O2 AMP + ODAC
Nov 28, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #4,831 of 5,671
@castleofargh

Through trial and error I figured out the best settings for optimal sound quality for the original ODAC earlier this month

1. Windows: For out the ODAC disable all enhancements, set 24-bit 44.1 kHz output (or whatever sample rate you will be listening to). The ODAC can't entirely bypass DirectSound (the windows volume control is still enabled) due to true exclusive mode not being enabled in the firmware but we can get around the resampler. Do not make the ODAC the default device and remember to mute the built in soundcard along with all open programs. This will ensure that only Foobar is outputting through the ODAC and no other audio streams are mixed in. Since exclusive mode is not enabled in the firmware of the ODAC, Windows volume control will still be in effect. DirectSound will still be floating the 16-bit PCM output to 32-bit and dithering it back to 24-bit. At least you have avoided the horrible DirectSound resampler with it's ridiculous high end roll-off though. See: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/11/measurements-windows-10-audio-stack.html

2. foobar preference, output WASAPI push in 24-bit if you want to use foobar's volume control too for some reason. Under Advanced -> Playback -> WASAPI check high priority.

I'm not even sure the DirectSound ditherer isn't terrible either. My Modi 2 Uber in DirectSound sounded comparable to the ODAC in DirectSound/WASAPI when ABed and somewhat level matched with an Iphone app. With WASAPI event and exclusive checked or using the Cmedia ASIO drivers Schiit supplies, the M2U leapfrogged over the ODAC with regards to instrument separation and treble resolution while also being a little louder than with DirectSound (the amp had to be turned down to be somewhat level matched with the phone app). API support and proper driver implementation might be more important than measurements or whatever DAC is used. I'm not sure how an ODAC rev B vs. M2U would turn out but if the ASIO drivers for the rev. B's USB chipset are actually supported, I suspect it would be closer.

You have it backwards: the VST plugins lower the overall volume on the computer side or have anti-clipping settings you should definitely check that lower the amplitude. Thus you need additional amplification from the amp and the O2 needs to be used in 3.something x gain with the HD 650, sometimes towards 3 o clock for a reasonable volume. The combo just didn't have enough juice to use Sonarworks with already rather quiet recordings. Making the O2 clip the peaks from the output from the ODAC isn't so difficult.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #4,832 of 5,671
No, not hardly all cans arent flat for sure...

If material isnt well mastered  and stuff that is not at the levels via mic'ing, eq'ing during the mastering stage....all the eq'ing in the world wont fix that....garbage in garbage out....

I spend lots of time looking for well recorded, well mastered material that will sound great on most modern headphones....without the need for eq'ing....if you want to muck with eq'ing, create super special custom eq profiles for individual channels and or songs well sir have at it...

Life is to short for me to muck with that when its not needed.

A.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #4,833 of 5,671
  @castleofargh

Through trial and error I figured out the best settings for optimal sound quality for the original ODAC earlier this month

1. Windows: For out the ODAC disable all enhancements, set 24-bit 44.1 kHz output (or whatever sample rate you will be listening to). The ODAC can't entirely bypass DirectSound (the windows volume control is still enabled) due to true exclusive mode not being enabled in the firmware but we can get around the resampler. Do not make the ODAC the default device and remember to mute the built in soundcard along with all open programs. This will ensure that only Foobar is outputting through the ODAC and no other audio streams are mixed in. Since exclusive mode is not enabled in the firmware of the ODAC, Windows volume control will still be in effect. DirectSound will still be floating the 16-bit PCM output to 32-bit and dithering it back to 24-bit. At least you have avoided the horrible DirectSound resampler with it's ridiculous high end roll-off though. See: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/11/measurements-windows-10-audio-stack.html

2. foobar preference, output WASAPI push in 24-bit if you want to use foobar's volume control too for some reason. Under Advanced -> Playback -> WASAPI check high priority.

