Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,631 of 7,478
Ok.... at least I'm not delusional. :ksc75smile: :beyersmile: :L3000::darthsmile:

May I ask ... even if you've just got it... what headphone were you using with Oblivion and what dac. It's useful for me to know what is your system setup and I know you have some nice gear.
Currently with Chord TT2 and Diana Phi.

Perhaps I just got so hyped up about the arrival, but for now I think Oblivion throne Formula S as my most favourite amp for Diana Phi. Need to check with side by side comparison later. Two things for sure, Tomas amp project bigger and more holographic soundstage with more fluid presentation for each notes of instrument than Formula S.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #3,632 of 7,478
That's good. Everyone knows that Formula S is good with Abyss and your statement is quite telling there. Initial impressions are important because it's what you hear on first listen. I'll let you spend more time with Oblivion then you can tell us more.

Unfortunately not many people have sample Oblivion yet but I've always been right about it's tone. I sold off GOTL and Studio Six but kept Oblivion. That's how I feel about it.

Sep 10, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #3,633 of 7,478
That's good. Everyone knows that Formula S is good with Abyss and your statement is quite telling there. Initial impressions are important because it's what you hear on first listen. I'll let you spend more time with Oblivion then you can tell us more.

Unfortunately not many people have sample Oblivion yet but I've always been right about it's tone. I sold off GOTL and Studio Six but kept Oblivion. That's how I feel about it.

The "problem" with Formula S is it can't keep up with the transient flow of TT2, the result is sound become less fluid and effortless, thus for me become less "lifelike". That is why in the end I stay with direct from Chord. I'm fully aware that this problem is exist in my personal taste, as Formula S is about being flat and neutral.

Oblivion able to amplified the fluidity with more bottom end compare to HO on TT2.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,634 of 7,478
If it's a cathode biased amp go for it. As long as you have enough A on the heater winding the amp will run cooler with EL156 than KT88 with the same cathode resistor and the EL156 can handle the high voltage.

If it's a grid (fixed) bias amp you shouldn't use any other tube than stock.
Hmmm... good question!
I do not know the answer, but I DO know that Glenn has told me I can use without any issues: EL34, KT-61/63/66/77/88, 6550 and KT-120.
So... my educated guess is that the EL156 is safe (with the adapter).
Glenn has been MIA for a long while... I did send him an email yesterday so maybe will get a reply at some point.
To be 100% honest, I have so many tubes for this amp that I will not be heartbroken if I cannot use the EL156 :wink:

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,635 of 7,478
The "problem" with Formula S is it can't keep up with the transient flow of TT2, the result is sound become less fluid and effortless, thus for me become less "lifelike". That is why in the end I stay with direct from Chord. I'm fully aware that this problem is exist in my personal taste, as Formula S is about being flat and neutral.

Oblivion able to amplified the fluidity with more bottom end compare to HO on TT2.

It's all about personal taste but it's easy to love tube amp. :) I was at Minidisc for 2 hours on 2 occasions. On the first occasion, the setup Wing had for me was Chord Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD4. After this session, I told myself I need the LCD4 which I eventually got. I also told myself I need an amp like Auris Nirvana. I don't need Qutest because Yggdrasil is indispensable for me. :relaxed:

On the 2nd occasion I was there to audition Susvara and I intend to spend time with it. Wing asked what amp and dac I would like to use. I pointed to Chord Hugo TT2 and M'Scalar and they are in black ! So I listen for a good 45 mins. Very clear, lots of details. Would be great for jazz. However I felt something was missing for me. The tube tone was missing and the 2nd harmonic distortions. So Wing added Auris Nirvana to the chain. That's when I say yeah that's more like my end game but the whole setup is a cool AUD$23,000. :)

Anyway here I am now with Yggdrasil, Odyssey and Oblivion... and LCD4 and He1000se. I'm pretty much done because the sound is as good if not better than Chord Hugo TT2 + M'Scalar + Auris Nirvana + Susvara. I'm done.... but I not quite yet until I add Abyss TC or Susvara to the mix.

Now to get ready to go home and bring most of my gear with me.

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #3,636 of 7,478
It's all about personal taste but it's easy to love tube amp. :) I was at Minidisc for 2 hours on 2 occasions. On the first occasion, the setup Wing had for me was Chord Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD4. After this session, I told myself I need the LCD4 which I eventually got. I also told myself I need an amp like Auris Nirvana. I don't need Qutest because Yggdrasil is indispensable for me. :relaxed:

On the 2nd occasion I was there to audition Susvara and I intend to spend time with it. Wing asked what amp and dac I would like to use. I pointed to Chord Hugo TT2 and M'Scalar and they are in black ! So I listen for a good 45 mins. Very clear, lots of details. Would be great for jazz. However I felt something was missing for me. The tube tone was missing and the 2nd harmonic distortions. So Wing added Auris Nirvana to the chain. That's when I say yeah that's more like my end game but the whole setup is a cool AUD$23,000. :)

Anyway here I am now with Yggdrasil, Odyssey and Oblivion... and LCD4 and He1000se. I'm pretty much done because the sound is as good if not better than Chord Hugo TT2 + M'Scalar + Auris Nirvana + Susvara. I'm done.... but I not quite yet until I add Abyss TC or Susvara to the mix.

