O2 AMP + ODAC
Nov 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,787 of 5,671
Follow the directions in that link for bitstreaming, but I'm guessing it's just going to be a waste of time.

Thank you! It will probably be, but I will try it just for the shake of curiosity. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,788 of 5,671
Purchased this volume knob for my O2/ODAC:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HK7009

The knob improved grip and the slightly bigger size increased precision.
However, the volume potentiometer is poorly lubricated and still feels stiff. I'm considering lubing it up with some Deoxit contact cleaner.

Edit: There wasn't any opening in the potentiometer to spray the contact cleaner inside so I just sprayed it all around it in hopes that some would seep in. It didn't do anything. The volume knob still feels as stiff as before.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,789 of 5,671
Take the frontplate off...if you have not when u tried to lubricate the pot.

Put the knob back on, it is still hard to turn?

Wondering if the shaft might have been hitting the front plate hole and causing resistance.

Both of my 02's have the pots and are not that hard o adjust?

Alex

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,790 of 5,671
  Take the frontplate off...if you have not when u tried to lubricate the pot.

Put the knob back on, it is still hard to turn?

Wondering if the shaft might have been hitting the front plate hole and causing resistance.

Both of my 02's have the pots and are not that hard o adjust?

Alex

I did take the frontplate off. I took the whole board out of the chassis to lubricate the pot. The pot itself didn't have any openings in it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,791 of 5,671
The good news is although the pot might be a bit stiff to turn, the pot is a pretty good potentiometer.

I have small rubber feet on my amps and have no issue turning the volume and the amp stays put.

If you buld an 02 you can install it in larger case that weighs more and it should help the feel etc...

Alex

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,792 of 5,671
Hm, I might try this right now with the ODAC, providing it isn't going to be downsampled.
http://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
^ [legally] free DSD and high-resolution music files

I'll get there eventually...36 KB/second download speeds, yay.

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,793 of 5,671
It is very unlikely (about 0% chance) that the ODAC natively supports DSD. Not many DACs do at a low cost. The ODAC does not even support PCM at 88.2 kHz sample rate, which is what DSD is commonly converted to.

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #1,794 of 5,671
Yup, no sound is coming out of my rig while playing the DSD file in Foobar. I can't even properly setup Foobar to play DSD files though since there aren't any drivers for the ODAC in the ASIO settings. Bummer...

Oh derp. Audirvana Plus on Mac tells you if it can play DSD files or not.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,796 of 5,671
  The ESS DAC chip in the ODAC does PCM only.

And even if it did support DSD, the TE7022L does not. While good DAC chips with DSD support are available at a reasonably low cost (like the CS4398), if it is not supported by the USB/PCI interface chip and drivers, it will still not work.

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #1,798 of 5,671
Has anyone in this thread with a Mac with USB 3 ports or Mavericks encountered any problems with their ODAC? I recently got a new iMac and have been experiencing glitches and pops on the oDAC (which works fine when plugged into a Win 8 computer). I exchanged the iMac for a new one hoping it was a hardware issue, but the new one gets glitches as well. :/

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,799 of 5,671
Has anyone in this thread with a Mac with USB 3 ports or Mavericks encountered any problems with their ODAC? I recently got a new iMac and have been experiencing glitches and pops on the oDAC (which works fine when plugged into a Win 8 computer). I exchanged the iMac for a new one hoping it was a hardware issue, but the new one gets glitches as well. :/

I have a MacBook Pro Retina Display running Mountain Lion and USB 3.0 ports are just fine on my end with a Monoprice USB cable connected to the ODAC. I haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet due to people saying it actually slows down their laptops.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but have you tried adjusting the configurations in the Audio MIDI Setup app in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder?

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,800 of 5,671
FYI...

I have had several USB dacs, both asynchronous and synchronous...I use a music player called JRIVER Media Center.

I have had to adjust the player software buffering setting from a default 100ms to 50 ms to get rid of pops and clicks.

Depending on what youc pc is, memory, speed , cache you will possibly experience these very noticeable and annoying pops/clicks.

The Jriver interact forum has many posts about these types of issues with computer dacs and how to adjust to elimante.

Good Luck..

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back