Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #3,571 of 7,484
Power has been out for several hours. Estimate from the utility is it will be another 6 hours before it’s restored. Now I gotta go get gas for the generator. Pesky first-world problems. :tired_face:
Sounds like one for Sonic, a gas powered amp, very old school LOL :relaxed:.

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #3,572 of 7,484
Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base has arrived and I have several hours of listening. Can't believe 1956 tubes preserving so well and the tone is exquisite. All that I dream possible for Odyssey is here. Such smoothness and rich tone.:)

IMG_3120.jpg

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #3,574 of 7,484
Sep 6, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #3,575 of 7,484
Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base has arrived and I have several hours of listening. Can't believe 1956 tubes preserving so well and the tone is exquisite. All that I dream possible for Odyssey is here. Such smoothness and rich tone.:)

IMG_3120.jpg
Hmmm what tubes can we put up front that also have a metal base?

Very strange that there were a number of power failures across the world yesterday. Our power was out for an hour yesterday as well. I was using the Dremmel to clean tube pins and I had to go back to the old fashioned way.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,576 of 7,484

Very strange that there were a number of power failures across the world yesterday. Our power was out for an hour yesterday as well. I was using the Dremmel to clean tube pins and I had to go back to the old fashioned way.
Mine was out for about 9 hours. The text from the utility stated it was "object in contact with the line." What was really weird was that my next door neighbors on one side were out but the ones on the other side still had power (as did the rest of the street as far as I could see). All our lines in the neighborhood are underground and I didn't see any utility guys working on anything nearby, so the issue had to occur at some distance away which makes it strange that only a few houses in the middle of others were affected. And of course the minute I pulled back in the driveway with a full gas can is when the power came back on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,578 of 7,484

I could use a Melz 6SL7 or 6SN7 metal base but I don't think there is a metal base EL11. :ksc75smile:

I think the martians have landed. That's why we are getting power failures globally. I was without power for an agonising 30 mins just as I was getting into the groove with the metal plates !

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #3,579 of 7,484
I could use a Melz 6SL7 or 6SN7 metal base but I don't think there is a metal base EL11. :ksc75smile:

I think the martians have landed. That's why we are getting power failures globally. I was without power for an agonising 30 mins just as I was getting into the groove with the metal plates !
Very strange. I'd just put in a metal base Mullard 6080 when mine went out. If we did this simultaneously, perhaps we unwittingly caused a shift in earth's magnetic field? Are you still down under, or suddenly up top? :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #3,580 of 7,484
Very strange. I'd just put in a metal base Mullard 6080 when mine went out. If we did this simultaneously, perhaps we unwittingly caused a shift in earth's magnetic field? Are you still down under, or suddenly up top? :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:
And are Philips EGCs now holy grails?…

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #3,581 of 7,484
And are Philips EGCs now holy grails?…
That would only happen if the moon is destroyed and the lack of gravitational pull causes the earth to start wobbling on its axis. That would suck. :smile:

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #3,582 of 7,484
Can't believe 1956 tubes preserving so well and the tone is exquisite

I always found that the older the tube, the better. I really don't know why. It goes against rational. Its as if technology was different and superior , and we went downhill (generally) in tube sound.

Isn't it almost bewildering how such old tech can give such indescribable experience.
The tube makers must have had special insight into the material composition they used in those tubes.

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #3,583 of 7,484
I always found that the older the tube, the better. I really don't know why. It goes against rational. Its as if technology was different and superior , and we went downhill (generally) in tube sound.

Isn't it almost bewildering how such old tech can give such indescribable experience.
The tube makers must have had special insight into the material composition they used in those tubes.

I always wondered what they used in the tubes back then that they can no longer use due to it’s harmful nature…gotta go find that Geiger counter...

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #3,584 of 7,484

I think as tube manufacture progresses from whence it started, cost cutting comes in to maximise profit. Current production Mullard EL34 ain't too shabby. I've heard it once on loan from a friend but these NOS variety are clearly more refined in tone.

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #3,585 of 7,484

Users who are viewing this thread

Back