Now to get ready to go home and bring most of my gear with me.
It never ends...

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #3,638 of 7,478
Hmmm... good question!
I do not know the answer, but I DO know that Glenn has told me I can use without any issues: EL34, KT-61/63/66/77/88, 6550 and KT-120.
So... my educated guess is that the EL156 is safe (with the adapter).
Glenn has been MIA for a long while... I did send him an email yesterday so maybe will get a reply at some point.
To be 100% honest, I have so many tubes for this amp that I will not be heartbroken if I cannot use the EL156 :wink:

Try it. Try the EL156. My other NOS tubes of EL34, 66, 6550, EL39, EL12 spez are almost too good to be true in Odyssey but EL156 is something else. With a big tube, I expect a bloomy tone but it's not. It's tight, transparent and linear. Fast transients but oh so sweet and dynamic tube tone.

I like it with both 6SL7 or EL11. Using GZ32 now to dial in some warmth.

IMG_3142.jpg

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #3,639 of 7,478
I didn't realise you had these, I thought your mind wasn't made up about trying them? Yes that dynamism and clarity help make the soundstage probably the best I have heard. And I just felt that the realism wasn't quite at the same level with the Philips although they are still great.
I bought a pair due to all the drooling over these in the MJ thread and subsequent FOMO. :smile: Unfortunately they don't work well in my main listening amp (Incubus) due to the 3X gain over its native 6SN7. They work very nicely in the Vali 2 though, and elevate the performance of that amp several rungs up the ladder. Of course putting a $100+ tube in a $150 amp isn't entirely normal, but then neither am I. (but that also wasn't my original intent :sweat_smile:)

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #3,640 of 7,478
Sep 10, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #3,641 of 7,478
I spend so much on tubes for Odyssey but here Oblivion with cheap tubes sound amazing
Blasphemy! How dare you use cheap tubes!
After what I did...
Mullard:
Screenshot_20210910-190300__01.jpg
Mazda & (Mullard drivers):
Screenshot_20210910-192339.jpg

But, then again, these were the most dynamic:
Screenshot_20210910-191359__01.jpg
And cheap!

Yet Tubes performance don't change the glorious nature of this amp.
It stays grand and glorious.

Two things for sure, Tomas amp project bigger and more holographic soundstage with more fluid presentation for eac
VERY few amps lay out soundstage & layering as glorious and precise as this amp.

I been a bad boy...

Screenshot_20210910-191927.jpg

Swapped out first stage caps...

Made it sweeter than a 300b I had on hand to compare to...
Screenshot_20210910-191808.jpg
Even with best Sylvania & Western Electric tubes... No match for the "Oblivion".

I am set.. end game here. It is my reference amp.
Yet that doesn't mean I can only have one. The "Oblivion" has too many siblings here...
😊

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #3,642 of 7,478
Blasphemy! How dare you use cheap tubes!
After what I did...
Mullard:
Screenshot_20210910-190300__01.jpg
Mazda & (Mullard drivers):
Screenshot_20210910-192339.jpg

But, then again, these were the most dynamic:
Screenshot_20210910-191359__01.jpg
And cheap!

Yet Tubes performance don't change the glorious nature of this amp.
It stays grand and glorious.

VERY few amps lay out soundstage & layering as glorious and precise as this amp.

I been a bad boy...

Screenshot_20210910-191927.jpg

Swapped out first stage caps...

Made it sweeter than a 300b I had on hand to compare to...
Screenshot_20210910-191808.jpg
Even with best Sylvania & Western Electric tubes... No match for the "Oblivion".

I am set.. end game here. It is my reference amp.
Yet that doesn't mean I can only have one. The "Oblivion" has too many siblings here...
😊
How does the 300SEI do with headphones? Always wondered that as I can't find any specs for the headphone output.

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #3,644 of 7,478
How does the 300SEI do with headphones? Always wondered that as I can't find any specs for the headphone output.
The headphone out, is simply the output with a resistor network. But some relay is in between.
This unit was modified to bypass that relay circuit, and go straight from transformers to headphones (resistor network).
Actually the output is decent amd average for a speaker amp to headphones.
The Oblivion has more & cleaner output, but that unit is super sweet as it was highly modified with silver coupling caps and best Cathode caps and silver wiring. We talking an amazing level of sonics both units achieve. Top notch. Those 300b Western Electric tubes are no joke seriously die for tube Heaven. For Oblivion to match & eclipse is nothing short of remarkable.

Soundstage is beautiful on that 300i, but I must reiterate, nothing I heard yet beats Oblivion in that area. You might wanna put an EC Studio to battle the Oblivion in that aspect. I remember this unit:
Screenshot_20210911-013558.jpg
The citadel having a large vibrant soundstage as well.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #3,645 of 7,478

Users who are viewing this thread

Back