O2 AMP + ODAC
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,832 of 5,671
For some it doesn't i completely agree. I like neutral so the music does the work. That said I sometimes reach for my Hd650s to add a bit of warmth to some of the colder sounding albums I own. I blame the producer/sound engineer for this problem though not the HP.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,834 of 5,671
I think the whole point of the HD-800 is to present everything the way the producer and artist intended to sound. The reason I'd like to pair'em with the O2+Odac is that this amp-dac combo is well-known for its neutrality and my aim is to listen the music exactly the way it meant to be...no coloartion whatsoever.

I fail to understand the logic behind having 1200-1550$ spent on the neutral HD800 and combine it with an amp which colors its sound. I think, and please take issue with me if i'm not correct - if the O2 can properly drive the HD800 in the bass territory (~640 Ohms!) then the infamous treble issue" of these headphones will vanish, or at least significantly reduced.

To be correct, I have never tried this combination, so it is only specualtion from my side. However, I strongly contemplate this combination for the future for myself as the "ultimate rig". So all opinions are welcome.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,835 of 5,671
I personally dont like the HD800 for its unforgiving nature.

I much prefer the HE-6 or T1 for their more musical yet detailed sound. The T1 sounds fantastic with the O2, it can't quite power the HE-6 though.

I have come to learn that total neutrality does not mean listening pleasure. I enjoy a more neutral sound, but the HD800 is just too clinical, I want to enjoy my music, not analise every bit of it.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,837 of 5,671
I want to hear every last bit of music as the artist intended. That's why I love the HD800 paired with a transparent amp such as the O2. This pairing does exactly that . I can see how this is transparency isn't for everyone though, we all have a flavour when it comes to the sound we like, when I buy a new album from a favourite band or artist I always hope that is been recorded /mastered to my taste but ultimately The goal of high fidelity sound is transparency .

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #1,838 of 5,671
Yes dynamic range is very important , I used to think lossless also but I've since discovered that to my ears well done compression , like mastered for I tunes, is as good as lossless to my ears. But that's for another thread!

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,839 of 5,671
Its such a subjective hobby.

I prefer my german maestro GMP 400 with my tube amp, but my final audio design piano forte X-G with the O2 or iCan+iTube rig.

Personal preferences. Valve amps colour the sound, but the colouring helps the GMP but not the PF X-G.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #1,840 of 5,671
Yes it is. A mate of mine has some ie8s and whenever he sticks the 800s or 650s on he takes them off and says 'not enough bass' . Funny enough his 'favourite albums for the ie8s ' are always what I would consider bass light albums. The bass heavy ie8s make up for the mastering shortcomings. Makes sense.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,841 of 5,671
You're talking sense here. According to my experiences though, modern pop music (hard rock and metal included) are way too compressed thus they are no-no for the HD800  + O2 combo I'm afraid. Naturally, there are exceptions, but the vast majority of the pop music since the early 90's are not meant to be listened via hi-end, neutral gears like the HD800 & O2.

That's a lesson I've learned through my Ultrsone Pro750.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,842 of 5,671
  You're talking sense here. According to my experiences though, modern pop music (hard rock and metal included) are way too compressed thus they are no-no for the HD800  + O2 combo I'm afraid. Naturally, there are exceptions, but the vast majority of the pop music since the early 90's are not meant to be listened via hi-end, neutral gears like the HD800 & O2.

That's a lesson I've learned through my Ultrsone Pro750.

O2 is high-end?
eek.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,845 of 5,671
I want to hear every last bit of music as the artist intended. That's why I love the HD800 paired with a transparent amp such as the O2. This pairing does exactly that . I can see how this is transparency isn't for everyone though, we all have a flavour when it comes to the sound we like, when I buy a new album from a favourite band or artist I always hope that is been recorded /mastered to my taste but ultimately The goal of high fidelity sound is transparency .

Technically that's impossible unless you use the exact same equipment the artist used to create the album in the first place. :wink:

For all you know, the artist could have made the album using a Beats Studio headphone and your HD800 makes the album sound unusually bass-light from what the artist intended it to sound like.

Objectively, the HD800 isn't neutral either.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf
Bass roll-off at 70 Hz and the brightness at 4-8 kHz are pretty noticeable to many people, myself included.

I tend to find the Objective 2 to be a great headphone amplifier overall, but synergy with certain headphones makes it a not-so-good choice. Brighter headphones like the AKG K 701 and HD800 don't sound too nice with the O2 in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back