s-vintazhnym-zvukom.html
The reviewer said there are no cuts at all, then he say nothing about gapless play, nor what kind of files he used for test (only a generic "mixed mode")
I am worried a little, as I hate cutting sound... Some album I can merge in one file, as songs are named like part1, part2, part3 etc. and album is not long (for example Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene)
but others I prefer leave track separate with their own titles.
I have another DAP model Xunsound XS01 that cuts WAV and FLAC compressed level 4 to 8 but FLAC level 0 and Mp3 files (any bitrate) are not cutted at all (this player dismissed because of annoying ticking noise with some sounds, otherwise it sounds very good)

Sorry, I may be mixing the 2 things (gapless and cutting end).
I tried the beginning of last Gorillaz album where short intro goes straight into the first song (2nd track) and Z6Pro has a hard stop for about second or two before the second track starts playing (for FLAC and MP3).
I guess this would qualify as no gapless play.

I confused it with the cutting end of the song as I was looking at the timer which seems to always stop ~2 seconds before the end of the track but I can see the same happening when I play on my phone (although there sound moves smoothly to next track).

@mbwilson111 & @bsoplinger - thank you for the tips, I will look into this!

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #4,580 of 8,152
I tried the beginning of last Gorillaz album where short intro goes straight into the first song (2nd track) and Z6Pro has a hard stop for about second or two before the second track starts playing (for FLAC and MP3).

Yes, with gapless play that intro will go straight into the first song (2nd track). If an album requires gapless play and the DAP does not have the option, that album would not be enjoyable to me. If an album is comprised of separate songs then it does not matter so much because there is already a small gap between the songs. That will still be there with gapless play because it belongs there. Also, if someone only uses shuffle play, gapless is not needed (but I would still use it if it is available so the time between songs would be shorter).

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #4,581 of 8,152
Sorry, I may be mixing the 2 things (gapless and cutting end).

I confused it with the cutting end of the song as I was looking at the timer which seems to always stop ~2 seconds before the end of the track but I can see the same happening when I play on my phone (although there sound moves smoothly to next track).

@mbwilson111 & @bsoplinger - thank you for the tips, I will look into this!
Ok, so z6pro no have gapless but no cuts. This Gorillaz album would require gapless so the effect is like listen to CD, pause one second and play again.
In case of non-gapless album the result is an about 1 second longer waiting for next song start comparing to CD, what I HATE is when song starts (or ends) cutted by half second or more, regarding songs that start/end "suddenly" so they miss the first and/or the last beat! This is really hateful... I would prefer my hissing old cassette walkman instead!!! (if phones were not able to play music...)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #4,582 of 8,152
Ok, so z6pro no have gapless but no cuts. This Gorillaz album would require gapless so the effect is like listen to CD, pause one second and play again.
In case of non-gapless album the result is an about 1 second longer waiting for next song start comparing to CD, what I HATE is when song starts (or ends) cutted by half second or more, regarding songs that start/end "suddenly" so they miss the first and/or the last beat! This is really hateful... I would prefer my old cassette walkman hissing, missing some highs instead!!! (if phones were not able to play music...)
I've been playing around with a number of inexpensive players from $20 to over $100 some of which don't have gapless playback. The ones I can live with have short silent pauses. The worst which luckily was improved with a firmware update made a loud obnoxious sound, a short spike of seemingly random noise, between tracks. With some content those with silence wouldn't be too bad. Say a calm chamber music piece. A bit of a silent pause between movements wouldn't ruin things. Then I imagine anything that's loud and complex from a large symphonic work to rock albums that have no pause between tracks. I shudder at how much less enjoyable Dark Side of the Moon would be to have a pause that doesn't belong between the jingle of the cash register and that first strum of the guitar chord. But that would pale to hearing the cash register then the guitar starting a few chords in.

Silent gapless if short can be lived with but missing bits, never!

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #4,583 of 8,152
I got a walnut v2, zishan z1 and i have a budget of about 90 dollars , i want to be able to change amps, i listen to mainly hip hop and old rock(pink floyd, black sabbath,etc) my whife likes classical ( bach,beethoven,etc) i plan on getting 2 players, at 90 each thats 180 total budget, money is difficult to make so thats it. What can you guys recomend?

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #4,585 of 8,152
I got a walnut v2, zishan z1 and i have a budget of about 90 dollars , i want to be able to change amps, i listen to mainly hip hop and old rock(pink floyd, black sabbath,etc) my whife likes classical ( bach,beethoven,etc) i plan on getting 2 players, at 90 each thats 180 total budget, money is difficult to make so thats it. What can you guys recomend?

i just received burson v5i and can't recommend enough. delicious and impactful bass and a little rolled off highs. currently using it with zishan z2.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #4,586 of 8,152
I guess I will share this....fall on it by chance. Not a big fan of Colorfly C3, but at the time I pay 80$....at 23$ this is another story and a no brainer.
https://www.tomtop.com/fr/p-v3959.html

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #4,588 of 8,152
Here's another one of these (fake?) Philips DAP on Ali. Looks nice but too pricey ($210!!!).
TB1R24yauySBuNjy1zdXXXPxFXa_!!0-item_pic.jpg_300x300.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Phi...pm=2114.10010108.1000015.2.26523500j2MKVS&s=p

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #4,589 of 8,152
I've been wanting to buy a cheap DAP, 20$ or so. Other than the usual Benjie S5 and Ruizu models, does anyone else have a model they suggest? I might try and review it after, plus a decent battery life is a plus (but SQ > battery life)
Been using my cheap Hommie J2 , 8gb Inc memory, and if got a full 16gb card in.....All sounding and working fine..Amazon UK £24

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #4,590 of 8,152
71BT9eiFRKL._SY450_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back