Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,006 of 8,143
I am still loving the FA1. It is detailed and musical, and also forgiving. I just got the Sony ZX300; it is more detailed but it is also very critical with regards to the source files. For instance, for my hi-res classical vinyl rips, the cracks and pops show up very distinctly. (Not to say that the ZX300 is bad. In fact, the amp section out of the 4.4mm balanced is the magic.) The FA1, on the other hand, allows me to focus on the music. The IR remote comes in very handy too when controlling the player from my sofa.

I bought the FA1 at retail price, and I am not getting any benefits out of promoting this DAP. I just thought that more people should know about this player that has amazing value!

As for the criticisms, I am not sound engineer but I long suspected that the balanced may not be a true balanced output since the SE output is pretty much similarly in power. The lineout function also seems to be not a true lineout, but rather just fixing the volume at 50%. Nevertheless, it has great sound IMHO.

Happy listening!

OH. Thanks, i give more credit to your impression because it try to explain the sound better than the negative ranting I read on facebook Headfi. This sound like a very beautifull soundsignature to me, because the Ibasso DX90 is already quite bright and analytical, so a more laid back musical sound is very welcome. What about amping section? Can it drive full size headphone of 64ohm??? Like, drive it for real.

Should receive my FA1 in about a week....will share my impressions here for sure.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #4,007 of 8,143
Your mentioning of the FA-1 got me curious. Has anyone looked at their inexpensive DAP? The F.AUDIO S1?
B9scrambler got it....seem to find it quite okay for the price. Need more impressions about that for sure!

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #4,008 of 8,143
A full 200 GB card holds about 4000 songs for me... just normal flac
When I saw @Slater 's comment about 15k limit my initial reaction was is that really a limit? I just looked at about 70 albums I've recently ripped to flac and it was just shy of 30 Gb, about on par with your estimate of 2 albums (I think in terms of album vs songs so am using 10 songs per album) per Gb of storage. Which means about 7.5 Tb of storage for 15k flac albums.

Could it be that folks are still ripping at crazy low bit rates for mp3, like 96k and the like? Otherwise I can't figure out how to get to 15k. :thinking:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #4,009 of 8,143
Quân Lưu What DAP is this?
1f603.png
:D
Gérer
J’aime
Afficher plus de réactions
· Répondre · 21h

Pkp Pothipruk
It is F.Audio FA1, taaaa daaaa. LOL
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 21h

Luan Dee
Does it sound great compared to your other daps or setup?
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 21h · Modifié

Pkp Pothipruk
So far, it is the best. In my opinion (and my ears), it is better than Cayin N3, Fiio X7 mk ii, Cayin N5 ii, Sony ZX100, Sony ZX300. Please note that I have a strange pair of ears where none of IEM will sound good, LOL.
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 21h

Luan Dee
How about compared to the m200+
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 21h

Pkp Pothipruk
I think I love the sound in FA1 a bit more than M200+. Both of them have great soundstage though.
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 21h
Afficher plus de réponses
10398593_67988236580_2642610_n.jpg

Répondre...

Yohanes Tanjung Sarwono
How about the battery life, and curious about this DAP against Yin Lu Mei D200+
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 21h

Pkp Pothipruk
Can't tell yet. Moon Harvester do you know how long can FA1 last in a single charge?
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 21h

Moon Harvester
6-7hours i guess. There is another firmware to improved battery life
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 19h
Afficher plus de réponses

Répondre...

Brian Herrin
How much does that bad boy cost?
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 20h

Pkp Pothipruk
229 USD
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 14h · Modifié

Répondre...

Pkp Pothipruk
Penon Audio and NiceHCK claims that it will last 12 and <10 hours, respectively. @_@
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 18h · Modifié

Pkp Pothipruk
The chinese user guide in the Dap says 12 hours, with 4,200 mAh battery.
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 14h

Répondre...

Moon Harvester
Defective
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 11h

Pkp Pothipruk

Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 11h

Moon Harvester

Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 11h

Répondre...

Gary Griffiths
I would get one but am frightened of it being defective
Gérer
J’aime
· Répondre · 10h

Adi Kuasa
Penon Audio PENON any waranty for this one, pal?
Gérer

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,010 of 8,143
PS: FA1 seconds impressions.....look like perhaps this beast really got a sound out of its price leage because of AK4497 DAC....can't wait to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But im releive, now I read 2 positive impressions and 1 negative:)

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #4,012 of 8,143
OH. Thanks, i give more credit to your impression because it try to explain the sound better than the negative ranting I read on facebook Headfi. This sound like a very beautifull soundsignature to me, because the Ibasso DX90 is already quite bright and analytical, so a more laid back musical sound is very welcome. What about amping section? Can it drive full size headphone of 64ohm??? Like, drive it for real.

