Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 4, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #6,391 of 8,127
Hello friends. I'm a brazilian fan. I would like to purchase my first DAP and not need to listen to music through the smartphone. I will use it with a good headset. I am a lover of all musical styles.
I would like to suggest a DAP on the same level as the Benjie T6, with bluetooth and an easy to navigate interface. Would you help me? Budget: Up to USD60

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #6,392 of 8,127
I'm looking for a player that can fulfill some simple criteria and make my podcast listening experience not so frustrating:

-A device that has an effective button lock (my current AGPtek device unlocks itself all the time in my pocket, just because of the way I'm sitting or leaning against something)

-A device that picks up where you left off when you shut it down (without having to use bookmarks), and that also remembers where you left off when you're jumping between podcast episodes.

-A device that can fast forward at better than 1minute per second.

Sound quality really doesn't matter to me, as I'm just listing to podcasts. I really just want something cheap that has the aforementioned functions.

So, you want a Sansa Clip from 2007. Yeah, man - me too.

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #6,394 of 8,127
He could also do a Rockboxed iPod Classic

Of course, the problem with both of those options is the age of the hardware. They may be solid options, but they're going to be slower SOCs than current devices, use connection methods that may be clunkier than current state-of-the-art, and have battery life measured in minutes. I really do wish someone would just straight-up copy the Clip or the Rio Karma with modern hardware. Not everyone needs or wants a Wifi-enabled MQA-unfolding $800 device with a 5-inch screen. We do appear to be a segment of the market not being catered to, though.

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #6,395 of 8,127
I miss my original Sansa. That did everything right... except the soldering on the headphone jack was chintzy and broke after a couple years of regular use. Bought another Sasna unit and it broke the same way even faster. I figured if I was going to be going through devices so regularly I might do well to find a cheaper option. The AGPtek (Sansa knock off) I bought is still working... physically it has held up better than my Sansas ever did, but unfortunately interfacing with the device is a complete pain. The worst is that it seems to unlock itself. I would love to have a physical locking switch on the side of the device and not a 3 second button hold on the front. And once it has unlocked itself it does things I can't even replicate if I tried... like jumping to the middle of a completely different podcast episode suddenly. Under different circumstances that is an ability I would love to have, but instead I am stuck with a painfully slow fast forward. Sansas were good in that they had that accelerating fast forward.

It's tough, because on Amazon there's dozens of devices out there that on paper are basically the same as the Sansa, and half the price... but no one in any of the hundreds of reviews ever comments on the interface or the features I'm looking for. And then when you leave a question, the answers you get are completely contradictory to one another. Does it resume playing when you turn the device off and on... one person says yes, another says no. You are basically just rolling the dice. I was hoping someone here knew of a particular, readily available unit that was actually good.

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #6,396 of 8,127
I have the Acmee MF01.
Sound quality is good.
Sound characteristic is....dependent on the iem.
The mid to high transition is quite sharp, so on iem’s or headphones that are DF or Harmon Curve, the overall sound can be too sharp. Especially vocals at 2-3k are too sharp. This happens on most of my IEM’s, including Moondrop A8, Tanchjim O2, KXXS.
But if your iem or headphone is dark, the MF01 can completely transform it. I have a dark set i never use. But after pairing with Mf01, it is one of my favorite combos. Bass is clean and punchy.

Also, they release software updates frequently.
But software has A LOT LOT LOT of issues.
Like half of my music files don’t show up.
WAV files or anything 96khz and up don’t play, and will actually freeze your device.
Device is hot even if not in use, and battery constantly drains, even if music is not playing.
There is severe DC Pop (that “pop” when you plug in and out the jack). This is more likely a hardware issue, and they shouldve added a resistor.

If you have a dark set of iem’s, the MF01 can change your earphones completely.
But for many iem’s, this may be too sharp sounding.
Software is currently no where close to ready for sales. But they release frequent updates. But there is also no guarantee every issue will be finally resolved.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #6,397 of 8,127
Hello friends. I'm a brazilian fan. I would like to purchase my first DAP and not need to listen to music through the smartphone. I will use it with a good headset. I am a lover of all musical styles.
I would like to suggest a DAP on the same level as the Benjie T6, with bluetooth and an easy to navigate interface. Would you help me? Budget: Up to USD60

Man I love my T6/XQ-10 combo, so wished the new X6 had included BT as it sounds very close to my S5 & T6:scream: Come to think of it I've never even tried the BT on my T6:rolling_eyes: LOL

10 6 6 Budge.JPG

Lyle.JPG

Good luck with your search:beerchug:

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #6,398 of 8,127
Hi All, I hate to be that guy that didn't read through the thread, but i'm looking for my first DAP.

I don't have much of a reference point other than some i've seen Here, so hopefully someone is kind enough to give me some feeback.
i'm looking for something that's $150 or below ( I don't mind if it's used or refurbished) supports BT 4.1-5.0, Wifi, Spotify, Aptx, AAC. a good to decent DAC.

Question: If i'm mainly using it for BT, do I need one with a built in amp?
I have a pair of Beyer DT 770's and some Ibasso IT01's but I don't use wired much anymore. Thanks again.

