Obscure Chinese DAPs
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #5,221 of 8,122
Thanks! However your reply opened up a few more questions.... the Z3 and DSD have been on my list too, you see, i really like the walnut v2, but I'd like a display of some sort, and even a hold button if possible, (or lock button, to prevent from accidentally pushing buttons in my pocket). I know the S1 doesnt have a lock,b ut have read teh buttons really need to be deliberately pushed so i wouldnt be worried about that.

ANYWAYS, you have experience with the S1, DSD and Z3..... would you suggest one over the other two????

thanks!
Right now I am mainly using the dsd, I like it alot,sounds better, more open, you can change the opamp on it and slightly change the sound a bit, plays cue, the screen is more visible in direct sunlight and navigation seems easier to me. the s1 has very long battery life and better equalizer and there is a Bluetooth version, and is more compact but won't play cue, and isnt as powerful and from time to time on some tracks has some electrical noise in the background, but if you value battery life and want a powerful bass boost then the s1 but if you want to roll amps, use a 2.5 mm balanced phones, or use .cue files then the dsd, I usually use the s1 when I am cycling or going on long trips, the z3 is also really good but I would recommend the s1 over it, and if you don't mind 7-9 hour batter life and have the budget I would recommend the dsd over the other 2

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #5,222 of 8,122
Don't bother. It's $36 on US Amazon so i grabbed one to check it out. The UI is slow, clunky and constantly freezes for no reason. No gapless playback either. It's going back.

Save your money for the H2. It is far and away the best Chi-Fi UI I've ever experienced. Seamless and rock solid. Perfect gapless. Neutral sound, decent power. Regular price is $140 but I grabbed it in sale for $99. I even saw it listed briefly fir $79 and I still kick myself for not picking up a second one.

Opinions on this for £22.50?

high resolution audio (32bit/384kHz)
Native DSD (up to 128 bit/5.6 MHz)
Texas Instruments Burr Brown PCM5102 DAC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIFI-WALKE...8613457&sr=8-1&keywords=hifi+walker+h9&tag=22

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #5,223 of 8,122
Don't bother. It's $36 on US Amazon so i grabbed one to check it out. The UI is slow, clunky and constantly freezes for no reason. No gapless playback either. It's going back.

Save your money for the H2. It is far and away the best Chi-Fi UI I've ever experienced. Seamless and rock solid. Perfect gapless. Neutral sound, decent power. Regular price is $140 but I grabbed it in sale for $99. I even saw it listed briefly fir $79 and I still kick myself for not picking up a second one.

Yep, I'm on the verge of returning mine too. Not only because of the UI, but more importantly because of the sound. It actually sounds great playing standard def 16-bit files, but anything hi-def just sounds unbelievably rubbish. I read a review on Amazon Germany that said the claimed "Burr Brown PCM5102 DAC" is fake and they've just processed the sound to make it sound more trebly, and I would agree with this completely, what a scam for a supposedly "hi-fi" DAP!

As you have the DAP in your possession could I ask a favour? Could you do an A/B test with the same track as a 16-bit 44.1KHz FLAC vs 24-bit-192KHz? I've tried this with several songs and the 16-bit sounds really good but the other is subtly distorted, buzzing, noisy, mainly in the high frequencies. This is most noticeable in tracks with a quiet beginning with high frequencies. Also the EQ doesn't work for hi-def tracks, which shows that something fishy is going on. Can you confirm that yours has the same result? If it's just mine that's faulty then I'd be tempted to exchange for another as the non hi-def sound is actually pretty good to my ears.

Would you say the sound is noticeably better on the H2? If so it probably has a genuine Burr Brown DAC.

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #5,225 of 8,122
20181001_151224.jpg

Has anybody seen this one yet? The size of a credit card Balanced, notice the headphone jacks are not china's 3ohm+ Crap. Dual Input Bridged to Dual Output for mix matching 8 pin dips...

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #5,228 of 8,122

Has anybody seen this one yet? The size of a credit card Balanced, notice the headphone jacks are not china's 3ohm+ Crap. Dual Input Bridged to Dual Output for mix matching 8 pin dips...
Very interesting! What is it and whats the price?

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #5,230 of 8,122

So this was given to me as a gift by somebody, I don't know if it is available for purchase on the web? Hey, but its got ah one of ah kind circuit in it though!

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #5,231 of 8,122
So this was given to me as a gift by somebody, I don't know if it is available for purchase on the web? Hey, but its got ah one of ah kind circuit in it though!
Please ask from guy who did it (if he did it) where to get one?

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #5,232 of 8,122
Don't know if you can call Luxury & Precision an "obscure" :wink: We used to have separate threads for L5/L5Pro, L3/L3Pro, but nothing for L6 or L4. I wouldn't call L&P "obscure", but I still consider it a boutique brand. Just had a chance to review their L6 flagship, if anybody is interested here. Enjoy the read!

l&p_l6-13.jpg

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #5,233 of 8,122
For sure FiiO isn't obscure, but I think that priced at 200 USD right now, M7 makes a very compelling option for music lovers everywhere :)

My review on FiiO M7 is live now!

Pretty lovely little DAP, and with the official price being around 200 USD at this moment, I think it does a great job for the money! Of course, it has a lot of comeptition, but this is something I explore more in-depth in the full review :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/10/fiio-m7-versatile-in-bluetooth.html

FiiO-M7-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-40.jpg

FiiO-M7-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-21.jpg

FiiO-M7-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-29.jpg

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #5,235 of 8,122
so i was dissing my zishan z3 on here because the eq distorts, but maybe i dont know how to equalize for bass. bc i tried it again after i read something about how to do it, and it sounded fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back