Should receive my FA1 in about a week....will share my impressions here for sure.

Currently, I am only using IEMs (and occasionally easy-to-drive earbuds) directly out of the FA1. My better headphone is the HE-560 and that beast needs power; so I didn't even try it with the FA1. I did use the FA1 to feed my desktop amp to drive it, even though it would be considered double-amping. Who cares, when it sounds good? :L3000:

The Yin Lu Mei D200+ is definitely very powerful and will serve well to power most headphones (but not the hard-to-drive ones). In fact, it is too powerful for IEMs that I added the iFi iEMatch to get out of the zone with channel imbalance. The sound is good too, but it has short battery life, a pop sound when changing tracks, and the UI is not stable (occasionally hanging). I can see myself using the D200+ in the office where it will not be frustrating to charge and reset the machine easily.

@Nymphonomaniac, I look forward to your impressions too. Happy listening!

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #4,013 of 8,143

Pkp Pothipruk
So far, it is the best. In my opinion (and my ears), it is better than Cayin N3, Fiio X7 mk ii, Cayin N5 ii, Sony ZX100, Sony ZX300. Please note that I have a strange pair of ears where none of IEM will sound good, LOL.

I would like to comment that the Sony 4.4mm balanced have this special out-of-head soundstage (or headstage) effect. It is more like listening to a 2.0 speaker setup where the sound is coming from outside of the head, akin to real live performances. Most, if not all, other DAPs (FA1 included) do not have this effect. I thought I wouldn't have to spend > USD500 for DAP anymore after discovering a few very nice China DAPs, but the ZX300 made me change my mind.

I would simply say that the ZX300 is different from the FA1, and none is overall better than the other. I am keeping both for sure. :L3000:

I wonder if the person listened to a fully burned-in unit of the ZX300, because it is a beast to burn-in (> 200 hours).

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #4,014 of 8,143
I would like to comment that the Sony 4.4mm balanced have this special out-of-head soundstage (or headstage) effect. It is more like listening to a 2.0 speaker setup where the sound is coming from outside of the head, akin to real live performances. Most, if not all, other DAPs (FA1 included) do not have this effect. I thought I wouldn't have to spend > USD500 for DAP anymore after discovering a few very nice China DAPs, but the ZX300 made me change my mind.

I would simply say that the ZX300 is different from the FA1, and none is overall better than the other. I am keeping both for sure. :L3000:

I wonder if the person listened to a fully burned-in unit of the ZX300, because it is a beast to burn-in (> 200 hours).
I absolutely agree with you on the balanced from the zx300. It's more akin to a 2.1 home setup with some iems. The stage is absolutely spectacular and i am sold on the Sony balanced sound.The bass has a life of its own with some iems and it is very well controlled despite the slam. To be honest it is far superior to some midfi android DAPs.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #4,018 of 8,143
Zishan makes good stuff no doubt, but the support for their only player with screen was pretty bad. The UI is simple, easy to navigate but still has its downfalls (the biggest one is no title scrolling, a thing the developer wrote in the changelog but didnt follow up). The Z1 is also a monster, for the price its actually really good and i think the hidden functions is good enough to let u get by, and a small screen probably wont help in that regard. Still, i guess we shall wait for someone to take another hit to know if its worth it xD

Edit: Source: i own both DSD and Z1

Edit2: Just to clarify myself, the support isnt the worst, but its been ages that we get any updates for it. However the navigation of the DSD is extremely easy to get by, and the developer initially did fixed alot of minor problems to the current state.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #4,019 of 8,143
Received the moonlight Z6 Pro DAP today. Gotta say out of the box, sounds extremely good and slightly more musical than my LGV20 with better seperation and dynamics. However overall UI seems to have let me down :frowning2: There is a pop when changing tracks, album art cant be displayed, setting a playlist for my tracks have to be done by single track to track. But then UI is quick and easy to navigate so mehh? I hope they constantly update the firmware. Also funny thing is when I play DSD songs, the left and right channels suddenly swap while normals flac and mp3 files are perfectly normal.

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #4,020 of 8,143
So I have use for some hours now the Walnut V2S, and i'm impress by the fact its a ALl-in-one device and can imagine it to be very exciting for people that just plan to have 2 DAP, including one that need amping. Sound is okay, large soundstage and a little bright, but the background hissing is kind of a big drawback for me. Anyway, strangely, when used as portable AMP it really have lot of power, when used as DAP its not very powerfull, must of all, volume control is very cheap, don't know if mine its defect but it look like all volume difference is in the first little twist. For 30$ its really an interesting multifonction DAP and i'm excited to swap Opamp and heard how it will change amping sound, hoping to gain some clarity and a more black background.
All in all, the V2S is a real bargain for all the features it include!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back