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #6,399 of 8,127
I have the Acmee MF01.
Sound quality is good.
Sound characteristic is....dependent on the iem.
The mid to high transition is quite sharp, so on iem’s or headphones that are DF or Harmon Curve, the overall sound can be too sharp. Especially vocals at 2-3k are too sharp. This happens on most of my IEM’s, including Moondrop A8, Tanchjim O2, KXXS.
But if your iem or headphone is dark, the MF01 can completely transform it. I have a dark set i never use. But after pairing with Mf01, it is one of my favorite combos. Bass is clean and punchy.

Also, they release software updates frequently.
But software has A LOT LOT LOT of issues.
Like half of my music files don’t show up.
WAV files or anything 96khz and up don’t play, and will actually freeze your device.
Device is hot even if not in use, and battery constantly drains, even if music is not playing.
There is severe DC Pop (that “pop” when you plug in and out the jack). This is more likely a hardware issue, and they shouldve added a resistor.

If you have a dark set of iem’s, the MF01 can change your earphones completely.
But for many iem’s, this may be too sharp sounding.
Software is currently no where close to ready for sales. But they release frequent updates. But there is also no guarantee every issue will be finally resolved.
I’ve got One of these Acmee players coming in the mail soon.
Have you tried a different op amp in it yet? I’m still wondering if the Muses 02 is real? What are some of the positives of the UI and what in the firmware do you think needs to be fixed in order for it to be good enough to recommend? Very little information on this player, so your insights would be very valuable to me and others.

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #6,400 of 8,127
I’ve got One of these Acmee players coming in the mail soon.
Have you tried a different op amp in it yet? I’m still wondering if the Muses 02 is real? What are some of the positives of the UI and what in the firmware do you think needs to be fixed in order for it to be good enough to recommend? Very little information on this player, so your insights would be very valuable to me and others.

I haven't bothered to open the back up yet.

Here is the reply from Acmee (they also released a new update yesterday, which fixed the missing files issue).
"Hello, thank you for your love of MF01. 1. MF01 back-stage ear discharge circuit uses Class A circuit, even if it does not play, it is the same power consumption, the same heat, which is the characteristics of Class A circuit. 2. In addition, MF01 only supports first-level folders at present, and will update to support second-level folders in the future."

The UI...it's simple. Think of old fashioned, slim-screen mp3 players. You scroll through folders.
But all of my music files were formatted for Sony ZX300, and the actual file names are funky "(DSF) 1982 - Simon and Garfunkel - The Concert ..."
MF01 displays the folder and file names as it is on your computer. So it can be simple to change how you want the names to appear. But it can also seem like a tedious process if you have to go through and change each folder and file name.
If you like to organize and play songs based on their folder, it can be good.
If you like to organize by Artist or Album or Genre, then it's too bad haha

There's also a "click" noise when you switch to next track (for any file type).

I wonder if they can modify the sound with a software update...make the mid-high transition less sharp.

I'm optimistic because it seems ACMEE is continually working on software updates and responds well to customers.
But there are still many bugs.
Plus, hardware seems to not be ideal (continual draining of battery, DC Pop, heating).

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #6,401 of 8,127
The UI...it's simple. Think of old fashioned, slim-screen mp3 players. You scroll through folders.
But all of my music files were formatted for Sony ZX300, and the actual file names are funky "(DSF) Simon and Garfunkel - The Concert ..."
MF01 displays the folder and file names as it is on your computer. So it can be simple to change how you want the names to appear. But it can also seem like a tedious process if you have to go through and change each folder and file name.
May I suggest a software such as Beyond Compare? I used it to rapidly and massively rename folders and files in my collection. I also used Linux shell scripts to do some stranger things and it worked perfectly well, though maybe that's not as good as an approach if you're not familiar with it.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #6,402 of 8,127
I haven't bothered to open the back up yet.

Here is the reply from Acmee (they also released a new update yesterday, which fixed the missing files issue).
"Hello, thank you for your love of MF01. 1. MF01 back-stage ear discharge circuit uses Class A circuit, even if it does not play, it is the same power consumption, the same heat, which is the characteristics of Class A circuit. 2. In addition, MF01 only supports first-level folders at present, and will update to support second-level folders in the future."

But all of my music files were formatted for Sony ZX300, and the actual file names are funky "(DSF) 1982 - Simon and Garfunkel - The Concert ..."
If you like to organize and play songs based on their folder, it can be good.
If you like to organize by Artist or Album or Genre, then it's too bad haha

There's also a "click" noise when you switch to next track (for any file type).

I wonder if they can modify the sound with a software update...make the mid-high transition less sharp.

I'm optimistic because it seems ACMEE is continually working on software updates and responds well to customers.
But there are still many bugs.
Plus, hardware seems to not be ideal (continual draining of battery, DC Pop, heating).

I have this DAP on the way home because I expected a lot from him. Those of you who have read me around here already know that lately I have no luck with players under $100. At least there is good news that in the future you can read second level folders. With such a small screen and such long names in the folders or files it will be very difficult to navigate.
The problems with the battery seem the same as with the F.Audio XS03, which also works in class A. I just hope it doesn't have a bass deficiency. Although what I read about the emphasis in the middle zone is usually determined by that absence or clear filtering in the lower zone, just like it happens in the XS03 or in the Ziku HD-X10.
But this time I was able to read a review from a very reliable person, who shows respectable graphics and comments about hardware, and I was reassured with his frequency response:

https://www.ixbt.com/live/digs/acmee-mf01-surovyy-muzhskoy-audiopleer.html

But it's still hateful for a DAP to click between songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back