Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 10, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #3,616 of 7,478
Just heard some GU50 amps on Youtube and they are pretty good. However it's all in the implementations. In Odyssey, I've been amazed by the sound from many power tubes. Sowter transformers contributing no doubt. Lundahl would have been good too.

I just like Tomas tuning. Fast transients, crispy clear highs, engaging mids that is neither recessed or too forward and tight bass with lovely decays. Lush and transparent at the same time. Sweet and liquid. It's almost good enough to be eaten.

I won't touch TT21 and I'll be going with KT88 but at this rate, do I need the GEC KT88? :) Just found a supplier for another pair of EL156. My supplier is sending me another pair of Miniwatt EL34 metal base. :rolling_eyes:

Sep 10, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #3,617 of 7,478
GU50 are very dynamic tubes with deep bass and crispy highs.. Most design are made for speaker amp with standard design and multiple tube per side to have a lot of power running over 300V. It was a targeted tube for my Eternity amplifier with 6/12: heating circuit since the start.
if you use full Russian socket with cage for adapter, you do not have issues to misplace as the glass rail have it's own track. You can also just put a sign on the ceramic in front of the rail to not misplace.
I personally like a lot this tube as it is powerful and pair well with Heedphone using EL11 or NR73 as input. It could be felt dryer than EL34, KT66 ... but to me it is just very precise and as dynamic as dynamite 🧨

About the price it should be warned that you need to get a bunch to match tube pair yourself. And probably why investing in some measurements instrument can be a good idea.

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #3,621 of 7,478
Cool! I think it's the tone and timbre you note that I find most alluring....without sacrificing bass power and/or treble detail in the process. I've found some Brimars to be lightweight in the bass and more focused on the mids and treble, but not these.
I didn't realise you had these, I thought your mind wasn't made up about trying them? Yes that dynamism and clarity help make the soundstage probably the best I have heard. And I just felt that the realism wasn't quite at the same level with the Philips although they are still great.

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #3,622 of 7,478
I always found that the older the tube, the better. I really don't know why. It goes against rational. Its as if technology was different and superior , and we went downhill (generally) in tube sound.

Isn't it almost bewildering how such old tech can give such indescribable experience.
The tube makers must have had special insight into the material composition they used in those tubes.
Yeah right :relaxed:. It is a mystery to me how they did this. One thing that I have noticed the construction seems more substantial, more rigid support rods, getters, and plates, sometimes thicker glass envelopes. Looking at the 1950's Footscray Brimar you can see this. And maybe some mystery angel dust they breathed into the vacuum before sealing the tube 🤤👍.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #3,623 of 7,478
In other words, can EL156 be used in any KT88 amp with the adapter (assuming power budget is there)? No special / fancy design tricks by Tomas?
If it's a cathode biased amp go for it. As long as you have enough A on the heater winding the amp will run cooler with EL156 than KT88 with the same cathode resistor and the EL156 can handle the high voltage.

If it's a grid (fixed) bias amp you shouldn't use any other tube than stock.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #3,624 of 7,478
On the eve of returning to Sydney, I listen to Oblivion one more time. Haven't powered it on for a few weeks. I'm grinning now because I spend so much on tubes for Odyssey but here Oblivion with cheap tubes sound amazing. Odyssey and Oblivion makes good contrast. That's the plan at the beginning. To let the 2 coexist. The drum kicks comes on and I marvel that it sounded so real and with impact from Oblivion.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,628 of 7,478
But it's imposing and grand. It's the sound that gets me on both LCD4 and He1000se.

IMG_2770.jpg

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,629 of 7,478
It is big alright. You would have seen lots of my pictures of Oblivion. Have you got the Oblivion yet?
Yes, the "loaned" unit is here.

To put initial impression in one sentence: This amp is so good that it scares me :imp: :imp: :imp:

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #3,630 of 7,478
To put initial impression in one sentence: This amp is so good that it scares me :imp: :imp: :imp:

Ok.... at least I'm not delusional. :ksc75smile: :beyersmile: :L3000::darthsmile:

May I ask ... even if you've just got it... what headphone were you using with Oblivion and what dac. It's useful for me to know what is your system setup and I know you have some nice gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back