Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,021 of 8,127
Received the moonlight Z6 Pro DAP today. Gotta say out of the box, sounds extremely good and slightly more musical than my LGV20 with better seperation and dynamics. However overall UI seems to have let me down :frowning2: There is a pop when changing tracks, album art cant be displayed, setting a playlist for my tracks have to be done by single track to track. But then UI is quick and easy to navigate so mehh? I hope they constantly update the firmware. Also funny thing is when I play DSD songs, the left and right channels suddenly swap while normals flac and mp3 files are perfectly normal.

Well, this one intrigue me since alot of time, it use same DAC than the Xduoo X3 (cirrus CS4398).....did it have a DAC fonction???

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #4,023 of 8,127
Received the moonlight Z6 Pro DAP today. Gotta say out of the box, sounds extremely good and slightly more musical than my LGV20 with better seperation and dynamics. However overall UI seems to have let me down :frowning2: There is a pop when changing tracks, album art cant be displayed, setting a playlist for my tracks have to be done by single track to track. But then UI is quick and easy to navigate so mehh? I hope they constantly update the firmware. Also funny thing is when I play DSD songs, the left and right channels suddenly swap while normals flac and mp3 files are perfectly normal.
Can you comment on its soundstage and driving power compared to v20?

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,024 of 8,127
Some pics of FAUDIO FA1 AK4497DAC DAP. Look like there only one displeased owner, and he did not share any constructive toughs so....The VIBE IS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
25660181_1686435834709894_6659238339257804128_n.jpg 26060197_1687410511279093_2957144162869999097_o.jpg 26116013_1687410451279099_5916201465735244709_o.jpg 26116170_1687410457945765_7935499609852482678_o.jpg

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #4,025 of 8,127
A full 200 GB card holds about 4000 songs for me... just normal flac

If you do the math on the 15k limit, if each song is 3 minutes (short track) and you have 15,000 of them, that equates to 45,000 minutes or 31.25 days worth of music if you were to listen 24/7. If we use a more realistic 8 hours per day, that means you could listen for 3 months and never hear the same track twice. At some point, it might as well be limitless as the likelihood we hit the limit is so slim as to make it a non-event.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,026 of 8,127
Some pics of FAUDIO FA1 AK4497DAC DAP. Look like there only one displeased owner, and he did not share any constructive toughs so....The VIBE IS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

I have trouble getting excited about something that borrows this much of its aesthetic from a 15 year old i-pod.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #4,027 of 8,127
I have trouble getting excited about something that borrows this much of its aesthetic from a 15 year old i-pod.
Don't give a damn that much about esthetic really, more about whats inside wich is the DAC that can be found in a very beautifull AK Ultima player....at 3500$, perhaps that will get you excited, but I find it ridiculous and wanna try an alternative with the AK4497EQ DAC that is, to be true, the only thing that really get me excited, like hardcore excited. Oh, and the metal body look sturdy too, I just hope UI is good as well.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #4,028 of 8,127
Don't give a damn that much about esthetic really, more about whats inside wich is the DAC that can be found in a very beautifull AK Ultima player....at 3500$, perhaps that will get you excited, but I find it ridiculous and wanna try an alternative with the AK4497EQ DAC that is, to be true, the only thing that really get me excited, like hardcore excited. Oh, and the metal body look sturdy too, I just hope UI is good as well.

I strongly suspect that the metal casing is grounded and serves to lower the noise. This is because I will see electrical sparks when my USB charging cable accidentally touches the metal case. Scary, but no damage done.

Besides incorporating the power-hungry AK4497 DAC chip (I am not sure if the power going in is limited as compared to a desktop implementation), I also give credit to F.Audio for the entire implementation (e.g., secret opamps, generally stable UI, IR remote, black background) to provide a pleasant and enjoyable experience for me.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #4,029 of 8,127
Well, this one intrigue me since alot of time, it use same DAC than the Xduoo X3 (cirrus CS4398).....did it have a DAC fonction???
Thats Z6 which uses CS4398. I got the Z6 Pro which uses ES9018Q2C. Yes it does have a dac function.

Can you comment on its soundstage and driving power compared to v20?
Tbh I feel that many DAPs dont have bigger/wider soundstaging when comparing with each other. (I've listened to AKmk70 II and Shanling M3s and M2s). Soundstage depends more on the headphones IMO. Although I must say the imaging is abit stronger on the Z6 pro than V20. For driving power, out of the headphone out it has quite a lot of juice, a tad more than V20.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #4,030 of 8,127

I understand the interest in the DAC, but;

1. We have long since established that what is around the chip makes as much or more difference than the chip itself. If you think a $250 DAP is going to compete with the A&K, I think you are in for dissappointment.
2. The scroll wheel design is played and better interfaces have been available for quite some time. I think the design limits the UI potential.

That having been said, it may sound quite good in its own right, and who knows, maybe they have come up with a UI that has all the features people want today and works well with the scroll wheel. I think that is a tall order, and most have fallen well short, but it could happen.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #4,031 of 8,127
2. The scroll wheel design is played and better interfaces have been available for quite some time. I think the design limits the UI potential.

This comment caught my eye because I only have one dap with a scroll wheel...the Ruizu A50. I hate the scroll wheel. I especially dislike using it to select. For scrolling through my music I can use the side buttons instead but then I still have to press the scroll wheel at an awkward angle to confirm. I also am forced to use it to pause and play (long press). It is also the only way to change the volume. I don't mind using it for that except that there is no way to disable it when the screen is off. Sometimes the wheel turns a bit when in my pocket and suddenly the sound is too quiet or too loud. I did get the case for it which somewhat protects against that happening... but not always.

I sitll do love my Ruizu though for its tiny size. I just do not put albums on it that require gapless play...as I have mentioned many times...lol.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #4,032 of 8,127
I've had I-pods, Fiio's, Nintaus, Riuzu, and at least a couple others with the scroll wheel design and it has always limited the functionality of the device. Most times in-pocket use is problematic if not impossible, and most times there is too much click once for volume, twice for track forward/back, three times for... where they try and do too much with the wheel and too little with any other form of control on the device. A wheel can be useful, but only to augment other controls in my opinion rather than as the main or sole form of control.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #4,033 of 8,127
My Lotoo Paw 5000 MKII has a scroll wheel and a button in the middle for selecting, doesn't bother me in the least

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #4,034 of 8,127
I'll chime in with my $0.10 (adjusted for inflation :astonished:) and say that I like using a scroll wheel when its done well. Like the iPod where you have scroll and click combined. Just a scroll wheel like on the NiNTAUS X10 makes absolutely no sense since there's pretty much always a selection operation at the end of scrolling. And you can argue that there's an intrinsic selection when scrolling for volume, back light level, etc so that there's always the intrinsic selection.

That said I do like using the scroll wheel on the X10 because it turns well enough with my thumb and the selection button is reachable with my thumb too so its OK. Still I find myself trying to press it every time still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back