Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #4,606 of 8,123
I think people would be talking more about the Z3 if they didn’t shut the Z2 thread down. Personally, I like it a lot. I changed the caps in it and now it’s got a better bottom end and a more clarity than the stock. I also think this may be a reason why people are not so enthusiastic about the Z3, because I didn’t sound as good as the Z2 imo. But now, I think it stands head to head running the Burson V5i and changed caps. Screen is a big plus and the song cut off is nearly nonexistent.
Oh, the Z2 sound is better? I guess it makes sense, since the body is bigger? I'd rather have the Z3 form factor.

I have a LME49720HA installed in mine, I'm assuming your Burson would be much better but it's double the price of the opamp I bought. It sounds good enough.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #4,607 of 8,123
Oh, the Z2 sound is better? I guess it makes sense, since the body is bigger? I'd rather have the Z3 form factor.

I have a LME49720HA installed in mine, I'm assuming your Burson would be much better but it's double the price of the opamp I bought. It sounds good enough.
The LME49720HA is a fine sounding opamp and is very good, even in comparison to the Burson. There is just a different emphasis to both. Burson has it's own sound, that doesn't quite sound like the other opamps, while the LME49720HA sounds like the best of the "less expensive" ones.
I also like the form factor of the Z3 vs. Z2 (and screen, EQ, etc.) and find I use that one all the time. My Z2 has been relegated to little use.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #4,608 of 8,123
The LME49720HA is a fine sounding opamp and is very good, even in comparison to the Burson. There is just a different emphasis to both. Burson has it's own sound, that doesn't quite sound like the other opamps, while the LME49720HA sounds like the best of the "less expensive" ones.
I also like the form factor of the Z3 vs. Z2 (and screen, EQ, etc.) and find I use that one all the time. My Z2 has been relegated to little use.
I think I read one review that stated the Burson didn't do much for them, actually I've heard that a few times on this forum say it does.

A lot people like the HA. I paid about $25 for mine. The Burson is around $50 more in my Country. The Z3 itself, it's like $68. So the Burson would be more than buying a Z3, it better sound good for that price. For about $100 you can get a Z3 with an HA or a Burson and Z3 would be about $145. I guess it depends on how much you wanna spend...

With that being said, do you think most frugal listeners should stick to the LME49720HA? I've heard that opamp is about 80% of the Burson, and it's $50 less...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #4,609 of 8,123
Opus #1s is more of a Korean DAP than of a Chinese one, but still, might be quite interesting to people looking at a very strong DAP at 400$ :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/03/opus-1s-vivid-dynamic-strong.html

Audiophile_Heaven_TheBit_Opus_%25231s_1s_review_83.jpg

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #4,610 of 8,123
Just purchased. Hoping it really does have gapless and the battery is as good as claimed *fingers crossed*.
FullSizeRender.jpg
A negative review of this player has appeared recently on AliExpress (Google translation from Spanish)

“the player does not have everything it offers, it is made of plastic, it only comes with 4 languages, it does not include Spanish, it does not have an equalizer.”

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #4,611 of 8,123
Opus #1s is more of a Korean DAP than of a Chinese one, but still, might be quite interesting to people looking at a very strong DAP at 400$ :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/03/opus-1s-vivid-dynamic-strong.html

Audiophile_Heaven_TheBit_Opus_%25231s_1s_review_83.jpg

Just recently purchased the Opus #1s and it is a fantastic DAP for sound quality, I mean really really good. It doesnt have all the features of some others but does have dual Card slots and will do random or playlists across both cards and the internal 32gb memory. Biggest downside is no wifi so no streaming tidal etc.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #4,612 of 8,123
Just recently purchased the Opus #1s and it is a fantastic DAP for sound quality, I mean really really good. It doesnt have all the features of some others but does have dual Card slots and will do random or playlists across both cards and the internal 32gb memory. Biggest downside is no wifi so no streaming tidal etc.

I actually made a little less emphasis on what it lacks and tried to highlight what it does have as I think that it never tried to have Wifi, it is one of the things you start from, it doesn't have wifi or BT, but it has most of its money invested in that sound and the overall device :)

Also, it is extremely stable FW wise.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #4,613 of 8,123
A negative review of this player has appeared recently on AliExpress (Google translation from Spanish)

“the player does not have everything it offers, it is made of plastic, it only comes with 4 languages, it does not include Spanish, it does not have an equalizer.”

It looks like only the coloured rim is metal, not the entire thing, I don't speak Spanish and have no care for an EQ so not all bad news.

I bought it on the 4th, it allegedly left China on a plane on the 13th and just this afternoon touched down here in the UK so hopefully in a few days I'll get my hands on it. I don't understand how it's taken so long in transit.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #4,614 of 8,123
I actually made a little less emphasis on what it lacks and tried to highlight what it does have as I think that it never tried to have Wifi, it is one of the things you start from, it doesn't have wifi or BT, but it has most of its money invested in that sound and the overall device :)

Also, it is extremely stable FW wise.

I'm with you, which is why I bought the #1s. The things I look for, it does extremely well. Head-fi seems to be split into two camps, those of us that listen using downloaded files on micro-sd and don't use wifi or bluetooth, and in the other camp, those who stream from various sources and or use wifi/BT to control the device with something like Hiby.

For those of us that do our listening using downloaded music, the Opus #1s is hard to beat, For those in the other camp, the Shanling M3s, Cayin N5ii, or Fiio X5iii may be more up their alley.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #4,615 of 8,123
I'm with you, which is why I bought the #1s. The things I look for, it does extremely well. Head-fi seems to be split into two camps, those of us that listen using downloaded files on micro-sd and don't use wifi or bluetooth, and in the other camp, those who stream from various sources and or use wifi/BT to control the device with something like Hiby.

I hadn't thought about it that way before, but it makes a ton of sense now that I've read the words. I used to be one of the downloaded file camp, but I discovered that there's a limited amount of music which I listen to repeatedly, the rest I like to stream. I just hadn't thought of it that way before. Though I would say thank for - what is to me - an astute observation.

Changing topic, has anyone had any experience with the YinLvMei A1 or D1 players? I'm tempted by the D1, but the A1 looks like it could be a great value - if it works. But I suspect that there's going to be a ton of firmware issues on the A1 that will be absent from the D1.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #4,616 of 8,123
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #4,620 of 8,123
Hey all,

I'm looking for a DAP no more expensive than $125 CAD with a solid battery life (>=15 hours), no scroll wheel, refined (non-buggy) firmware, that boasts a neutral, airy sound, the capability to play DSD 64/128 files (not necessary tho since 90% of my library is FLAC and I'm still iffy about whether or not I can actually hear a difference with such grand formats) and also comes bundled with a proprietary case/has a proprietary case available for separate purchase (I'm an unresponsible teenager who drops his gadgets more often than he'd like >_<).

With the AliExpress sale cutting down the price of the Aigo Moonlight Z6 from one seller to about $120 CAD, I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on it, as it seems to tick all of the boxes I mentioned above (not to mention that its menu navigation is not done using physical buttons; my weird self prefers capacitive touch buttons lol). Does anyone here think it's still worth a buy even though it's been out for a while now (heck it even has a pro model which I can't afford atm even with the sale) and are there any alternatives that I should look at (the Hidizs AP60 II/Pro seem like good ones, though I missed the Massdrop drop for the latter)? I plan to pair the player primarily with my Tin Audio T2 IEMs and Superlux HD668b headphones.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back