O2 AMP + ODAC
Nov 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,801 of 5,671
Has anyone in this thread with a Mac with USB 3 ports or Mavericks encountered any problems with their ODAC? I recently got a new iMac and have been experiencing glitches and pops on the oDAC (which works fine when plugged into a Win 8 computer). I exchanged the iMac for a new one hoping it was a hardware issue, but the new one gets glitches as well. :/

It's probably a problem with Mavericks actually.
Mavericks has really trashed my audio IO. Just getting things stable again...

Yet another reason to not upgrade. XD

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,803 of 5,671
+1 joining this club with a Mayflower O2+ODAC combo (rear power jack, low gain option)

not the newest or shiniest model but it'll do for a transportable unit i can take to work. replacing a Soundblaster MP3+

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,804 of 5,671
You can read about why an AC to AC adapter is used on the designers website under the O2 Design Process area. We cant provide u the direct link here.

Basically there are several choices, but take a look over there and if you still dont understand why you can PM me.

Thanks
A.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,805 of 5,671
  You can read about why an AC to AC adapter is used on the designers website under the O2 Design Process area. We cant provide u the direct link here.

Basically there are several choices, but take a look over there and if you still dont understand why you can PM me.

Thanks
A.

Appreciate your offer. I looked at design process but it's over my head. What I understand is, it's best for this design, and there's good science behind that. Good enough for me. :)

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,806 of 5,671
Many of the AC to DC adapters have noise issues and one way to get rid of that is to go with a AC to AC adapter, and do the AC to DC conversion yourself.

Many people think that AC power is "dirty or bad" and go thru some fairly expensive "solutions" to clean up or minimize their perceived beliefs that AC power is an issue etc....long debates....LOL.

The neat thing with that is all you have to do is run the O2 amp on batteries alone, NO AC, no ripple, no possibility of noise from the power source...just PURE DC, exactly what the doctor ordered.

With a simple unplug of the AC adapter you can see for yourself if there is any impact on running with the AC adapter or just with batteries (Pure DC).

The designer has measurements with AC power on his site...and they are exceptional.

Another reason why this little amp is such a marvel....

All the best
Alex

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,807 of 5,671
The main reason why the O2 uses an AC-AC adapter instead of an AC-DC one (which are more common) is that it needs a dual +/- 12 V power supply, and that is not possible with most AC-DC adapters without using a rail splitter/active ground that the designer wanted to avoid. With AC power input, it is easy to create a dual DC power supply using two simple half-wave rectifiers.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,808 of 5,671
All I want now is for someone to do a Full-On O2 Desktop Amp. Seems this product is definitely dead in the water for whatever reason.

1/4 and 1/8 jacks x 4 (yes, let it run at least 2-pairs for you and a friend)

1-3 watts max output

Keep the battery power for power outages? Lol. If there is a battery(ies) some kind of 'low charge' warning.

Variable Gain

1/8 in / RCA in

Better cable management

$200 or so (preferable less).

Done, I'll take three.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,809 of 5,671
Add to that the approach of integrating the AC-AC transformer inside the enclosure would have created issues of shielding the noise from the sensitive electronics inside the case.  Not to mention the can of worms of various safety type approvals in order to sell the product in various markets, an external AC transformer was the easy cost effective solution.

I actually went a step further and created my own little power supply box with a small toroid to feed mine, total overkill but hey why not..

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,810 of 5,671
mateohead...if you haven't already check out the DIYaudio site under headphone amps...lots of discussion and updates to the O2 good or bad depending on your view...

AGDR is a person that is leading the way over there now for this amp...

FYI

Alex

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,812 of 5,671
Yup.....u can get the ODAC and the batteries in a case, but the small original case makes this a challenge...but it can be done.

or get a larger case...

or be happy with what you have got!!

Its pretty darn good!

Alex

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,814 of 5,671
What are peoples thoughts on using o2+odac combo to drive Beyer T90's and EarSonic SM64's?

I've been doing some googling and haven't quite found an answer - but wasn't there meant to be a ODA (desktop amp), whatever happened to this concept?

Cheers fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back