Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #3,601 of 7,478
The eagle has landed.

IMG_3136.jpg

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #3,602 of 7,478
Preliminary photo. Odyssey handled the EL156 with aplomb. There was an initial wavering of the meter needle as the auto bias finds it's mark. Eventually settle at ~ 45 mA. Will be back later with impressions but suffice to say that it's a very tight and defined tone. One that I was hoping for. Could live up to it's reputation of being akin to a 300b tube and double of the EL34. Mains transformer is much cooler after several minutes. Just as Tomas told me that using EL156 will actually be cooler on the amp.

IMG_3139.jpg

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #3,603 of 7,478
@bcowen a final word on the Footscray Brimar which you said the guys on the Schiit Monjir thread said was special. It will now be occupying the socket that the Philips had for the last several years. I was afraid the power and fullness of tone would mean that I wouldn't get the treble that I like so much normally. Well the treble on the Brimar is excellent, but the thing that persuaded me to abandon the Philips after all this time was the sheer depth of tone, clarity and timbre of instruments, especially drums but everything else as well which all adds up to something special indeed. The realism is quite something, and the soundstage too. For my baby amp, despite needing the gain of the 12AX7 the Brimar provides all the power I need for this amp so the Brimar is a keeper for me.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #3,604 of 7,478
3 days from one month's ownership of Odyssey, I discovered what I consider to be the best sounding power tube. There is no other. It's better than the 300b next to it. Certainly better than the KT88 or EL34 or EL39 or EL12 spez. Linear and tight, lushness of the 300b and a huge holographic presentation. Treble and attack better than KT88. I can hear instruments clearly and with precision. Vocals are rendered beautifully. It's amazing Odyssey can accommodate the Telefunken EL156 and make it perform so well. The love I have for this amp knows no end and once again thanks Tomas !

IMG_3141.jpg

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,605 of 7,478
3 days from one month's ownership of Odyssey, I discovered what I consider to be the best sounding power tube. There is no other. It's better than the 300b next to it. Certainly better than the KT88 or EL34 or EL39 or EL12 spez. Linear and tight, lushness of the 300b and a huge holographic presentation. Treble and attack better than KT88. I can hear instruments clearly and with precision. Vocals are rendered beautifully. It's amazing Odyssey can accommodate the Telefunken EL156 and make it perform so well. The love I have for this amp knows no end and once again thanks Tomas !

IMG_3141.jpg
Interesting!!! My Glenn 6EL3N amp uses EL34/KT66/77/88 for output, so in theory I could try those EL156 tubes, too... hmmm..... :thinking:

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #3,606 of 7,478
@bcowen a final word on the Footscray Brimar which you said the guys on the Schiit Monjir thread said was special. It will now be occupying the socket that the Philips had for the last several years. I was afraid the power and fullness of tone would mean that I wouldn't get the treble that I like so much normally. Well the treble on the Brimar is excellent, but the thing that persuaded me to abandon the Philips after all this time was the sheer depth of tone, clarity and timbre of instruments, especially drums but everything else as well which all adds up to something special indeed. The realism is quite something, and the soundstage too. For my baby amp, despite needing the gain of the 12AX7 the Brimar provides all the power I need for this amp so the Brimar is a keeper for me.
Cool! I think it's the tone and timbre you note that I find most alluring....without sacrificing bass power and/or treble detail in the process. I've found some Brimars to be lightweight in the bass and more focused on the mids and treble, but not these.

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #3,608 of 7,478
Probably but check with Glenn first. EL156 is 1.9a each.
That amp supports 2 x EL3N tubes for output. That is 2 x 0.9A = 1.8A so pretty close!
In fact, each channel has a "budget" of 3.1A - so EL3N driver + EL156 output = 0.9A + 1.9A = 2.8A total :)
I am wondering whether EL156 and KT88 are "compatible" other than pins/base (adapter fixes that) and power (my amp can accommodate the added power)...
In other words, can EL156 be used in any KT88 amp with the adapter (assuming power budget is there)? No special / fancy design tricks by Tomas?

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,609 of 7,478
I am wondering whether EL156 and KT88 are "compatible"

Pretty much but don't quote me if your amp blows up. :ksc75smile: Google it. Someone said...

' The EL156 is more similar to a EL34 than a KT88. Think of the EL156 as an EL34 on steroids. ONE EL156 is roughly equal to two EL34s'.

and..

'This tube is pin compatible with KT88 and "can" replace KT88 but it has higher plate dissipation, hence gives more power.
It was first made by Telefunken as a substitute for KT88, now you buy it from China.
Just like KT88 you can wire it as KT88 in triode mode however it will give you more power'.

I should let Tomas explain here because I consult him. :)

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #3,610 of 7,478
don't quote me if your amp blows up.
I did send an email to Glenn, just to be on the safe side, but since he has been MIA for quite some time - not too optimistic about hearing back from him :frowning2:
(I hope he's doing OK...)

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #3,612 of 7,478
Not much is written about the EL156 but JACMUSIC call it the crown.
http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm

To my ears, there's a certain crispness and a very powerful sound force. Underlying that is the smoothness of the EL34. A sound signature that is totally agreeable to me.
In the KT88 family, Jacmusic votes for the Russian GU-50/ГУ-50. This tube has its own pinout , uses 12V and draws 0.8A. And it is very inexpensive - you can find them for less than $5 each + shipping.
BTW, the GU-50 was based on (or cloned from?) another Telefunken tube - the LS50.
The GU50 has Zirconium and Barium getters for as total of 4 getters. It is extremely resistant to heat and can be run red hot. 40W continous operation, 55W peak. The metal base is so strong that Jacmusic claims it can be used as a hammer! He claims that the GU50 can be substituted for a 300B tube with certain caveats.
https://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/ARTICLES/English/Portraits/GM50/index-GM50-Portraits.html
Go down almost halfway on this page to find more information about the GU50:
http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/pentodes.html

I want a GU50 amp...

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,613 of 7,478
In the KT88 family, Jacmusic votes for the Russian GU-50/ГУ-50. This tube has its own pinout , uses 12V and draws 0.8A. And it is very inexpensive - you can find them for less than $5 each + shipping.
BTW, the GU-50 was based on (or cloned from?) another Telefunken tube - the LS50.
The GU50 has Zirconium and Barium getters for as total of 4 getters. It is extremely resistant to heat and can be run red hot. 40W continous operation, 55W peak. The metal base is so strong that Jacmusic claims it can be used as a hammer! He claims that the GU50 can be substituted for a 300B tube with certain caveats.
https://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/ARTICLES/English/Portraits/GM50/index-GM50-Portraits.html

I want a GU50 amp...
….twin mono?…

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #3,614 of 7,478

I want a GU50 amp...

You can have a GU50 amp but I prefer one with more versatility like Odyssey. :) @hpamdr uses GU50 on his Eternity. Has to be with an adapter.

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #3,615 of 7,478
….twin mono?…
The implementation I have to leave for the amp designers - not familiar with those things.
I am kind of allergic to more adapters though. The GU-50 has eight pins but no guide pin (there is a ridge on the glass for orientation) and it is possible to insert it the wrong way.
There is actually a GEC tube with an anode cap that may be similar - the TT22. And it exists as a 6V version as well - the TT21. But not $5 territory...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back