I'm not even sure the DirectSound ditherer isn't terrible either. My Modi 2 Uber in DirectSound sounded comparable to the ODAC in DirectSound/WASAPI when ABed and somewhat level matched with an Iphone app. With WASAPI event and exclusive checked or using the Cmedia ASIO drivers Schiit supplies, the M2U leapfrogged over the ODAC with regards to instrument separation and treble resolution while also being a little louder than with DirectSound (the amp had to be turned down to be somewhat level matched with the phone app). API support and proper driver implementation might be more important than measurements or whatever DAC is used. I'm not sure how an ODAC rev B vs. M2U would turn out but if the ASIO drivers for the rev. B's USB chipset are actually supported, I suspect it would be closer.

You have it backwards: the VST plugins lower the overall volume on the computer side or have anti-clipping settings you should definitely check that lower the amplitude. Thus you need additional amplification from the amp and the O2 needs to be used in 3.something x gain with the HD 650, sometimes towards 3 o clock for a reasonable volume. The combo just didn't have enough juice to use Sonarworks with already rather quiet recordings. Making the O2 clip the peaks from the output from the ODAC isn't so difficult.

About the first one, I'm using Musicbee w/ WASAPI built-in to it and it works just fine with no clipping and running in exclusive mode too.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #4,834 of 5,671
  @castleofargh

That's a nice setup, like the other dude I use Musicbee, but you can replicate most of those settings in there with some addons, just like in Foobar!

I like it when people write about their setups. It gives us mere mortals some incentive. I'm gonna give the steps a go when I get the Odac, because I'm still using my Xonar as a dac, and it does pretty well with ASIO. But I'm really interested in comparing the two dacs when Odac gets here.

Thanks again.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #4,835 of 5,671
  @castleofargh

Your plugins must be lowering the volume a lot as my HD600's with my ODA on 1x gain are normally at less than 50% (with windows and foobar at 100%).

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #4,836 of 5,671
Again , another headphone on my inventory that the O² drive perfectly fine : HE-560 . (1X Gain and - 10 dB on Foobar , 12o clock for the volume pot) . I don't know why i was expecting that it woulnd't be the case , peraphs read to much BS about orthos "requirements" .

Almost all headphone i have tried to plug on O² = Happy listening , the few that i didn't like was just headphones that i simply didn't like at all
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #4,837 of 5,671
I was wondering if the new JDS Elements uses the O2 for amplification? Maybe my memonry plays tricks on me but I remember that's the case? Does the O2/ODAC have anything in common with the Element?

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #4,841 of 5,671
Is there anyway to make the O2+ODAC the default device ONLY when powered on while connected to a computer? I want to use my speakers during normal use and have the amp only work when powered on. The only way I'm able to use both is by setting the amp as the default device and unplugging it from the USB when I want to use the speakers, but that can be a hassle.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #4,842 of 5,671
  Is there anyway to make the O2+ODAC the default device ONLY when powered on while connected to a computer? I want to use my speakers during normal use and have the amp only work when powered on. The only way I'm able to use both is by setting the amp as the default device and unplugging it from the USB when I want to use the speakers, but that can be a hassle.

no because what you turn ON is only the amp, the DAC is powered by the USB.
I use SSD(set sound device) to switch the audio output.  depending on what you want to do and what OS you use, another software might be better. but solutions do exist.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #4,843 of 5,671

Yes if you're on Windows, at least. Right-click your speaker icon, then choose Playback Devices. Right click on your ODAC, then select 'Set as Default Device'. That way, if you unplug your ODAC, it'll revert to your speakers, but if you connect the ODAC again, it automatically sets back to your ODAC. I'm running the same thing on my computers.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #4,845 of 5,671
Sorry for double post, but thought it would be worth bumping to let people know I found this program: https://code.google.com/p/audioswitch/

Basically can switch the playback device with a hotkey, the next best thing to auto-detect as can be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back